• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do all pokemon evolve?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    I was just wondering if all pokemon actually have an evolution and they aren't or may never be fully revealed. For a game that is centered around small creatures changing form, I feel like all the creatures should be able to do this.

What brought this on was Luvdisc. I'm waiting for the ORAS remakes and I asked myself which Pokemon need an evolution. Obviously, a lot of them do, hence we wouldn't have mega evolution or evolutions in later generations (Tangrowth, Electivire, etc)

In the Pokemon world, do you think that all Pokemon actually can evolve into something (albert the legendaries) but just have not been discovered yet? I just wonder this as there are so many filler Pokemon that could be put to good use in OU tiers if just give the appropriate stat boost.

megavictini

Mega Victini
    Years
    I know there are definitely many w/o evolutions, and i dont think the creators would want so many released if they were "incomplete" evolutionwise. It makes sense to release a few new ones later on, but i doubt that all Pokemon will have evolutions at some point. some pokemon have no evolution, some have only two, some three. i think some pokemon just dont evolve, and it's probably a good thing. less work designing and naming. Besides, it's interesting that in the Pokemon world most evolutions are different. It's cool have individual pokemon, like say the eeveelutions that have a very unique evolution, while some pokemon are just one pokemon the entire time you have them. ^-^

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    The only thing I hope is that they keep adding propers evolutions to already existing pokes instead of only mega evolutions.

Years
    I guess it depends on if you consider mega evolution evolving, or you just mean it in the traditional sense. If it's the latter, then I'm pretty confident in saying that, no, not all Pokemon evolve. I think a good case in point are some of the gimmick Pokemon, like Rotom and Castform, who already change forms, but don't actually evolve. If they did evolve, why would anyone even bother with their previous forms, when they'd probably be able to use them on their new evolved Pokemon? That just seems like an overall waste in the end, which is probably why they'll never evolve, even if a Pokemon like Castform could actually benefit from it.

As for mega evolution though, I could see 90% of single-stage Pokemon getting one at some point, much like Absol, Heracross, and a few others. I could even some gimmick Pokemon like Chatot and Kecleon getting them, but probably not Unown, Castform, Rotom, etc.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's an interesting theory! Even if we step away from game mechanics and reasoning, I really wonder why some evolve and others don't. Maybe some are born weaker and grow faster and build up power through their life that can be channeled into radical transformations, while others lead a more stable life and aren't comparably weak from birth and thus can do well without evolving ever?

Compare a Torchic to a Zangoose, for instance. Torchic has got to be really tough and well leveled in order to beat a Zangoose in a fight. While Zangoose probably could hold its ground against a Blaziken... well, at least if Blaziken didn't have fighting type moves ;) But the general idea, I mean.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    No. This does not need to be so. The prime example being Rhydon's evolution, Rhyperior. Not only is the name cringe inducing, but the Pokemon itself looks like a 24K turd. I refuse to believe that Rhyperior is indeed superior to its previous forms. I feel so strongly about this that Rhyperior's face beat up my hands.

Just no. Some Pokemon need to be left alone.

Years
    All the legendaries don't have any evolutions, and we're certain they won't be adding any pre-evolutions or evolutions for any of them in the future.
    We could say the same for all those non-legendary Pokemon who do not evolve (Farfetch'd, Ditto, Smeargle, Luvdisc, Lapras, Girafarig, Castform, etc) but we can't say for sure as there were many Pokemon like Onix, Scyther, Magmar, Snorlax who were given evolutions in later generations.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2014
    To be honest, you never know. If someone had told you a couple of years ago that Charizard would be able to evolve, you would have thought they were crazy.

Back