• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do genders matter when catching Pokémon?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • when you are looking for a Pokémon to catch... do you also look for a certain gender of that Pokémon???

for example, I search from mainly female flying types, as soon as a flying type I want is determined, I look for a female of that Pokémon.... also, I look for female Flareons as well...

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    No, I don't really care. I have a female Machamp, Mr. Mime, etc.

Years
  • In the early days, my main team usually consisted of females.

But in Black, I catch the first gender I see of that Pokemon.

However, I usually aim for female Gardevoirs.

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Depends on the Pokemon. If it' Machamp or something I want male, something pretty like Gardevoir I prefer female but a lot of Pokemon I'm not too fussed about tbh.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not fussy over gender, unless there's an obvious gender difference, or if I want to name a Pokemon after someone and I prefer it match their gender. Other than that, I'd prefer a better nature over the gender I want.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't care, honestly. If it's a female I'll catch it just the same as a male.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used to have plenty of female Pokemon in Gen III, so that made me want to catch only male Pokemon (unless a species is all female) later on, but I mellowed out of that when I can't be bothered to find the male Pokemon I need with good IVs. When I want a mono-gender evolved Pokemon (Pokemon with one gender whose pre evolved forms can be both genders) like Gallade, I go for the corresponding gender of their pre evolved forms.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I tend to care more about natures than genders to begin with, I have a Naughty female Dragonite and it still kicks ass on my Heartgold game regardless.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • No, I don't care about the gender save for the cases when it matters for evolution (like say Combee, etc) or for breeding purposes. Otherwise I don't care at all - doesn't affect stats, the appearence changes in the rare cases it has a noticeable effect are minor too and I can't be bothred waiting for another encounter to get a Pokemon of a different gender I won't remember later on anyway.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    The only time gender matters for me is when I want to breed and Rivalry. Oh, and Combee. But other than that I just don't give a dang for whatever gender the Pokemon I catch is.

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
    Years
  • For obvious reasons, pretty ones should be female and stronger ones should be male for me.

However I tend to avoid having a team of one set gender incase I come across a Miltank with Attract x.x

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Like most people, it would seem, I only care if it's for breeding or evolution. My Gardevoir do somehow always end up being female, though. Odd. Even so, yeah, I don't discriminate based on gender. I can't think of any situations in battle where one is better than the other (except with Attract, which you can't really control anyway).

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    I can think of a few instances when gender matters statistically:

-If you want to breed a certain species of Pokemon, you first need a female of the same evolutionary line.
    -Whitney's Miltank was such a pain in the ass with Attract that you NEEDED a female on your team to resist its lures, preferably one resistant to Rollout.
    -Gender affects available evolutions; a few examples include Ralts, Combee and Snorunt.

Edit: Nice catch on the Rivalry ability, Zeffy! For Pokemon like Haxorus that can't get enough attack power, that's actually a significant addition to their arsenal.

Back