• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do genders matter when catching Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    I'm not particular about genders. Although I'd rather catch a female since it will be slightly easier to breed.

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
  • Unless it affects the evolution (like Combee,Burmy,Kirlia or Snorunt for instance) I don't really mind.
    Although, getting novelty female starters are always nice ...

lacella

monsters & macarons.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    I usually try to catch a gender that would match their appearance. If ima get a Jigglypuff, it's gonna be a girl. If I had a boy, that would just be embarrassing. XD

i'm exactly the same. i'd never catch a female mr. mime, geodude, or slowbro xDD.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • I always try for male, the little pink female symbol bothers me for some reason. Breeding being the obvious exception.

Zeus

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • The only instances where I care about genders is for breeding purposes, or if the Pokémon evolves in a certain way only if they're a specific gender. But if niether of those reasons apply, I don't mind which gender my Pokémon are.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • It doesn't matter to me what gender each Pokemon is, but it only matters for me if they are a Ghost type because I want all female ghost type Pokemon and I got them all in Pokemon Black and White without even trying.

:t354:TG

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Yeah, I wouldn't catch a female Gible, a male Chikorita and more..

well, except if I'm breeding lol

Years
  • In my earlier games, my main team usually consisted of females.

In Black however, I do catch mixed genders and do Ditto breeding.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Not usually, though I am picky when it comes to pokemon like machop (Male preferred) or... um... buneary (Female preferred). Sometimes gender actually matters, though, especially when I try to fill my pokedex (ex: combee)

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • It depends on the Pokemon.

Some of them I'd rather be male, and aim for male versions before I catch them, and I also do that with females as well. For example I'd rather Jigglypuff be female, and Charmander be male. XD So it's based on looks if it's extreme enough.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    (I could have sworn I already posted in this thread before o.o) Anyways I don't really think they matter, but I really want almost all of my Pokémon to be male and I don't know why. When I picture my Pokémon I imagine them in the anime, and then I try and decide what gender suits them best and that's male most of the time. Except for Pokémon like Jumpluff and etc.

eeveegirl777

Haha! I'm using the internets!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2015
    Haha, I actually spent nearly 20 minutes looking for a male Slowpoke in HG. A female Slowking is... pretty weird imo.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Strange. Almost everyone here only worries about gender if it has some significant part in the way they play (AI: Breeding, evolution, ability, etc.)

For me, I look at my Pokemon and can almost always select a gender for it. I can pass with a Male or Female Blaziken, but other likes Sceptile or Gardevoir have to be Male and Female respectively. I'm a very aesthetically-oriented person and it bugs the hell out of me to see a friggin' FEMALE Aggron or a MALE Milotic in my part. Just, NO.

Case and point: I WILL go way out of my way to get a Pokemon with a gender I can agree with.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I prefer females over males, but I do not look for a female one if i already caught a male one. I only look for the female counterpart, when I need to breed it.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I want it to match there apperence and nickname I give them

Gardevior and Gothitelle would be female
    while
    Stoutland and Machamp would be male

I tend to not care if its anything that doesn't match ;)

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I didn't notice it until last year, but I tend to catch female Pokemon more than males. I release all my males catches. =[

Back