• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do other fanfic authors resent the usage of Fakemon?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
If you're really worried, you could always use the old 'reversal trick' to get the reader to like your Fan Pokemon.

The reversal is when the writer puts the character or Pokemon in a situation where they get critically wounded or put in a jeopardy and their survivability is in question for a while in a Fic or series. It is one of the big things that Steven Bochco did to make Sipowicz into a likeable main character, and many directors and authors have used it in some way to improve the popularity of characters who's popularity would otherwise be in question. In fact, DC even did this in a way with Superman when his popularity started to wane. Granted, he was actually killed in that situation, but in the end he came back (rather, at the end of the trilogy). And he was more popular for quite some time as a result. And if I'm not mistaken, even Pikachu went through a situation like that early on.

And there's more examples than that. So try something like that for a creative way to introduce the Pokemon. You might be surprised at the responses you get from it.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Personally, I've never much cared for superman, but I get what you're saying, SBaby. Actually, that's kind of what I'm doing in my Mystery Dungeon fic Biohazard by having one of my fakemon being hunted by a rescue team. Granted, the creature really isn't that weak, but being a dark/psychic Pokemon and an intermediate stage creature, it could suffer a serious beating when ganged up upon by the Houndoom, Weavile, and Luxray chasing it with intent to do it harm (as far as the fakemon knows because punishment missions are what those three specialize in).

Also, Hanako, I never come up with a fakemon unless there's a good story as to why it exists. Example: Skunette, one of my skunk fakes, came about because early people in my fake region of Ronac found it an easy creature to tame and, unlike Stunky, it wouldn't spray or attack unless it sensed serious danger. Also, because people started to spoil it, this resulted in it developing into a creature that reflected that. However, people found this creature to be the most obnoxious thing alive and stopped pampering it. Enraged, the males turned feral and returned to the wilderness, while some females developed sneaky ways to get what they wanted.

Granted, I don't go over all of this stuff at once, but its definitely not like I haven't thought this stuff out.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
oh yeah, I just remembered something... going back on what I said earlier about using mutated monstrosities, it seems that not just the anime, but even the games use this from time to time. The main example of this is most likely Dark Lugia, from Pokemon XD. I also recently heard that in the new Mystery Dungeon games that were released in Japan...

Spoiler:

Though, I guess I may need to rephrase what I said earlier.

Now, I personally wouldn't mind using a monstrous abomination that might not even be considered a Pokemon (hell, I've got an idea for something like that myself). After all, the anime used the Celebi Golem and Meta-Groudon in the movies. If I don't establish it as an actual Pokemon, but a near-unstoppable, world-threatening sin against nature that's on a completely different level even from the legendary Pokemon, I'd be alright with that.

Looking back, Dark Lugia actually is a Pokemon in the sense that you are able to capture it and contain it inside a ball while it's still in that form (thus fitting the term "Pocket Monster" perfectly). However, I guess in another sense, it is different from other Pokemon in that it's unable to grow stronger through level-up, and storywise, it can't seem to grow close to humans, even its own trainer, unless it's completely purified. Thus, Dark Lugia is, more than anything, an anomaly on an existing Pokemon, which fits with what I said earlier.

I'd love to hear more people give feedback on this, as I personally find that the idea of mutated Pokemon is probably the best way you could possibly use original creatures that are (somewhat) different from the official bestiary while still staying loyal to the franchise's existing material. Albeit, they mainly seem fitted towards antagonistic roles, but I guess that's part of the idea: some villains are willing to play god in order to become stronger than what nature would allow, and it's up to the protagonists to figure a way past their newfound power. Though, that's not to say that the protagonists can't do the same, but it really should be established that altering one's Pokemon in this way turns it into a monstrosity or otherwise different from regular Pokemon (though, I guess there could be some exceptions... for instance, one could always play the Mewtwo card, Mewtwo being a Pokemon that was genetically altered during a cloning process, or altered as an embryo if you wish to go by game canon... but even still, while Mewtwo can be considered an official Pokemon, in most canon, he acted a bit like a berserk monstrosity himself at first, which goes to show that altering Pokemon is something that should be advised against in most cases).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2012
If the fakes are described well then I don't mind them. Although, I prefer the normal ones.

What is meant by Deus Ex Machina? I know it's latin for "God from the machine" but what does that mean? Being able to do something because one can make something?

Deus: God
Ex: Hmm
Machina: Modifying

It means Uber.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Actually, "deus ex machina" literally means "god in the machine." It's a term adopted from early theatre (ancient Greece, I think), when plays sometimes included gods lowered onto the stage with a crane-like machine to solve a seemingly hopeless situation that the mortal (or somewhat mortal) characters would have no way of solving themselves.

You're right about what it means, though. In a way. The solution that's labeled a "deus ex machina" would be sort of uber because that's basically what happens whenever one occurs, even nowadays.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I think there's some animals that still have to be converted to pokemon, so if you need something like that, I'd say a fakemon is necessary. Otherwise, try to use what exists.

Rosefrost

Alright, who put that there?!
Years
This has kind of been on my mind for about a week. I'd been working on the fanfics that I mentioned the ideas for a little while ago, Feral Legacies, Biohazard, and Week 23, when it struck me... What do others think about the usage of fakemon in fanfics? I know they're allowed, but I want to know if using my fakes is going to cause people to hate my fics.
I've been writing and making up a fanfic for two years now. I'm really working hard on it, it has an amazing plot, and I'm putting two fake pokemon in it, both with awesome backgrounds, and they are very important to the story. I would say that if you really need to, put a few fake pokemon in your story, but describe them well. If they're not crucial to the story, then it's probably best you leave them out.:cheeky:

Back