• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do people bash girls a lot online gaming.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
  • Ok so is it just me or are guys kinda rude to girls online. Like for me I'll get the kitchen jokes which are not even funny to begin with while playing GTA. I usually now just turn my mic off but I feel I should not have to do that. I will admit since switching from Live to PSN I hardly get jack on by guys. Its nice. It seems PSN may be nicer and girl friendly compared to Live. Is it just me or do others feel the same.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Hm I'm not to sure, since I don't do any online gaming /Dont have the devices nor care.
    I keep on hearing that Live is just a bunch of kids, which is mostly true. Just don't let it get down. Sexist Guys, pf. Yeah don't know why.

Years
  • Warning to everyone: Just saying that this thread isn't for sexist jokes. Any will be dealt with seriously.

I do think there is a certain amount of joking against females online, yes. That is really what some gamers are like and it can't be avoided really.​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think it depends on the game. I personally don't play Xbox Live or any of those kinds of things, but I'm HUGE on MMOs. But whenever I play them the people that know that I'm a girl are the people in my guild and my friends because as I tell them more about me they just learn as a matter of course that I'm female, and they're generally good people. They tell kitchen jokes but in good fun lol, not to actually anger me and because they know I'm a fan of jokes that aren't the most politically correct.

But I don't put myself in situations where people will know my gender indirectly, without me choosing to tell them. I guess that's the difference.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I play a lot of online games on Live, PSN and MMO games, in most MMO games I haven't come across anyone sexist but on LIVE and PSN i have seen a lot of it on games such as call of duty and other shooters as guys think its for them to play. I personally don't care who I play with aslong as they are good. I have a fair few female friends that I game with regularly.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Nah I don't discriminate, I think a certain person sucks when I play against them and waste them in less than 2 minutes anyways lol. Sometimes for the hell of it though I make my online gender female just to confuse my opponents then brag on how they got their ass kicked by a girl lol.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • It depends on the group. I've seen some where they'll throw out the kitchen "jokes". And I've seen others that'll fall all over themselves when a girl is in the room/lobby.
    I'm the type of person that doesn't care about one's gender. If you're good I'll tell you so, if you're bad I'll still tell you so.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    If you're playing online on the PC you'll get people falling head over heels to white knight and compliment females.

Spycicle

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • Well... it depends.
    Live I've never been on (but I've heard the stories),
    PSN people sometimes do it, although they focus moar on other people.
    And PC, it also depends on the game.
    Suggestion: Never play TF2 with a mic pre-puberty. Although I'm assuming you're not (females usually never sound diff anyway XD)
    Although PC is more harsher.

PC is full of idiots on most games ('part from the few that only worry about the games or in certain cases *cough*TF2*cough* hats.

Last edited:

Pudz

Incredible Edible Vegetarian
    Years
  • I think it's important to understand the difference between a "girl who plays games" and a "girl gamer". The former just wants to play the game and have fun, she might be as good or not as good or better, but that's a personal thing and nothing to do with her gender. The latter... makes a big show of pointing out that she's a girl and she's playing games; she usually expects special treatment will take any opportunity to remind those she's playing with that she's a girl and that makes her special.

Tbh, even /I'm/ not patient with the latter group.

Zythrone

The One And Only!
    Years
  • On live or PSN you get the children making a big deal about certain gamers being female...

I once (sort of still am) was a member of a guild on an MMO who the majority of the members were female, so I don't think its a big deal.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Any game that's vastly aimed at younger males, like GTA, Call of Duty, etc, will get you sexist remarks.

When you play things online that are more ''neutral'' territory you're far less likely to see sexist remarks.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • I tend to see females getting yelled at and joked about only sometimes when I play online, and it's usually when i'm playing a game with mic compatibility. To be honest, just because you are a female it doesn't mean you suck or are any better or worse that a male, and people who do bash girls in online gaming are stupid. There are times when i'll just be playing a video game, minding my own business, when all of a sudden one girl talks, then a group of guys start bashing on her. It just makes no sense whatsoever.

Rudy

give us a song ex boyfriend
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    i dont know i find it kind of funny. oops.
    i mean if it's all in good humour and all. i have a lot of gamer friends who tell me to get to the kitchen on skype and stuff because of my voice, but they don't mean it. it's mostly just weird humour. a lot of gamers seem to have it ha ha. but u_u i admit i'm a sort-of culprit for """""sexist"""""" jokes.

i guess it'd be nicer for them to keep their comments to friends even if they're joking or not, but what can you do really.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This is why I'd prefer to keep my gender hidden when playing online...or just not play at all. From what I hear, people are stupid and say some mean things. I'm not about to take any of that bullcrap, so I just wouldn't bother. Though it is funny when a girl outshines a guy in an online game, especially something "manly" like shooters and such, because then it's like "who's laughing now?" ;)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Happens enough, but I don't really play Live at all, I'm into MMORPGs a lot though, but I've never really experienced it there, at least not with malicious intent. Same as Toujours, I really don't mind jokes like that if they are just good fun.

Lancelot-sama!

i call it bipolar game fandom.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2018
    I remember back then where most guys were actually quite open to the idea of girls playing video games alongside them and they thought it was cool. I personally, have never run into any issues where any guys or 'masculine' girls have bashed on any other ordinary girls for playing online games or any others games. Some people are just rude in the world, but I think that some girls took advantage and used the "girl plays video games" position to mainly obtain attention to a point where I guess guys find it intolerable anymore.... I'm just sort of assuming that how it or why it happens now. that or just some boys out there really do think that some "manly" games aren't for girls, which isn't true.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • It really depends on the community as to the severity. I know for a fact that I can't so much as admit my sex on certain games without some failtastically obvious troll spamming his memes... >_>

Basically? There's 3 factors at play, all of them hilariously stupid.

1. People think you care whether they care you're female. (See: Pretentious angry gamer screaming he doesn't care you're a girl at the top of his lungs.) In fact, they think you will be unable to go on unless they care. That you will explode or something. I don't even know. They are offended by your pride, which they're almost guaranteed to imply is sexist at some point, and the most effective way to deal with them is to avoid getting angry at all costs. They will wind up looking bad instead of you if you treat them like the banal drama llama they are.

The notion that a girl gamer can have pride and not care what others think about it is beyond these types.

2. People for some reason assume that because you're female you're easy to troll. If you see them spamming sexism they fall under this category. You should totally ignore them. Don't so much as acknowledge them, as it's a lot easier for them to spam than it is for you to engage them without looking like you're being successfully trolled by others. (Which may result in them joining in) Use the mute function. The ignore function. The block function. Whatever it takes to not respond once you know what their game is.

3. People think that this is what all the cool kids do and want to hop on the bandwagon. There's not much to explain here. People actually genuinely think it's cool and progressive looking.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
    Years
  • This is why I'd prefer to keep my gender hidden when playing online...or just not play at all. From what I hear, people are stupid and say some mean things. I'm not about to take any of that bullcrap, so I just wouldn't bother. Though it is funny when a girl outshines a guy in an online game, especially something "manly" like shooters and such, because then it's like "who's laughing now?" ;)

Indeedy. :D I always laugh when I see a guy who's been inflating his own ego via irritating comments for most of the game getting utterly owned by a superior female player.

On a more serious note, it sucks that sometimes you'd rather not play online than have to deal with all the grotty little trollpuppets. But this is the problem with trolls - that more often than not, by virtue of their trolly status, they're abominably sexist/racist/plain stupid, which increases their annoyance factor by powers of ten.

...I just remembered that I'm an optimist. It goes without saying, of course, that great swathes of gamers online are just ordinary folk who wouldn't dream of implying that somehow gender affects how you play. (Because that'd be really, really stupid.)

shinx12345

Aquilla
    Years
  • I find that most guys find girl gamers to be much more interesting than most girls, especially when those guys are geeks. You might actually find that guys might go out of their way to be nice or impress you. In my opinion, if I was a girl, then I would prefer the jokes to be honest. And as a guy, witnessing the others it's kind of pathetic to see either really.

Back