• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do people still...

Elite 4 Sam

Steel Type User
    Years
    Do people still play the games for the fun of it besides me? It seems like now, It's all about IV's and EV's. I enjoy training whatever Pokes i want, with whatever nature i want, and train them without tracking(?) those stupid ev's.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I for one think I speak for the competetive community when I say that we genuinely find competetively training and battling just as fan as you find raising a team of your favorites. People play games for different reasons, some find the wifi battling far more exciting while other prefer more casual gaming or running through the story line. Its down to personal prefernce.

Elite 4 Sam

Steel Type User
    Years
    I agree completely with that and i dont have anything against it, i was just wonedering if anyone besides me still played it for the fun of it. Plus, i do like competitive battling. It fun.^__^

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    That's my point exactly- We do battle competetively for the fun of it. It's just as much a part of pokemon as beating the gym leaders in my opinion.

Elite 4 Sam

Steel Type User
    Years
    what i was getting at though is the fact that it seems like Ev's and Iv's are diminishing the value of the game, funwise(?) of course. I have nothing against comepetitve battling or Ev training, it just feels like the game isnt so lighthearted and fun, its just work.

Years
    For me right now it's about filling my dex as much as i can. Then if i'm not totally insane and sick of the sight of the thing i may try to get certain ones with specific qualities. Obviously I raise the chosen few as high as i can and aim to get very specific ones. But i'm not bothered about IV's and EV's right now but i can see their fascination for people. I never look at them. But i dont battle much.

theprofessional

~~dAft PUnk Rulez!!!~~
    Years
    The fun factor is felt during your quest to defeat the Elite Four and the Champion. You might feel an exhilitration for some of the Legendary Pokemon side quests, but when your done with that, the excitement wines down.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    For some, IV and EV training adds alot to the game, and gives them a reason to keep playing. I've never bothered with that kind of Pokemon training, so I tend to feel lost when people go on about how their level 100 Pokemon is stronger than someone else's because they EV trained it or something.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    While I agree that IV breeding and EV training can be a long and sometimes painful process, it is better than the alternative. The alternative is never ever even getting close to winning because your Pkmn aren't up to scratch. Even if you get really good at battling, predicting, whatever, a Modest Garchomp will never get you anywhere.

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
    Do people still play the games for the fun of it besides me? It seems like now, It's all about IV's and EV's. I enjoy training whatever Pokes i want, with whatever nature i want, and train them without tracking(?) those stupid ev's.

I get where your comming from i was like that once too

but the only reason why i EV train is to give a decent battle ya'know

but my team is composed of mostly Under-Used pokemon

like golduck, bellosome, swellow, and ofcorse Manectric

but i prefer the original pokemon the frist 250+ with some of the R/S/E and very few of the D/P pokemon

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
    I play pokemon for the fun of it, and to train one of each evolutionary line to level 50. Well, at least the 150 in the Sinnoh Dex, anyway. So yeah, I just like catching different kinds of pokemon and doing the best I can with whatever stats it has. I have partially EV trained my Barboach, but I don't know if I'm going to follow through on that or not, as it's the first pokemon I've ever EV trained.

blitzbear

aprentice breeder(maybe crazy)
    Years
    i play pokemon just for the fun of it i mean im really goo at it know almost everything there is to know but i dont really much care about ev training becuase lifes to short to waste time bothering to do that even if it does make my team stronger

Macaveli

Pokemon Azure Version Hacker
    Years
    What? IV EV training can't be fun? LOL
    I still play them for fun.It's not as fun to play now than it was when I was nine because I'm alot smarter so it's to easy now, back then it seemed alot deeper and fun. I still love Pokemon because I loved it when I was young,know what I mean? Ah the good old days
    The funnest moment I remember was when I got Diamond and watched the opening video,I felt like a little kid again

What? IV EV training can't be fun? LOL
    I still play them for fun.It's not as fun to play now than it was when I was nine because I'm alot smarter so it's to easy now, back then it seemed alot deeper and fun. I still love Pokemon because I loved it when I was young,know what I mean? Ah the good old days
    The funnest moment I remember was when I got Diamond and watched the opening video,I felt like a little kid again

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2009
    I know what you mean. I don't care if people want to do all these crazy things with natures and Es and Vs. If they want to cool. I think it's too much work. I really don't even see the point in battle tower. I don't want to battle people on these forums cuz I know I'd lose. I just love to catch 'em all. I follow the slogan. It takes mukch longer in this game cuz there are so many damn pokemon

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    EV and IV training is more for the trainers who want to customize and design their own unique team. Some do it, others dont. It entirley depends on what you want out of the game, because besides, once you've completed the game and maybe obtained all the Pokemon, what else is there left to do? It can increase the longivity of the game and give it a purpose after the story.

I'm in the process of desiging my own Ev trained team, but it is my first attempt so its taking me a while. I'm hoping to EV train my favorites, that way at least I know they are the strongest I can make them and if I lose in battle itll be down to my choices. But it will feel great when I win my first battle with them ( if i ever do lol :P). Im not in it to be the best at battling, I'm not going to be a really competitive battler like that. I'm gonna battle for the sheer fun of it, while I secretly snigger at the sore winners I may come across ;)

carter756978

Bass Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    i play for fun because i cant be bothered with evs, ivs, or natures. Whats the point if u have a good team already.

ollieon

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    i agree too, i dont see the point in searching endlessly for a pokemon virtually identical to your own but with a different nature.

Mystery2009

The Legacy Begins Now
    Years
    As for me, being a competitive battler makes spending those few days/mins breeding and ev training worthwhile when I get to see my creation rip someone to shreds. I don't like losing quite personally so all that "useless" time spent pays off(with over time)

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    I use only my favorites. For example, my bulky-Water in Diamond will be Wailord, even thought it is probably the most discriminated Water-type ever. I would never use an OU pokemon I don't like, such as Dugtrio. It's simply ugly for me. And it's not so strong either. I falls to a single Ice Shard/Aqua Jet, what makes even it's speed useless.

But how does that constract with EV training? A "bad" pokemon who has a good set and was trained well will be much better then a "good" pokemon that has no strategy. Any player can staff 6 Ubers to his/hers team. The enitre beauty in the game is to defete stronger foes.

Don't forget what Karen said!
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on--the Champion is waiting."

Last edited:
    Back