• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do people take pokemon too seriously?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
  • This is a true matter of fact. Take a look at this photo. A REAL life cubone xD

Do people take pokemon too seriously?

lily12973486

Your Worst Nightmare
    Years
  • cute picture! I've actually seen pokemon in real life but nobody believes me....... no joke. I see Darkrai alot. no i dont mean regular shadows. I've spoken with pokemon. My friend and I have studied pokemon so much we know their language. and again no im not crazy,out of my mind,a lunatic,insane,a poke-freak,or lying.

Chelzbell

magical girl undercover
    Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 13, 2010
    I would not be very happy if someone deleted my game, as anyone here would be. :3;

Beginnings

thx tom-san for banner/avvy
    Years
  • I enjoy battling and whatnot, but I do believe people take it too seriously with all the rules and regulations. I believe that no hacks should be th eonly rules. yea. Also, when people go to the point when they can't stop thinking out pokemon and waht they're going to do next etc etc etc that kind of makes me mad because its just a game, yes its jolly good fun and what not, but its just a game ya know? But yea, I would be mad if someone deleted my game save, but I'd get over it :)

Reniko_Seika

He who plays the hacks
    Years
  • Maybe not Pokemon in general, but I do know people who take compeditive battling too far, the kind that comlplains when things don't go their way, or shoot off really wierd insults when you beat them.

Giblie

Gible Lover
    Years
  • I wouldnt like it if someone deleted my save file when i do my best to train and beat the game. But i dont think I take it too seriously.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2008
    One word. TOURNEYFAGS. They don't just exist in SSBB, they exist everywhere. They RAPE games until there is NO FUN WHATSOEVER left and FORCE their "fair" rules upon people that just want to have fun. One example, EV training. It started off as just a cool little mechanic, now you cant survive online unless you EV train.

And don't get me started on "Pokephiles". Ugh...

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • tourneyfags? i can only imagine what that means. luckily, i haven't had the luck of...ever meeting one...and i don't plan on either.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Competatively, yes, some people take it way too seriously. I myself strive to be a moderately good battler. Not here to be the best, just to hold my own anywhere. Some people, however, make it their second nature =/

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • In considering the question this topic poses, I feel some people just have trouble drawing the line between people's lives in an online community such as this, and people's real lives.

Fact is, pokemon is a hobby. I like to think that no one here lives and breathes pokemon, 24/7. I like to think that every member here does other things and has some semblance of a life outside of pokemon and outside of these forums. Alas, it is no more of a hobby than collecting baseball cards. And as is normal human sociological behavior, people like to discuss their hobbies with people who share them. It's not taking it too seriously.

Emerald Yoshi

If Yoshi was a Pokemon...
    Years
  • It is just a game, I dont get mad over it :D But it can be frustrating when your opponent gets a critical hit XD Id do believe people take Pokemon too seriously, It's a game, just a game, but REALLY fun :)

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Competatively, yes, some people take it way too seriously. I myself strive to be a moderately good battler. Not here to be the best, just to hold my own anywhere. Some people, however, make it their second nature =/

I don't see how making pokemon your second nature is taking it too seriously, just like shooting a basketball or throwing a curveball becomes second nature if you do it enough.

The way I see it, if getting all worked up and angry about pokemon is how somebody plays and it's how they enjoy pokemon, I don't really care or think they're taking it too seriously.

When somebody starts to attack people when they lose a battle, then yeah, they're taking it too seriously, but every now and again people get wrapped up in games they don't want to stop playing and yeah.

Basically, as long as people treat pokemon for what it is - a game (even if they get all worked up about it) - I really don't think they're taking it too seriously.

Years
  • yea sorry about that.

for example about taking pokemon too seriously

someone deleted the save data on your game? would you throw a fit?
    if someone just beat you 6-0, would you get really angry?
    there's a shiny pokemon that you absolutely must catch, so you go out of your way to get it by any means necessary.

its a vague question to begin with i know, but im just curious as to how everyone else feels about the game.

Tsk... I was so shocked when my cousin saved over my Sapphire that I gave up pokemon for 2 years ('04- August '07) since that was the first time that happened to me. And now my Mom forced me to "let" my sisters play Emerald and Diamond by confiscating it. I only mangaed to save my FireRed by not revealing it. Tsk... now I'm trying my best not to get my saved game erased.:disappoin

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I know tons of people hwo take Pokemon to seriously LAMOS :laugh:

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • yea sorry about that.

for example about taking pokemon too seriously

someone deleted the save data on your game? would you throw a fit?
    if someone just beat you 6-0, would you get really angry?
    there's a shiny pokemon that you absolutely must catch, so you go out of your way to get it by any means necessary.

its a vague question to begin with i know, but im just curious as to how everyone else feels about the game.

That's not being too serious, it's called being passionate about something you enjoy. It's natural.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • That's not being too serious, it's called being passionate about something you enjoy. It's natural.

Yeah I'm agreeing with that. Just because it's pokemon doesn't mean you can't be passionate about it and it can't be of importance to you.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    In a way they do.
    why else would someone set a lizards tail on fire and nickname it "charmander"?
    but i won't be angry if someone saves over my file in pearl.
    I will be angry if someone pretends to be my friend and steals my pearl though.
    i hated it when my friend took my emerald(with 300 hours on it) and traded half the pokemon on it just because i didn't train up his pokemon.
    true, its being passionate, but sometimes people take it too far and worship nintendo for it.
    and i have only once gotten really angry about pokemon, and that was when my friend accidentally jumped on it and broke it in half.

lily12973486

Your Worst Nightmare
    Years
  • My friend seriously takes pokemon too far. She always pretends she's a pokemon in her little universe that she seems to be trapped in. But then again I have my own little world all to myself where pokemon exist and such........ So I guess I take pokemon to an extreme level too. But in our minds we call it having fun not taking it too far,not creepy to us, to others it's usually very creepy........ But we don't care! If our feelings are hurt then we retreat to our little pokemon universe. I guess we make it our life's dreams to find some mysterious genie and wish for pokemon to exist in our real universe, in reality.

Saruboy

Closet pokemon fan
    Years
  • In a way they do.
    why else would someone set a lizards tail on fire and nickname it "charmander"?
    but i won't be angry if someone saves over my file in pearl.
    I will be angry if someone pretends to be my friend and steals my pearl though.
    i hated it when my friend took my emerald(with 300 hours on it) and traded half the pokemon on it just because i didn't train up his pokemon.
    true, its being passionate, but sometimes people take it too far and worship nintendo for it.
    and i have only once gotten really angry about pokemon, and that was when my friend accidentally jumped on it and broke it in half.

Whoa!! Someone actually set a lizard's tail on fire? That's some serious crackhead logic right there. Where did this happen??

Back