• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do Pokemon evolve?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • No I don't mean in the sense of Bulbasaur to Ivysaur, but how we would define evolution in general. A good example of this may be when Team Rocket's Meowth was a stray and learnt human speech and how to walk on two legs instead on all four. Do you think Pokemon could evolve like that?

In all aspects, I feel like it could happen eventually. Considering in the games Pokemon can breed with other Pokemon which aren't it's own kind, so you could get a hybrid Pokemon, or something like a Skitty developing characteristics of a Marill, like being able to breathe underwater or something, or a Piplup being lighter than usual being able to float when it flaps it's wings from breeding with a Masquerain. I just think it would make a good discussion for everyone to discuss something different.

Haru

Wolf Simp
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    If Meowth can do it why couldnt all the others do it?
    i mean they all have a high intellect.\

Off Topic: whos that in your signature?

i beat B/W and never saw that dude until a Pokemon TCG Commercial.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Evolution depends on the theory of natural selection. From the looks of it, death is very scarce in the Pokemon world. I think that the general ease for survival of Pokemon doesn't create an environment that would allow proper or normally paced natural selection, and therefore evolution. It might be possible, but on very minor scales.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I never understood why Meowth could talk but the so-called "super genius" Pokemon like Alakazam and Metagross. Alakazam is supposed to have a 1000+ IQ and Metagross is supposedly superior to the best super computer. and Both are Psychic types. You're telling me Pokemon like that can't communicate with humans using human languages telepathically?

As for the Bulbasaur to Ivysaur style evolutions, it is possible that it actually is evolution in the way the word is generally used. There is this process called punctuated equilibrium, meaning little to no net change appears over time. Then all of a sudden, a species suddenly progresses at a rapid rate, instantly becoming another species.

A simple way to look at this would be:

Thing A --2 years> Thing B --2 years> Thing C

^ Evolution in the way most people think of the word.

Thing A --4 years> Thing B --1 second> Thing C or just Thing A --4 years> Thing C

^ Punctuated Equilibrium. Not the best example, but I believe it gets the point across.

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
  • I never understood why Meowth could talk but the so-called "super genius" Pokemon like Alakazam and Metagross. Alakazam is supposed to have a 1000+ IQ and Metagross is supposedly superior to the best super computer. and Both are Psychic types. You're telling me Pokemon like that can't communicate with humans using human languages telepathically?

Maybe they see themselves as too intelligent and prefer to speak their own language instead, like the beholders bonelords in Tibia speaking 469?

Off Topic: whos that in your signature?

i beat B/W and never saw that dude until a Pokemon TCG Commercial.

I think it's Landorus or Thundurus.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • It is highly possible to occur of course. If we would take into account Darwin's belief. We could have assumed that the present existing Pokemon are evolutions of their past generations. Much like how the Caterpie nowadays learned Bug Bite to further protect itself against its predators. it could also be the reason why the fossils went extinct, because they could not cope with the fast-paced growth in the ancient world.

These theory might still be occuring, if it is. Evolution is a desirable attempt at change that all Pokemon will undergo sooner or later.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah I do think that Pokemon could evolve over time. I'm sure it'd be just like animals in the real world and they'd take a few million years to change though. Who knows though, maybe in the Pokemon world it could go faster.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Maybe.

Like Magikarp's past:

In the distant past, it was somewhat stronger than the horribly weak descendants that exist today.

(quote from Pokemon Red/Blue pokedex)

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    Well, Pokemom, like any other living organism, most follow the laws of Biology. Procreation, development, needs for survival. Biologically speaking, they must have been effected by Evolution some where along there time line. Example: Fossil pokemon : Ancient pokemon that died out through the course of History. Maybe they didn't die out, maybe they just began to grow into new pokemon. Maybe some change in the world occurred and evolution killed off a majority, and those who survived had to adapt to the changed, becoming "new" pokemon. ANd through breeding began to change.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Look at Kabuto/Kabutops and Scyther.. they are very very similar. Potential pokevolution.

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • If I am correct, the Pokédex (can't remember which) says that all Pokémon (except legends) evolved from Mew so evolution exists in the Pokémon world.

@MantisboyN: You're right, they look slightly similar.

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
  • Evolution depends on the theory of natural selection. From the looks of it, death is very scarce in the Pokemon world. I think that the general ease for survival of Pokemon doesn't create an environment that would allow proper or normally paced natural selection, and therefore evolution. It might be possible, but on very minor scales.

Not completely, for example there is a myth that humans aren't evolving - but many biologists believe that we are doing so slowly, I think it was amongst a couple of our senses (taste especially).

Mutation can spread and create a different branch if the creatures survive, and as there is little death then mutations would likely survive and breed...and as has been said 'hybrids' would create an input of different DNA which would alter abilities substantially.

I admit my human example is 'minor scales' as you put it, but shows it can happen - when you consider this mixed in with the huge changes breeding with separate species gives you get a chance of a LOT of mutation and evolution.

Years
  • I guess it all depends on whether Pokemon genetics work like real world genetics. After all, you can already get strange combinations with Pokemon knowing moves that don't seem to make any sense for them. (What is it about a Bidoof that makes it able to use the move Thunderbolt?) There's gotta be some kind of adapting going on which is a lot different from the slow, changes-over-time evolution of the real world. That suggests that they're able to change rather quickly so it makes sense that over time they would have even greater changes.

Aside from natural selection there's always the possibility of a species with a particular mutation finding itself in a biological niche (for instance, it floats off to a secluded island) that other of its species can't reach and then multiplying like mad without the influence of others of its species. There doesn't need to be a lot of survival-of-the-fittest type stuff going on.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I don't know how many of you use Bulbapedia, or credit its accuracy. However I read this article a few days ago and feel it would be worth it to quote it here.

If I am correct, the Pokédex (can't remember which) says that all Pokémon (except legends) evolved from Mew so evolution exists in the Pokémon world.

"At this time, Mew may have been plentiful and lived in large numbers......

It is possible that the Mew population may have decreased at this stage, as they slowly gave way to other Pokémon species."

I do believe in this theory, that all Pokémon descended from Mew, just like how modern species today descended from common ancestors.

Like Magikarp's past:

In the distant past, it was somewhat stronger than the horribly weak descendants that exist today.

"At this point the Magikarp population mutated and became weaker."

I was also thinking about Zubat in relation to real-life bats. Modern bat's eyes are small and poorly developed because they evolved in caves where eyesight wouldn't be a useful sense [the bats use echolocation instead.] So perhaps Zubat evolved in the same way? [Hence, their lack of visible eyes] And even Golbat and Crobat have small eyes.

Zet

Years
  • I never understood why Meowth could talk but the so-called "super genius" Pokemon like Alakazam and Metagross. Alakazam is supposed to have a 1000+ IQ and Metagross is supposedly superior to the best super computer. and Both are Psychic types. You're telling me Pokemon like that can't communicate with humans using human languages telepathically?
    An IQ has nothing to do with how smart a person is, but as to how fast they can learn and adapt to difficult tasks and concepts. So with an IQ of 1000+ they can learn the human language incredibly fast but as to whether or not they want to waste their breath on a being with lesser intelligence is up to them.

I think all pokemon know that if they want to do something different than other pokemon there will always be a price to pay, and Meowth is a fine example of that. So I think all pokemon find it useless to give up on something just to be different when they can easily communicate with a human via actions or how they talk.

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
    Years
  • They might be able to. Meowth did not evolve though. Individuals can't evolve, only species as a whole. In order for a species to evolve individuals must have traits that can be passed from parent to offspring, and the population must be too big for everyone to survive. Then when the individuals with traits that make them more susceptible to death die, and the species with more desirable traits will breed and the species will evolve as a whole.

Back