• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do Pokemon from RGBY tend to be weaker than Pokemon from GSC?

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
  • So I've been playing Pokemon Yellow and Silver for years, and I uploaded my Pokemon from Yellow onto Stadium 2 to use instead of the standard rentals. They were pretty good in my opinion. Later on, I uploaded my Pokes from Silver onto Stadium 2 and I was fairly surprised to say the least. They were MUCH stronger and had IMMENSELY better stats compared to my Pokes from Yellow. To give you an idea, my Ampharos's special stat matched my Articuno's from Yellow. I was dumbfounded because Ampharos isn't even a Pokemon I've done a whole lot with. By the way, they were both level 50. I looked at my Pikachu's stats, and I know Pikachu isn't even that great with many of its stats, but to my dismay, its stats weren't even THAT good. And so I'm wondering, do Pokemon from GEN I games tend to be weaker than Pokemon from GEN II? Is there specific training I am doing (or should be doing) in Yellow/Silver? Do you know of any training I could do?

Cheers! :t149:

Years
  • Generally, in battle situations, Pokemon from the Metal line are bulkier than Pokemon from the Color generation, but if you catch a 1st gen poke in a 2nd gen game, it will be bulky. This is just what I observed.
    Also, you said that your Ampharos and Articuno are both level 50, well, you catch Articuno at level 50 in Gen 1 games, so it has no Special Attack EVs, while your Ampharos probably does.
    And for Pikachu, it has even worse stats that most people think. 35 in HP, 55 in Attack, 30 in Defense, 50 in SpAttack, 40 in SpDefense, and 90 in speed. I wouldn't expect much from a Pikachu besides the fact that it's the mascot and super cute.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Probably has to do with the Special stat not being split in Gen I, so I'm not sure how Pokemon Stadium 2 dealt with it when your Yellow Pokemon were sent to the game, since that game has the split. But I'm pretty sure that's a major reason.

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
    Years
  • Generally, in battle situations, Pokemon from the Metal line are bulkier than Pokemon from the Color generation, but if you catch a 1st gen poke in a 2nd gen game, it will be bulky. This is just what I observed.
    Also, you said that your Ampharos and Articuno are both level 50, well, you catch Articuno at level 50 in Gen 1 games, so it has no Special Attack EVs, while your Ampharos probably does.
    And for Pikachu, it has even worse stats that most people think. 35 in HP, 55 in Attack, 30 in Defense, 50 in SpAttack, 40 in SpDefense, and 90 in speed. I wouldn't expect much from a Pikachu besides the fact that it's the mascot and super cute.

That makes sense. I've heard of EVs and that's what I initially assumed, but wanted some reassurance.

Probably has to do with the Special stat not being split in Gen I, so I'm not sure how Pokemon Stadium 2 dealt with it when your Yellow Pokemon were sent to the game, since that game has the split. But I'm pretty sure that's a major reason.

Can you explain what you mean by 'split'? Thanks :)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres were all good in Gen I because of their massive 125 Special stat, which acted not only as Special Attack but also as Special Defense. Articuno got nerfed (a MASSIVE nerf) in Gen II, while Zapdos and Moltres remained viable. The dogs from Gen II are all more balanced, probably with Raikou being the best of the three (unfortunately, also the ugliest of the three and probably of entire Gen II). I think the dogs are better, but if they existed in Gen I, I would say the birds would be better in RBY.
    I wouldn't say Gen I is worse, because it does have things like Alakazam, who was a total monster back in Gen I, Machamp, Rhydon, Tauros, etc. Gen II does have Scizor (the best Bug-type in the game), Heracross (strong contender), Ampharos (way better than Raichu), Miltank (Whitney's incredibly annoying cow), etc.

Back