• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do Pokemon not heal in their pokeballs?

Years
  • It seems as if whenever a Pokemon is injured they never put them back in their ball, opting to carry them. My question is, even if it doesn't heal them, why not put them in their ball anyway? Easier to carry and safer.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • My guess would be that it adds to the drama of the moment, seeing the Pokemon wiped out and hurt. It would make sense your way though, I'd never really thought of it like that!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, I think it's because the trainers want to hold their pokémon so they can comfort them and see directly how they are doing. Simply.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • It makes them easier to travel with, and doesn't exert any effort on them while they are carried around in their pokeball. If Ash had Pidgeotto fly around already the time for instance he would always be too tired to battle. Carrying them may add some dramatics into the situation cause the audience can visually see that the pokemon is injured. Or they may not have their pokeballs on them when the injury occurs.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • It depends on the size of the Pokemon, for example, a Pikachu or a Chikorita, or maybe a Natu. Those Pokemon are easy to carry with and they can be comforted easily. A larger Pokemon such as a Snorlax or a Sudowoodo are difficult to manage, I would prefer them to be inside the Poke Balls until the trainer reaches a Pokemon Center.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Well the reason why pokeballs never heal pokemon is a thing (one of a few) that anime took from games.
    And the reason for you to put pokemon in pokeball is the one everyone mentioned. I wouldn't want to carry Wailord xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As said above, I'd carry a small Pokemon if it makes them feel more comfortable and more rested along the way. If it's big, I'd return it to its Poke Ball, then run to the nearest PC.

As for the topic itself, I don't think trainers put Pokemon back in their Poke Balls before carrying them to the Pokemon Center because carrying them may make them feel more comfortable.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
  • Well, watching all the episodes over again (only on ep. 026 from restarting) I noticed that in the first few episodes, there was a fight between this little kid who referred to himself as a samurai and ash. Ash sent out his Pidgeotto only to notice that it was worn out from the last battle Ash had with it. Misty had said something like "Ash, don't you know you have to let your pokemon rest before calling them back out again!?". That's the closest to "healing" in the pokeball as I have seen or heard. This is a very good question though.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, watching all the episodes over again (only on ep. 026 from restarting) I noticed that in the first few episodes, there was a fight between this little kid who referred to himself has a samurai and ash. Ash sent out his Pidgeotto only to notice that it was worn out from the last battle Ash had with it. Misty had said something like "Ash, don't you know you have to let your pokemon rest before calling them back out again!?". That's the closest to "healing" in the pokeball as I have seen or heard. This is a very good question though.

Going along with that, Ash and co. get lost for 4-5 episodes sometimes without entering a city, so unless there's random rest houses in the middle of no where, they need to be healing them somehow....maybe with revives and the like, which have been shown in the anime as well.

Guest123_x1

Seeing as how Pokémon don't automatically heal inside their Pokéballs in the games unless healing items are used or they are taken to a Pokémon Center, I think the same scenario applies to the anime as well. It's possible they show trainers carrying fainted Pokémon outside their Pokéballs merely for dramatic effect.
    Misty had said something like "Ash, don't you know you have to let your pokemon rest before calling them back out again!?"
    Outside of what I just said, that's entirely another possibility, though not necessarily healing from injuries.

Back