• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do two people dating have to be similar in a relationship?

Years
  • If two people are good together they will naturally feel interested in what each other are doing. If you feel disinterested, then it's not going to happen. But these things are complicated, the best thing to do is just to go with it and see how it turns out.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    I've seen couples which are complete oppisites
    You aren't really one to judge this type of stuff.

I think a relationship based solely on emotion is not going to last. If the two share a passion, at least the two can relate to each other more easily, which includes things to do other than sex all the time. But that doesn't mean sharing all the typical things in common like musical taste or whatever. You have to go deeper...into inception. Playing the same sport is a pretty good bonus, I think.

Aorio

this love will see me through.
    Years
  • I'd say that there are some things that, if two people have entirely different views on the subject, will set the relationship up for failure. For example, I am a vegetarian and an animal-rights activist. I could NEVER be with someone who was into hunting or didn't respect animals. I would not respect someone like this at all. In fact, I'd probably hate their guts. Because for me, moral aspects of someone's character like that shows what kind of person they are. Something that my grandma always tells me is that, when I'm looking for a guy, observe how he treats his mother/parents/siblings, and that's directly related to how he'll treat you one day.
    On the other hand, however, I think being similar on too many levels or in too many ways can be bad as well. Having different opinions and interests, to me, keeps conversations interesting. I love debating with my boyfriend over things we don't see eye-to-eye on. It shows me a different point of view, and him as well. If we both liked the exact same bands, were both interested in the exact same hobbies.. I'd just get soo.. BORED. Plus, it gives me a chance to hang out with girlfriends and him a change to hang out with his guyfriends.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Two people who want to be in a relationship probably need to have similar outlooks on life or have similar goals. Something kind of broad which can keep them together. You need to have a certain level of comfort around someone and depending on what kind of person you are you might only need a little similarity or you might need more. I know that I would have a hard time in a relationship with someone who had very different morals than I do no matter how much I loved them.

Differences in taste, style, music, and things like that aren't going to keep two people apart if they have something else keeping them together. It's even important in your non-romantic relationships. My best friend and I are similar in a lot of ways, but when you look at our tastes and styles and hobbies we're almost on opposite ends of the... hobby spectrum. Or something. The point is, we're friends and we're different in a lot of ways, but if you stripped away a lot of things we'd be pretty similar and that similarity is what's kept us friends.

This pretty much sums up my opinion. Similarities are vital in life goals, but as far as petty interests, like music and movies, it is not very important to the relationship.

PKMN Trainer Rose

Swimmer Rose
    Years
  • I don't think a couple have to have everything or even anything in common to be compatible :) My boyfriend and I guess we're kind of in between. We have some stuff in common but at the same time we're total opposites. To put it in Pokemon terms xD He's a grass type and I'm water ha ha. Totally opposite huh? But! We get along rather well and are madly in love with each other and can get through anything together. Also once your together long enough one person can you into something you thought you would totally ever even go near. :bandit: Hope that helps :)

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Well, I think if the passion's there, and if both people like each other, you can have similar or different hobbies, tastes, etc. Just depends on the people involved. Maybe someone cant stand a person with the same exact hobbies or whatever. Maybe another person says "Like in chemistry, opposites attract." I don't know, I'm neutral here.

hellojazzii

s ♥ n e
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 7, 2014
    as long as they have SOME sort of common ground, i think a relationship can last.

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
  • I usually like to have a personality match, otherwise no matter how hard you try, you're going to run into some trouble down the road.
    I don't believe you need the same hobbies, etc. though. Personality is key ^^

Years
  • I think its important to have some intrests as the other as well.
    But if it were all the same it would most likely not be good either @.@ Even if you want to spend a lot of time together.. i think its also important to do things on your own now and then.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, I can understand how similarities can help in a relationship, and people with different interests can get bored of each other. I think there is the possibility of dating someone with different interests, I mean that can even somewhat be attractive in some ways, that whole good girl gone bad scheme n' what not. I could also see it as a somewhat experience, and you'd learn and get into new stuff this way. I mean, come on though, people with the same interests and similarities can get bored of each other too, seeing as the persons interests would be nothing new to you.

Although, it's a big difference with agreeing with the stuff the person your dating belives, rather than just different interests.

But yeah, I think I'd be all for different interests, just for the experience.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • It's a delicate balance. You must have enough in common so that you don't lose interest in one another, or fall victim to awkward silences and such. You must also have enough differences so that you constantly stimulate each other intellectually and such so that you don't "get sick of yourself" so to speak.

The biggest problem is that everyone's different; no couple has the same tolerances, so it very much differs from person to person. One partner might require lots in common to bond with you, while others might require very little in common. It's really quite a tricky thing to figure out unless you've known the person for a while and can attest to their preferences through experience. It's really a learning experience.

But once you and your partner find yourselves comfortable with the other, it's really easy to establish a relationship. The trick is just knowing when you've both reached that point isn't it?

Back