• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do u use shorthand typing?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • In chats or texts or whatever, do you use shorthand writing instead of full words? If you don't, why not; do you find it hard to read, irritating to type, or just have too much respect for proper grammar?

And while we're on the topic, what about capital letters and apostrophes in chats?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    yes erry day, why even use the full word? It's not like I have to prove that I'm capable of writing properly, it's far more convenient to use shorthand

I am in the habit of capitalizing I and using apostrophes at all times though, it just comes naturally

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    y i h8 it so much when ppl use shorthand typing Almost As Much As I Hate It When People Type Like This. I messed up so many times trying to type that... The only time I generally use shorthand typing is when I'm joking, and it's almost always with people who do the same thing (type like that when they're joking).

Years
  • y i h8 it so much when ppl use shorthand typing Almost As Much As I Hate It When People Type Like This. I messed up so many times trying to type that... The only time I generally use shorthand typing is when I'm joking, and it's almost always with people who do the same thing (type like that when they're joking).

Lol, what Patchi said! Even in texting I'm using proper grammar.

.,:;'`Ghost`';:,.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • When I text my friends I sometimes type "u" instead of you and "r" instead of are. But that's like it. I sometimes use capital letters and I still do apostrophes (caps and apostrophes are actually auto-text but yeah).

Years
  • I tent to use abriviations such as cos and stuff when i'm texting and sometimes when i'm on MSN or another instant messenger but sometimes, like when i'm texting and typing on the computer at the same time i'll slip in the odd cos by mistake. I'll usually correct it if i spot it though.

As for my opinions on shorthand i don't really mind it in post, i don't like it but its their post. But when it really bugs me when people put things like plz in thread titles.

Years
  • I always try to have good grammar, no matter where I'm talking. In texts and IMs I might use a lot of abbreviations because I'm lazy, and I might miss capital letters sometimes, and sometimes I might use "lol" or smilies as punctuation and drive my sister mad, but I spell out everything. I just feel like a bit of a loser when I use shorthand like u/ur/ect.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I try to have fairly good grammar and spelling, although when typing quickly as I do in chats I tend to be a horrible speller. I also sometimes have grammar issues when trying to get my thoughts across quickly. Basically I try to make everything perfect when I have time to and tend to care less when I don't. /shrug

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
    Years
  • I always type in full. I type quickly and I text quickly. I don't need to shorten it down. I also find it difficult to read, and if I type properly all the time it comes more naturally when I'm actually doing something important.

Years
  • I like to have what I write be legible. To me, that means capitalization at the beginning of sentences and at least a noble attempt at proper punctuation throughout everything. It's those kinds of things which help the eye space things out well. Too many short letters between spaces and a lack of punctuation and it's more work to slow down and try to understand what's being said.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    y i h8 it so much when ppl use shorthand typing Almost As Much As I Hate It When People Type Like This. I messed up so many times trying to type that... The only time I generally use shorthand typing is when I'm joking, and it's almost always with people who do the same thing (type like that when they're joking).

This pretty much sums it up for me; Since I don't like chat speak very much since I think it's generally illegible, I only use it when I'm joking or things like "idr", "idc", idk" or "lol". I sometimes don't capitalize in chats, but that's it; I use apostrophes.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I don't usually use it. If I'm on a chatbox, I might leave out a period, but other than that I keep my spelling and grammar accurate.
    i mean wut's even the point dis just maks u look less intelligent
    And This Is Even Worse

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • When I was new to the internet, at age 14 or so, I used to type using every shorthand trick in the book. After a while, I felt like it was starting to mess with my IQ a little bit lol, so I decided I'd make the effort to type properly. Now that I do, I find that it's actually less effort to type properly than it is to use the shorthand. Once typing becomes second-nature to you, there's really no need to use tricks to speed up or be lazy anyway. And yes, it now does bother me when people use the shorthand - I find it messes with my head lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Nope. I feel like it's too much effort for me to use shorthand typing. Typing out in full sentences is just more natural for me, although I will use some abbreviations like "wtf" or "idk" or I won't capitalize the first letter of a sentence (although I will always capitalize the first-person pronoun "I") from time to time.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's only when I'm trying to be ironic that I use shorthand typing, for it annoys the **** out of me and I can't stand it. It takes more effort for me to do shorthand writing anymore, lol. I don't mind abbreviations, but the sentence has to be readable and make sense.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I can't stand it. When I first joined PC I used to literally type every word like it. ;-; I don't even do it on Facebook/Texts, I may do it on twitter if I need to shave a few characters off a word, however.

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    When I chat with my friends I sometimes type "u" instead of you and "r" instead of are.
    I sometimes don't capitalize in chats, but that's it; I use apostrophes.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I try and use correct grammar and spelling and stuff. Texting, chats and stuff are no exceptions. Honestly, it just makes it look messy and it doesn't actually save THAT much time, what, you save a few characters per message?

Then again, I can appreciate people who do it, I'm just a bit OCD in that sense... Although, ones like 'u' bug me quite a lot because it literally is two characters... That is like half a second of time if you're on the computer.

Eh...

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Majority of the time I use the correct spelling and grammar. It might just be the fact that I fanfic write now so it's kinda been in bedded into me.
    Though usually it when I'm on skype where I use short hand.

Mostly for when it's group chat since I need to type fast before the other people in the group chat do. Texting, sometime but rarely since I have the full keypad on my phone.

Back