• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do video series count as legitimate hacks?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • I wouldn't call it a 'game', seeing as they aren't playable, or even downloadable for that matter. They're for entertainment. But looking at your videos, I can definitely call them 'full-fledge' hacks. They not be as time-consuming, rewarding, or difficult to make, but they have characters, they have a storyline, a setting, etc. It's based on opinion, seemingly.

I wouldn't say full-fledged. They don't usually have inserted music or events, as that stuff is usually done via movie maker, and don't usually use hex or most of the hacking programs used to make playable hacks.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've watched and enjoyed your video series but as far as hacking is concerned, it is a hack. The only difference between your video series and hacks in here is that yours is purely for entertainment while the hacks here are for the enjoyment of the players.

chillj

Not active anymore.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2022
    Cool hack videos, they're awesome. I think the videos would count as a legitimate hack. You still have to script and map and text and all that other good stuff. I'd say it would sort of count... It'd be cool if you released a playable hack on this site. Good luck with hack videos and whatnot

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    Ah, sorry for the buildup of unacknowledged posts! I don't check in here very often. So now lemme get back to you all...

I'm glad the general consensus is that they're legitimate hacks, even if they're not an entire hacked game. However, some of you mentioned that while my videos are for entertaining an audience, your hacks are for players to have fun playing. Basically, we all have the same goal, to provide the Pokemon community with something to enjoy in one form or another. Perhaps my videos may not be as interactive and submersible as an entire hacked game may be, but they also allow for a more tailored experience. My commenters can tell me moments after watching the video what they enjoyed and what they didn't. For a full fledged hack, you can't change the game as they're playing it, and it may take a while before feedback arrives from people you have testing your game.

All in all, yes, I admit my videos take much less effort than creating a game. I've attempted to do this myself for fun many times, never planning to release it or announce it to anyone. It always proved too difficult for me, so I've always admired those who have the persistence to completely change every aspect of the game. That's not to say though that I don't put in the most effort I can creating every video. Usually most of my challenge comes through editing the video, not creating the footage. Every time I re-watch one of my videos and I notice an error it annoys me to no end. I try to make each episode perfect.

So each form has its pros and cons. I wasn't planning on posting any of my hacks here, for those who were telling me that I shouldn't. I was simply curious as to what you all thought about hack video series in general. :)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Of course it's a hack, the person is hacking the game to make it tell a story. A playable hack on the other hand... that kind of hack isn't a hack I'd see distributed as a patch or a game. But it's still hacked.

Red4190

Kanto Champion
    Years
  • It is still difficult bc to be honest I am having difficulty trying to hack my series so i can post it on Youtube. But as everyone else pretty much said both kinds go for the same goal.....entertainment

Back