• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do we live in "Pokéland"?

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    Have you noticed that in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and the Sevii Islands everything is about Pokémon? Just because they exist it doesn't mean they have to be what everyone likes.

The Pokémarts sell things for Pokémon battles, the currency is "PokéDollars". Why "Poké"? Devon and Silph, big companies, research things about Pokémon (Porygon, Up-Grade, TMs, Silph Scope, PokéNav)

Also, everyone has many kinds of Pokémon with them, but in real life, there are many people that don't like pets. And the most common are dogs and cats. People here would even have Wingulls.

The "evil" guys are just stupid men that feel they've lost if the lose to a Pokémon battle. Can't they use guns? Or just use their strength, which should be more than a kid's?

Everyone you meet says something about themselves and then challenge you to a Pokémon battle. If you were a guy that totally hates Pokémon and guy said "I've just caught a whole bunch of Pokémon!" and then challenge you, what would you do?

Where do people buy stuff that has nothing to do with Pokémon? What do people do apart from becoming trainers or participants in contests? How can everyone leave a route between cities (supposedly safe for people to walk) full of grass with Tropius or Poochyena?

I don't know what you think. But you must agree that everything shouldn't be about Pokémon. What happens to people's normal lives?

Years
    You, my friend, look like someone who has definately never read Pokémon Fanfiction before. =P

I'll answer all your questions with the same answer--that's the way the game works. It's a Pokémon game, thus it's supposed to be about Pokémon. In reality, Pokémon Training would be less common, Rockets probably would use guns (althoguh you have to admit that Pokemon are pretty formidable weapons, and if they're all fainted, how is their own strenght gonna make a difference?), non-Pokémon stores would abond, and PokéMarts would be about as common as pet stores and sporting goods stores. Devon and Silph would be for Pokémon technology, and other companies for standard things.

You still have to admit that in those regions, Pokemon Training is an extremely common and popular sport. It would be very widespread.

~Chibi~

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Yeah, Pokemon would be about the same equivelent of animals. But the reason you don't see Team Rocket using guns is because the last time Pokemon put guns in an episode, it got banned. And the games, well, the games are supposed to be the life of a Trainer. So it revolves all around Pokemon. Supposedly, these towns are a lot larger than we see in the games. I guess we only see the "Pokemon District" of that town.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    That's very true but in other RPG games you always fulfill a specific purpose too, but the people and towns are oblivious to your whole adventure, you can still find what you, the hero are looking for but you actually have to look for it. Pokemon, on the other hand seems like it was made just for your path, everything is within convenience for you and EVERYBODY in the game has at least something to say about pokemon.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah, Pokemon would be about the same equivelent of animals. But the reason you don't see Team Rocket using guns is because the last time Pokemon put guns in an episode, it got banned. And the games, well, the games are supposed to be the life of a Trainer. So it revolves all around Pokemon. Supposedly, these towns are a lot larger than we see in the games. I guess we only see the "Pokemon District" of that town.

I see it that way too that pokémon are 'our' equivelent of animals, we care for them and look after them, the animal loves u and u love it back, we can train animals like dogs on how to behave, but we can't train them for battle, or can we? lol XD its cool u can train pokémon to fight ur battles for you and they can understand every word u say, for e.g.: like the relationship of Sir Aaron and Lucario(8th movie), that what i mean about friendship between a pokemon and a human, trusting each other, just like our animals in this world ^^

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    You do have a point, everything doesn't have to be about Pokemon. but for the Pokecenters and the Pokemarts I don't see anything wrong with that because when you are playing the game you live in a Pokemon world

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Shadez

-
    Years
    here are some answers

Also, everyone has many kinds of Pokémon with them, but in real life, there are many people that don't like pets. And the most common are dogs and cats. People here would even have Wingulls.

no answer here

The "evil" guys are just stupid men that feel they've lost if the lose to a Pokémon battle. Can't they use guns? Or just use their strength, which should be more than a kid's?

no answer here

Everyone you meet says something about themselves and then challenge you to a Pokémon battle. If you were a guy that totally hates Pokémon and guy said "I've just caught a whole bunch of Pokémon!" and then challenge you, what would you do?

not everyone challenges you and here the all grow up with pokemon so almost nobody hates them

Where do people buy stuff that has nothing to do with Pokémon?

on the market as seen in anime

What do people do apart from becoming trainers or participants in contests?

just sit in there houses waiting for trainer to come in
    How can everyone leave a route between cities (supposedly safe for people to walk) full of grass with Tropius or Poochyena?

you just can't, this explains the almost everybody has a pokemon thing

Absolitude

Disaster in Absol clothing
    Years
    Well, if the game wasn't all about Pokemon would you like it? Would you play Pokemon Diamond if it only had Pokemon as a tiny little bit of it? Like Mega man with Pokemon on the side? I think not. If it wasn't all about the Pokemon then we wouldn't play, and if you want something else then just go play something else. If you want dragon ball Z then go play it, if you want Mega man go play it. But if you want Pokemon, and everything in the Pokemon world related to Pokemon, then play Pokemon.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    What do people do apart from becoming trainers or participants in contests?

just sit in there houses waiting for trainer to come in

That's the thing. Can't they live instead of just giving advice to any trainer that enters their house?

Well, if the game wasn't all about Pokemon would you like it? Would you play Pokemon Diamond if it only had Pokemon as a tiny little bit of it? Like Mega man with Pokemon on the side? I think not. If it wasn't all about the Pokemon then we wouldn't play, and if you want something else then just go play something else. If you want dragon ball Z then go play it, if you want Mega man go play it. But if you want Pokemon, and everything in the Pokemon world related to Pokemon, then play Pokemon.

The game can be about being a Pokémon Trainer, visiting cities with Pokémon-related companies, Pokémon Centers, Contest Halls, or whatever. It's just that it would be better if at least one in each town didn't talk to you about Pokémon. Even if it's an useless phrase, it makes it more realistic. It's impossible that people are waiting for someone to say "A POTION helps Pokémon recover HP. You can buy them at any PokéMart." as if nobody had noticed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have one point nobody has answered, why "Pokédollars"? Do we call our money "Animaldollars"? In the Jap games, they use yen, so it makes sense. But Pokédollars don't make sense at all. Even in a game, you don't find "Mario Coins" or nothing else like that, right?

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    Well, I don't think this is debatable because Pokemon don't excist, If they did, it would be a whole different story.....yeah.....thats all I have to say.....=P

Back