• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do we really need Sexual Education?

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
  • Yes, we need Sex Ed.

Just ask Dr. Ruth.

Some parents would be too awkward to talk to their kids about it, and no one is telling them all the ways you could get STDs outside of their parent's knowledge. And some parents are misinformed about STD contracting, too.

For goodness sake people, black and gay people don't have STDs up the ying-yang.

So yes, it's beneficial for everyone. Education sheds light and answers questions.

Not to say that there won't be some teenagers who will disregard all they're taught and go out and have babies at fifteen and aids by twenty. Those meddling kids!

Years
  • Jumping on the YES bandwagon.
    I believe sex & things physically related to it (consequences of unprotected sex, etc.) is science and health-related, meaning the general population should be required to know the basics from an approved curriculum.
    This is a very important point. It's not just your own health, but the health of other people. If you're not aware of what STIs are you might not even know you have one and could infect someone else, even in a non-sexual manner depending on what it is and how not-careful you're being.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I actually disagree with this. I was never given the talk by my parents and I know everything I need to know. I think schools have it covered, and it's better learning about it in that environment than from a parent. I think the whole parental 'birds and bees' talk is just awkward and unnecessary.

I just don't think it's wise for parents to rely on the schools to raise their kids for them. They can educate them about reproduction and STD prevention, but a parents should be there for advice when they get their first boyfriend/girlfriend and become sexually active.

Years
  • Personally, I think sexual education is needed to inform young teenagers about the facts of a sexual encounter; the other stuff can be found out by the individuals.
    The world is so sex orientated that it is so easy to find it out.​

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I just don't think it's wise for parents to rely on the schools to raise their kids for them. They can educate them about reproduction and STD prevention, but a parents should be there for advice when they get their first boyfriend/girlfriend and become sexually active.
    Ideally parents should educate their children properly. The only problem is a lot of them won't. I know my parents would never discuss sex with me, regardless of whether the school teaches sex ed or not.
    The world is so sex orientated that it is so easy to find it out.
    Thank goodness for the internet!

Years
  • Personally, I think sexual education is needed to inform young teenagers about the facts of a sexual encounter; the other stuff can be found out by the individuals.
    The world is so sex orientated that it is so easy to find it out.​

I agree. Not every parent will teach their children what they need to know, so sex education is needed somewhere down the line, because the notion of sex depicted in the media isn't always how things work, haha.

Years
  • Personally, I think sexual education is necessary. However, the way they're going about it these days are stupid. For example, in my high school, we had abstinence classes which just said, "don't have sex until you get married"; they were basically promoting hetero-normality. It was absurdly awkward for me.

Sexual education should be concise and accurate and taught at a young age. The problem is that people act like it's this huge thing and incredibly ~*taboo*~ while in reality it's perfectly natural.

Condoms should be made readily available, and visuals [videos/photographs/testimonies/etc.] should be used not as something that to scare people away from having sex, but more to educate them on the consequences of unsafe sex / etc. A curriculum should not only incorporate heterosexuality, but also homosexuality and whatnot to appeal to the most people.

KieronGames

May be more active
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    Yes. Do I need to explain?

Also kieron, I know how shiny the new thread button is, (I've been their, on my first forum.) but that dosn't mean you need to push it all the time to make threads that aren't really necessary.

Neither does it mean you can be arrogant.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Yes, we need to have sexual education. I knew so many kids who asked me questions like "can you get pregnant sitting on a toilet seat?" and "you can't get STD's from oral sex right? and the worst "hey if I am on birth control, then he doesn't need a condom, right?"
    Kids generally know what sex is, and somewhat what STD's are, but without a formal course, many of these discrepancies are not addressed, and therefore lead to more pregnant teens and more teens with STD's. It's funny that our class only dealt with heterosexual sex education though. Gallup polls showed that about 20% of americans are gay or lesbian. So that means without samesex education, 1 in 5 students are not getting any sexual education.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • But you are fogetting that some aspects of hetrosexual sexual education are the same as those that would be in a decicated same sex sexual education course. (If there was one)

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Some, but not the important things. My class, for example, did not cover anal sex because it is a "taboo". Gay teens are advised to seek more information about sexual health, that is not equitable.

Years
  • I do think that's it's necessary, for kids to learn the dangers of not being careful about these kinds of things. Around middle school age, kids tend to think that having sex is "keweel" and yeah you know, so around that age that's when the education should come in.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I do think that's it's necessary, for kids to learn the dangers of not being careful about these kinds of things. Around middle school age, kids tend to think that having sex is "keweel" and yeah you know, so around that age that's when the education should come in.

I agree that middle school student need to start learning about the dangers of unprotected sex! So many kids in the local middle school where I live have become pregnant, and that doesn't even include the number of children with STD's. Your right about the immaturity of middle schoolers. There immaturity matched with the instinctive desire to have sex, which starts with puberty, can be a very hazardous situation.

Years
  • Middle school is probably a good place to introduce the topic of sexuality, but some aspects of biology should be brought up in grade school. Just the "this is your body changing" kind of stuff so that no one freaks out (too much) when they get their first period and don't know what to do about it (because they have parents who can't help them or whatever the reason).

Back