• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you actually know how to play the TCG?

Collecting for...

• Show

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • Play

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Both

Votes: 58 45.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    I know how to play the card game from series 1-3 ? but not really sure about the Diamond and Pearl rules and all ... I kind of fell out of the game 2 years ago and only watched the anime and played the games. I might get back into the game if I can see if I can get some friends interested in it :P

Lightning Storm

That guy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2011
    I've judged at tournaments before, so I'd BETTER know the rules. But yeah, I collect to play and for show. A still keep a big binder of really awesome old cards that can't be used in tournaments anymore. They make pretty good trade fodder actually. I've also got a Japanese version of a card that comes out in english in a few weeks, which is REALLY good. I plan on using it as soon as it comes out. Arcanine RR for the win!

Shinobi Kai

Shinobi Kai
    Years
    i like to play, but hardly anyone around here plays thats my age so i hardly ever get a game :( and thers no leagues or anything either! :(

however ive kept all my 1st ed cards anyway i have like the 3 starter familys, the 3 legendary birds and a whole otherload of cool ones to (a promo mew :D)

Last edited:

Ayselipera

I collect them for looks, but when I was little
    my parents bought me a cd that taught you how
    to play with them. So yeah I know how to play :)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I know how to tho I haven't played in long time so I'd be rather rusty if I had a match.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    The concept of the game is very simple... There is not much tactical thinking required... unlike Magic... You don't have to pick on his main pokemon... Just pick off smaller ones and make one hit kills, 6 kills and off you go. Do not hesitate to use your pokemons as meat shields. (i do that all the time when my charizard ran out of energy, 120 hp is a very good tanker... buys you enough time to get another super-charged charizard into play) All you have to do is hit your opponent hard and fast, and make sure he don't have the time to react. Simple as that...

Last edited:
    Years
    The concept of the game is very simple... There is not much tactical thinking required... unlike Magic... You don't have to pick on his main pokemon... Just pick off smaller ones and make one hit kills, 6 kills and off you go. Do not hesitate to use your pokemons as meat shields. (i do that all the time when my charizard ran out of energy, 120 hp is a very good tanker... buys you enough time to get another super-charged charizard into play) All you have to do is hit your opponent hard and fast, and make sure he don't have the time to react. Simple as that...

I beg to differ on the lack of tactics required... because it is a very tactical game. Magic is simpler than people think. Pokemon is rooted in MTG, so there are a lot of similarities, and it is very easy to go between them.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    I beg to differ on the lack of tactics required... because it is a very tactical game. Magic is simpler than people think. Pokemon is rooted in MTG, so there are a lot of similarities, and it is very easy to go between them.

Well, UNLESS you are playing green or red, I am a black, white, Blue player... I enjoy playing psychological warfare. =\ I don't really fancy the coin flip mechanics... but alot of people like them. Imo it rely to much on luck and consumes a lot of game time... Not a stable source of damage. I personally prefer to rain down massive damage on the opponent in the shortest time so that flippers don't get to flip any coins at all. =D

Years
    Well, UNLESS you are playing green or red, I am a black, white, Blue player... I enjoy playing psychological warfare. =\ I don't really fancy the coin flip mechanics... but alot of people like them. Imo it rely to much on luck and consumes a lot of game time... Not a stable source of damage. I personally prefer to rain down massive damage on the opponent in the shortest time so that flippers don't get to flip any coins at all. =D

I'm more of the Play-Whatever-I-Feel-Like TCG player. I have 17 decks for MTG, compared with 10 for Pokemon, with both being a lot more than most people have. Coin flips actually make it more like the Pokemon games in my opinion. How else would making it feel like the game be achieved? ;)

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    Well... i'm more of a play-to-earn-money-or-win player. Speaking of magic, I didn't really like the rule changes they made recently... They removed the "on damage stack" mechanics which more than half of my decks rely on... *sob* I don't keep much decks... Decks not as effective as i expected to be would be sold out or scrapped in less than a week time. I'm currently still keeping 6 magic decks, 2 pokemon decks and 1 gundam war deck. Few years back, I sold my main yugioh deck for $600 as it made it to quarter finalist (40 cards + 10 side)... And i quit yugioh for good as they came out with a bann list and 30% of my cards were listed (dark hole, monster reborn, lightning... too many to mention... i play japanese cards)... My 2 remaining pokemon decks are Charizard rush and Dark Feraligator board control.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I just collect for show, I do know the basics of the TCG game though. It would probably take about 30 minutes to learn the rest of the rules and things of that nature. :3

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
    Years
    I'm merely a collector. I have bought a few decks, but thats only to add a certain card to my collection. I've learnt how to play TCG using the rule book, and I do enjoy making my own decks. I battle my sister sometimes, but I prefer to collect

!MajesticSmeargle!

Let's Seperate Our Worlds
    Years
    I'm a player, I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years and have won at least over 10 tourneys.
    But as for my playing reputation, I rather collect which is another reason I play you get free stuff which adds on to TCG and merchandise collections.
    So yeah.

Back