• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you actually laugh when you say 'lol' or 'rofl'?

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    When you include 'lol', 'lmao' or 'rofl' in your posts/messages/chat lines, do you actually mean it, or do you just say it just for the heck of putting something? >.<

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I don't usually laugh when I say 'lol' or 'lmao'. I never say 'rofl' because I think two variations on the same thing are more than enough :P. But when I say the first two, usually they're just a mood elevator for the statement I'm making. They keep things light and breezy.

I think that's how internet language has evolved over the years. It used to be a literal statement meaning "laughing out loud' or whatever, but as it grew more and more common it just became a way of saying "I'm not serious!"

Usually the way you know I'm actually laughing is when I say "LMAO" or "LMFAO" in capital letters :P

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    Honestly, not ever....unless it really did make me go lol or rofl, although I usually put lmao for those things.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I use lol more as a way to convey connotation, since that is hard to do through type usually.

I don't laugh all that much to begin with, even if I do find something funny. So, on occasion I may just chuckle or grin. Laugh, rarely.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I have to agree on Shining Raichu on this one. I never actually laugh when using "lol" , most of the time I just use it when I feel like it's necessary. Most of the time I use it just to respond to something sort of amusing or to convey I'm not being serious. I never use "rofl" or "lmao" or "lmafo" as much and it's only when something extremely funny and I'm laughing my head off.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    Lol = I found it funny, but didn't see the need to let the whole area know.
    Lmao = I chuckled.
    Lmfao = I actually lol'd.
    LOL and anything higher, in caps = Okay that was some funny stuff, would read again.

Ayselipera

The general rule is if it's not in caps I'm not really laughing. If it's an "LOL" in caps I'm either smirking or just a quick laugh IDK HOW TO EXPLAIN IT and if it's a "AHAHAHA" then I'm laughing. And I don't use anything else to show laughter.

Years
    I say lol/lmao/rofl a lot, but am not actually laughing 99% of the time. XD; There's not many things that are truly funny enough, guess I'm just a boring person >: "Lol" is mostly just a placeholder word when I don't know what else to say or there just isn't much to say other than that.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I never say 'lol' or 'rofl' (and feel kinda dirty even typing these out)... but when I do type out something to signify laughter online, I normally mean it. So, if you read a post by me and it's starts off with 'Heh', that normally indicates a slight chortle; 'Tehe' indicates a giggle; 'Hahahahahahahaha' indicates a belly-laugh... and these are all heightened if they're in capital letters. This goes for IMing and texting and anything where I'm not talking face-to-face. But, yeah. When I type a laughter-signifier, normally I'm laughing in real life. I wouldn't want to overuse it, as it would just become another instance of 'lol'. Ugh, I feel so unclean!

Years
    Damn, I actually use "lol" in real life lol. Usually when I use these things, it means that I have found the content humorous. Whether I physically laughed or not is a different matter though.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I laugh irl like 1% of the time I say lol online. lol <- See, I didn't laugh.

To me, lol just indicates that the atmosphere is lighthearted, and that I'm not being serious if I say something sarcastic, or something that might be misread as an insult or something along those lines.

Years
    Sadly lol is more filler for me than anything else these days. lol

Typically when I laugh out loud I'll do AHAHAHAHA or something else in all-caps. If I even say anything at all. A chuckle is not worth nothing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    No, not really. "LOL" means I chuckled, "lol" means i'm amused, "lm(f)ao" means "dear lord...", "hahaha" means I giggled, "XD" means I legit laughed. I usually inform people if I laugh really loudly though like "i literally just laughed out loud" but saying all that makes me feel like I should type lol because well that's what it means but nehhh.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
    Years
    I usually say lol when I find something slightly amusing, lmao when I find something funny and Rofl when something is hilarious.
    I usually say "I actually lol'd" if I literally laugh from something I see on the internets.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    A "lol" from me usually indicates that there's something that's at least made me smile. I suppose me ending my sentence with "haha" like I usually do essentially serves the same purpose. If something's made me actually laugh at loud, I type it out in all caps: "LOL" or "HAHAHA" or something of that sort.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I actually laugh when I have more than one ! in lol/rofl/lmao. I'll laugh even harder if I type it in caps and repeatedly do so. xD

Years
    I almost never laugh when I use lmao/lol/rofl. I mostly only use lol as something to just stick in the sentence. But, I never laugh at all, so I do use lmao/rofl to indicate that I think I found something humorous.

Callīope1

█ uranianUmbra
    Years
    Nope.

When I type "lol" or "xD"
    it's normally just because I smile.

If it I type "XDDD" or "ROFLMAO" or something bigger like that, then yeah I laughed.

Sometimes, if I laugh hard enough over something, I just state it like "Wow, I laughed too hard that", or something.

Back