• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you actually trust Pokebank?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Not really sure about this, but I've heard that if you're not actually subscribed, they delete your Pokémon over a period of time. If you are, though, then you've got nothing to worry about at all. :] As for hackers, I don't know if you should be concerned about that, as there's been no severe reports on things like this.

Years
  • I thought this at first then I also thought to myself. "What if Pokebank had everyones Pokemon erased." Then I thought again. This would mean Nintendo failed horribly and they would never hear the end of it like major platform bank account mishaps. So I'm fairly sure It's safe and tbh I don't put anything worth losing in it anyways

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Storing Pokemon in the Bank: The servers might be hacked by an evil-laughing mad scientist and make you lose all your Pokemon.
    on the other hand...
    Storing Pokemon in a game cartiridge: Those things are tiny, like really tiny. And if you somehow lose a physical copy of the game (because that's the one most people buy), you not only lose your Pokemon, but also a game that you paid good money for.

Fortunately both scenarios are very unlikely to happen.

Years
  • The only Pokemon I will not store in pokebank are event mons, since those are really hard to replace other than shinies or perfect iv Pokemon. Other than that Ill store just about anything on pokebank.

Years
  • I don't really trust it enough to keep my Pokemon stored there for more than a week or so. Normally I'd just transfer things over and nab them back right away since that helps ease my worry, aha.. xD;;; Just so much better to have all my 'mons stored in the PC box in the game cartridge itself. Luckily I don't collect more than the storage space we're given.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • I trust it... However, I would never store my competitive pokemon or shinies in there. I would be pretty disappointed if I lost the pokemon in there now, but I could deal with it.

And if anything ever happened to the pokemon in there, no one should be suing GF/Nintendo. When you purchase/download it, you are agreeing that there is no guarantee that your stored pokemon are safe. It says so in the FAQ.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I'm pretty paranoid of the possibility that, one day, that my 3DS might get stolen. I literally have a Note (the yellow pencil option) written into my 3DS to "Dear Person Who Stole my 3DS" begging them to keep the 3DS if they have to, but to give me back the Pokemon X catridge to my address. Because it's full of my friends and memories accumulated and transfered over since 4th generation. Yeah. Just a bit paranoid.

And this is why I at least trust Pokebank more than keeping it in my cartridge. If a calamity were to happen to erase everyone's pokemon, there's actually responsibility on Gamefreak's behalf to restore things back to normal or at least compensate us. And everyone would be in the same boat as me. I wouldn't be the only person who lost everything; everyone else would have no choice but to start anew and help each other out.

But if I were to just lose my cartridge or have it stolen? Tough luck, it'd be my own problem.

Edit: Read Jakeremix's post. Even if there was no responsibility on Gamefreak's behalf to restore things, they would still have the responsibility of regaining the trust of their loyal fans. At the end of the day, I trust that Gamefreak, who wouldn't want to damage their reputation,to keep my pokemon safe more than I trust myself to safeguard my 3DS from thieves, natural disasters/fires that would destroy my home, etc. that I have little control over.

Random Blurb: What if Pokebank had an option to give your pokemon a "Bank Ribbon"? Doing this would allow your pokemon to exist both in your game's cartridge and have a semi-transparent copy of them also in Bank. A Pokemon in your cartridge with a Bank Ribbon cannot gain experience, cannot have their moves changed, cannot be traded/released, etc. They're frozen exactly as-is, unless if you choose to merge them back with the copy, and thus removing the Bank Ribbon. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to keep their valuable battling pokemon in PokeBank. If a person was to lose their cartridge, the backup copy could be restored to a new cartridge, and blacklisting your old cartridge from ever being able to connect online or participate in tournaments. On the other hand, if Pokebank was to get hacked, we would still have our most valuable pokemon still in the cartridge. Win-win. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • When you purchase/download it, you are agreeing that there is no guarantee that your stored pokemon are safe. It says so in the FAQ.

Serioulsy??? Oh..I didnt read it so I accepted the terms >_> well I just hope nothing happens to the servers then, but Nintendo should be alittle more considerate to their users. And now that I've read some things I think I will be taking back my shinies from there, I dont want to lose them if something happens .

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Storing Pokemon in the Bank: The servers might be hacked by an evil-laughing mad scientist and make you lose all your Pokemon.
    on the other hand...
    Storing Pokemon in a game cartiridge: Those things are tiny, like really tiny. And if you somehow lose a physical copy of the game (because that's the one most people buy), you not only lose your Pokemon, but also a game that you paid good money for.

Fortunately both scenarios are very unlikely to happen.

In my case, losing a cartridge /never/ happens, and the chance to lose them in the Pokebank would be higher. Am someone whom will never lose a single thing, and have never in all 22 years of my life.

I am more inclined to believe myself more than others, I guess. AND, should I lose the cartridges even, it's by all means my own fault and not others, I rather beat myself up for losing my precious Pokemon than start blaming others for their glitches, you know.

And if you want to speak of fortunate...

I trust it... However, I would never store my competitive pokemon or shinies in there. I would be pretty disappointed if I lost the pokemon in there now, but I could deal with it.

And if anything ever happened to the pokemon in there, no one should be suing GF/Nintendo. When you purchase/download it, you are agreeing that there is no guarantee that your stored pokemon are safe. It says so in the FAQ.

A glitch can always happen, you see how Nintendo will not take responsibilities for any mistakes they made that make you lose your Pokemon in the Pokebank now, now?

Shrew - The only issue I have it I am using a "fake" country, mainly because Singapore have to depends on the Canada location to buy Pokebank. I don't think I'll see anything good coming out of contacting the service counter should anything goes wrong. All I can see is "Well, you're not in my country and you put it as it is, so I can't help you" from them.

Guess I'll still keep all my Pokemon in my cartridges instead. I feel much safer hahah :p

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    My feelings on Pokebank are mixed. I paid for it because I needed the extra space (and because I wanted to continue to transfer Pokémon from 5th gen), and I do use it frequently, but I've noticed that I avoid taking anything I really care about off of my cartridge. While I have multiple games (both versions, plus extra downloadable versions from the promotion last month that I haven't started yet), I don't really want to spend lots of time trading Pokémon from one game to another, nor do I want to have to release all of the trade fodder that I catch to do so. In that regard, I value Bank because it saves time.

One of the reasons I've started using Pokebank a lot is that I really hate releasing Pokémon. Thus, I just store lots of breeding rejects in Pokebank, trading some of them of when I have spare time. Ultimately, I'm just postponing the inevitable moment when I'll have to go through and manually release lots of them, and since Bank doesn't provide that much storage space, I won't be able to put that day off forever. But for the time being, the extra space in Bank allows me to continue my nightly ritual of breeding a couple of batches of Pokémon before I fall asleep without forcing me to deal with logistical hassles.

So, ultimately, no, I guess I don't really trust Bank. I've been pleased to see that, since its [re]release, it's been relatively stable, and I hope that the fact that it's a free service will encourage GameFreak/Nintendo to ensure that the servers run smoothly in the future (especially after the disastrous situation in December). If you need the space or the convenience/time, I would use Bank's storage, but only deposit Pokémon that you wouldn't be heartbroken to lose. About half of the Pokémon I have in Bank are ones I really ought to release/trade away at some point, but I keep thinking they might be valuable, so I leave them there; the other half might be irritating to replace, but wouldn't represent a major setback if lost.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    I use it to transfer pokemon from my black 2 and white 2 versions to X and store unwanted bred pokemon and that only since I don't want to lose my precious pokemon from server errors or forgetting to renew my pass.

Years
  • I actually dont really use mine for much, being I don't have a lot to put in thats worth keeping. I have a few there thats just for nostalga sake that I probably would never use again, like my ingame teams have their own "retirement box". Stuff I actually use regularly never get put in because.. well.. I need them on hand.

As far as safety is concerned, I wouldn't really be worried about it. It works like an MMO server. Your guys don't get wiped if you happen to miss a payment, you just can't access it. After my free trial was up, my guys where still there after I paid for the year. And really, coming up with 10 bucks for a year is INCREDIBLY cheap.

And really... A hacker isn't interested in your lvl 100 Shiny Giratina.. They want your credit card info. Thats a different ballpark altogether.

Years
  • I mostly just use it for transfers. Though honestly, I would feel a little safer if my Pokemon were there. I think it's more likely that my 3DS would get stolen than stuff would disappear from the Pokebank.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I mostly just use it for transfers. Though honestly, I would feel a little safer if my Pokemon were there. I think it's more likely that my 3DS would get stolen than stuff would disappear from the Pokebank.

I was pretty sure you can't get another console and use the same bank unless you contacted the service counter or something.

Trainer Galza - You'll be SO surprised at what some people would do to cause some mini misery in people (I don't quote Neopets).

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • I only do it to store my failed masuda method attempts, other that that, it says in the electronic manual that comes with the bank, if you run out of days on your pass, you can still withdraw your pokemon, just you can't deposit any more

Gible

Y L I E S S E
    Years
  • My 3DS has a downloaded Pokemon Y and I have the game for Pokemon X so I just use it to transfer Pokemon around. I use it to move Pokemon quickly so I trust it. Doubt anything would happen in the short amount of time I have Pokemon floating around in the Pokecloud.

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
    Years
  • I don't think you should worry too much. If your pass runs out before you take out your Pokemon, they still stay there, you just have to buy it again to deposit. So don't worry about not buying another pass early. ^^ You can do it whenever.
    (btw, I also love EXO and SNSD) <3

Back