• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you believe that music can truly save somebody's life?

Years
  • Okay, here's a bit of controversy to spark up some debate/discussion!

You get a lot of people saying that a band/a band's music saved their lives. Now, these seem to all be bands from similar genres (*cough*Post Hardcore Rock and then likes*cough*), and so all of the fans who claim that music saved their lives are similar.

I'm going to be honest, I think this is kind of... well... a load of nonsense.

Now, hear me out. I'm never going to say that music doesn't change moods. It does, which could be used as an argument against my beliefs (and I am fully aware of that). But, you see, the thing is that you get a lot of people on the internet talking about certain bands and everybody seems to just say "oh, this band saved my life!" The human race is competitive, I'll admit it, and so I sometimes think that there's a desire within some to prove that they're a better fan of something than other people. So, naturally, if a person sees somebody say that a band saved their life, that person may feel the need to say it also, at least to appear to be a fan of equal strength, or to share how strong their passion for the band is. Then it spreads, like some sort of contagious disease (see genital warts as a prime example of this).

Music can be a powerful thing. There's no denying it. It can change moods. But to not kill yourself, well, that's something else entirely. The decision to not kill yourself is your own to make, not a band and not their music. Yes, the music may hold a small amount of influence over you and your decision, but so will many other things, such as friends, and other loved ones. I don't think I have ever encountered a person, in real life or on the internet, that lives solely for music. It's something that people will pin the reason for their choice on, because it's easy to. I just think that it's a small contributing factor in such a larger picture.

I guess I just gave two reason as to why I oppose this belief, eh?

Agree? Disagree? Discuss! ^.^

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I feel that music can save lives. The reason is because it's like having them with you inside of your heart. The lyrics have spoken to me many times and helped me through a lot of hardships I've endured. Most of the time, people who are serious about music have gone through hell and back many times over too. They come from broken families, suffer from eating disorders, etc. I can't really explain it very well though, but I do know that music has been enough to save me from something I would have done years ago.

Think of it like this. You feel alone on the world. There's no one in the entire universe who is willing to help you through your parents fighting or having them abuse you and say you are useless garbage. Put yourself in that person's shoes and just think about the struggles they are going through right now. This is why most of us turn to music because it's like having a friend. The only friend in the world who can make us feel like we mean something and we aren't the only ones going through the stuff we do everyday.

Does that make sense? O_o

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think it takes an "objectively powerful force", like God or something, to save someone. I read a little while ago about someone who was on the brink of suicide, but there was one thing left in life they wanted to do, and that was see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. After that, other things started popping up and they ultimately decided against any self harm. The point being though, there's that turning point. I think you're right in saying there could be other influences that come into play, but when you're down in the dumps, I think finding salvation or passion in something "small" is completely normal. Music specifically is a powerful source. As RainbowShy mentioned, lyrics (as well as rhythm, instrumentals) can be very influential. It's like a book, a story. Having something you can relate to during dark times is extremely invigorating.

I think it all boils down to having that saving grace at the right moments. Simply put, with the absence of something like music, lives could very well have been lost. I think that alone is enough to show the ultimate influence it can have.

Years
  • As you mentioned, Flushed, RainbowShy did make a good point when concerning the lyrics of some songs. In fact, their post did slightly alter my opinion. Whilst I wouldn't that music has the impact that saves everybody who claims that it says (for the reasons I posted in my first post), I'd now say that the lyrics can be a comfort it in a seemingly lonely world at the best of times. I feel that is sort of adds weight to the whole contributing factor argument. But Hell, maybe there is something in the lyrics that says to people "don't kill yourself tonight."

Also, how can somebody want to see Desolation of Smaug but not want to survive to see There and Back Again (I refuse to call it The Battle of Five Armies)?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I think music has the power to do a lot of things. It's a great way to bring emotions and memories back to your mind. (Music and emotion) It's also a powerful tool for memory and the like.

I believe music can save someone's life in that the memories or emotions music can bring out could help them realize the positives in life. I also feel like sometimes when you're just in a bad mood, songs can help you relate and feel like you're not alone. :)

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • It's more like your brain will cling to anything that makes you happy or feel better. This combined with our survival instinct can cause a depressed person to rationalize that maybe killing themselves isn't the best idea. Our brains have an innate aversion to self-harm and typically only respond that way when we feel trapped in a situation that we believe won't get better. Until the light shines through the clouds and illuminates an otherwise gloomy world that is. It's one of many coping mechanisms people used to get by. As Flushed mentioned, some people use movies, some use religion, some rely on attention and friendship, others cling to knowledge.

If you're interested in learning more about how our brains try and protect us from mental harm you should read about ego defense mechanisms.
    It's a simple concept but it was one of my favorite topics when I took psychology.

Just to clarify, I do believe it's one of many things that could help someone out when they're feeling down.
    Basically everyone in this thread is right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
    Years
  • Can music act as a powerful force? Yes.
    Can it single-handedly save lives? Eh...

I won't attempt to perform an experiment, as that would require plunging myself into depression then hoping music will help. What I'm saying is, maybe music can save lives, but I don't think I'll ever know for sure.

I do believe music can be a factor in saving someone's life, when paired with other things such as treatment for depression (with the latter playing a larger role). I also believe music can change lives, as after listening to It's My Life by The Animals, I began living my life with no regrets (that's all I took from the song. I am not taking money from orphanages!), and I also believe music can change people's moods drastically, but I do not believe it can single-handedly save a life.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I think it can, and I think many other things can, as well. People can be moved by or changed by even the smaller things, let alone the more profound ones. I don't think it's a stretch to believe artists could impact people in that way. That doesn't necessarily mean their works are good, though; like I said, even the smaller things can change how people think.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think it can, and I think many other things can, as well. People can be moved by or changed by even the smaller things, let alone the more profound ones. I don't think it's a stretch to believe artists could impact people in that way. That doesn't necessarily mean their works are good, though; like I said, even the smaller things can change how people think.

This is how I feel. Sometimes a person smiling at someone else causes them to not commit suicide. I mean, in the Elliott Rodger manifesto multiple times he wrote something "I vowed not to do what I was planning on doing if I went out this Friday and one person approached me." Some people are saved not by being directly helped, but by seeing others helping as they see good in the world. Allie Brosh snapped out of her depression because she saw a piece of corn under her fridge.

So if all those small things can influence people, why nit music? I'm not sure I'd go so far to agree with RainbowShy that people who are serious about music usually have hard lives...certainly not true in my experience.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    In the sense of inspiring positive feelings in people, then yes music (along with all other forms of art) can indirectly help/save lives (as people have already been saying).

But the same can be said for the opposite... there is plenty of music fueled by negative emotions, so can we also say that music takes lives as well? I'd be hesitant to start saying that music is the cause of suicide, cutting etc. so for that reason I wouldn't say it saves lives.

Regardless of how we are influenced, ultimately we have to take responsibility for our own life choices.

Years
  • If you're interested in learning more about how our brains try and protect us from mental harm you should read about ego defense mechanisms.
    It's a simple concept but it was one of my favorite topics when I took psychology.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's an ego defence mechanism if I'm honest. Influential; yes. Defence mechanism; not so much.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's an ego defence mechanism if I'm honest. Influential; yes. Defence mechanism; not so much.
    I didn't say or imply it was a defense mechanism. I stated it was a coping mechanism then suggested you read about defense mechanisms if you're interested in this area in general. :p

Years
  • I didn't say or imply it was a defense mechanism. I stated it was a coping mechanism then suggested you read about defense mechanisms if you're interested in this area in general. :p
    Oh right, sorry, my bad :')
    I was tired and you posted it in the thread and I just linked the thread and the whole defence mechanism theory together! 8D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Music could help make decisions, I feel, depending on how you take them. If you life's in-danger and is reliant on some decision and you're not sure on which option to go with, certain songs would indeed be able to lend a hand towards showing you the correct path. I've been in similar situations before, and I could tell how of an effect music could possibly have on you.

Back