• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you capture?

How many pokémon do you capture?

• Just what I need to use...

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Everything in sight!

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • It varies

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Basically, I was wondering...do you capture all the new pokémon you meet, whether or not you want them or not, possibly for the sake of pokédex completion, or do you just capture the pokémon you want to use?

I know I used to only capture pokémon I wanted, but now, probably because of playing LeafGreen, where you have to capture all the pokémon available to you in order to get important items such as Everstone and Exp. Share, I capture any new pokémon I see (and multiples of the ones I like, so I have a spare).

So, yeah. Do you capture hundreds, like Crystal in PokéSpe, or just six like Ash?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Well recently, on my first run on Pokemon Black I would catch all the cool mons I saw, including Lillipup, Patrat, and Roggenrola because I thought they were rare. Nowadays I really only catch the Pokemon I'm going to use, and those which are similarly awesome or rare. So if I found a Pansear in the Lostlorn Forest, I would catch it just for the sake of having a Pansear.

tl;dr It varies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It depends. Usually the first time I play through a game (or on a save file I intend to keep) I'll capture just about everything for the sake of the Pokedex. If I'm not playing for (save file) keeps I'll just capture what I need.

Years
  • When I start a new game I will catch every new pokemon I see, sometimes ensuring that I have a particular sex, nature or ability. But... Then I get too involved in battling etc and have a decent team together that I dont bother catching the new pokemon.

Although, when I started playing white for the second time I caught the pokemon I wanted to use in battles and left the rest so I could get to white forest as quickly as possible.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I only catch what I want to use in-game, and some pokemon that I can breed my wifi battling team from once I beat the game. XD

Pokedex completion be damned. XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I capture every new pokemon i meet, just for the sake of having them. Then upon completion of the game, I have all these stored mons to breed/level/etc.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2013
    I usually capture the Pokemon I need or just like rather than catching all the ones I do meet.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • At first I capture every Pokemon I see, but then later on, whilst playing the game. I then start to capture only the Pokemon I want to use.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I mostly capture Pokemon I need. If I find a cool looking Pokemon, then I'll probably catch it too. I kind of went around catching every new Pokemon I met in B/W, because I was kind of impatient and they all looked so awesome. But normally, I just capture Pokemon I need on my team. Or if it's something rare, I'll catch it too. And sometimes I feel like catching every new Pokemon I see. Which is exactly what I did after I beat the E4 in Black. ;)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Not really always, I really only catch Pokémon that I seem to take a certain shine to. Although I do sometimes feel the need to catch almost every new Pokémon I meet in new generations, but when it comes to remakes and third games, I just know a lot about them already.

Snegurochka

fire walk with me.
    Years
  • i catch everything. i won't leave a new route until i've caught every pokemon available, not including time-specific ones of course.

Years
  • I must say it varies for me.. only because I have ambition to go on and use a lot of repels and when i do want to capture, its after i go down my Pokédex list

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    It depends, if the Pokemon is going to be useful, then I'll catch it. Usually if I already have it, I'll either run away or kill it. But, most of the time I use repels so I don't come across them.

o3o

Years
  • It varies. Usually I'd try and catch every Pokémon I see, but on Black I only caught Pokémon I wanted for my team. However, after the main story was finished, I tried to catch every single Pokémon to complete the Dex.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I always play one of two ways: either I catch my party Pokemon and leave the rest for the aftergame, or I go and catch every new pokemon on each route before I continue.

XXIII

isn't really here.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2013
    I try my best to. I seem to have awful luck with accidentally KO-ing Pokes though.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • I capture hundreds, if not thousands of pokemon. A huge chunk of them just get thrown away, due to unwanted IVs and nature. So yeah, I do capture new pokemon the first chance I get, only for pokedex completion.

Back