• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care about your Pokemon's abilities or natures?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    For regular in-game single player story I am not very picky.
    Every Pokemon deserves a chance.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Not too much though. I choose the better ability for my favorite Pokemon, but the others, nah.

It's a different story competitively no. Everything must be in sync competitively.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Nope, I don't care about abilities or natures which is one of the reasons why I suck at battling lol. :'D I didn't even know what natures and abilities were for until I joined pc oAo;

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
    Years
  • Well in game nothing bothers me.
    I like to just use the pokemon I decided to catch and the natures and abilities didn't matter.
    Only when I'm forming competitive teams do I look out for the natures, abilities and IV's.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2012
    I agree with Mr. Cat Dog. I don't bother, because I can never remember which abilities do what, and which stats are improved by which natures, and it all just muddles me up. I'm one of those people who just train more if it doesn't work. And I always level up my pokemon in a methodical, balanced way, like they tell you to, because I'm a wimp.

Years
  • In game guys, I don't really care too much about.. if I was raising a speific team, then I would go with a nature/ability that would make their role a bit easier for them to handle.

A pretty good example though, I've been trying to find a Golett that doesn't suck in my game.. but the ones I always catch have Klutz, an ability that doesn't boost attack at all (or lowers it) .. I'd be happy with the Punching ability, because thats what he does.. and a nice attack stat would be nice too.. but not in the case where I can't get either.. wasting good pokeballs on crap just annoys the hell out of me.

Years
  • Abilities yes. Natures no.

Neutral natures are my favorite as they are easy to know right off the hop what goes up, what goes down.

Only with Ditto do I care for natures.

Years
  • In game guys, I don't really care too much about.. if I was raising a speific team, then I would go with a nature/ability that would make their role a bit easier for them to handle.

A pretty good example though, I've been trying to find a Golett that doesn't suck in my game.. but the ones I always catch have Klutz, an ability that doesn't boost attack at all (or lowers it) .. I'd be happy with the Punching ability, because thats what he does.. and a nice attack stat would be nice too.. but not in the case where I can't get either.. wasting good pokeballs on crap just annoys the hell out of me.

Ah yes, I experience that dreaded curse as well. I check its ability by using my Audino's Entrainment.

And my worst-case scenario - I caught a Golett only to discover it was Klutz, I went back to Dragonspiral Tower, caught another one, this time with Iron Fist but wait for it, I got the worst possible nature and that nature is...
    Spoiler:

And I just caught my third Golett, Impish nature with Iron Fist. Not exactly the nature I was looking for, but Impish comes close enough.

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I'll only really try to find a pokemon with a different ability if it's completely unhelpful. Otherwise I don't mind too much. And I'm not actually even aware of which natures lower or raise which stat, I just look at them for imagining my pokemon's personality. In a roleplay-ish kind of way.

Years
  • I'll only really try to find a pokemon with a different ability if it's completely unhelpful. Otherwise I don't mind too much. And I'm not actually even aware of which natures lower or raise which stat, I just look at them for imagining my pokemon's personality. In a roleplay-ish kind of way.

Natures actually play an important part if you're someone like Marriland. He is always fussy about his Pokemon's natures.

There is a chart with what each nature does so you can see if that Pokemon receives any differences stat-wise.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I don't do competitve battling, so I could careless about the nature of Pokemon. Also I really don't care for abilities either, unless if it is for certain Pokemon such as Magcargo, mines must have flame body because I want to hatch Pokemon eggs a whole lot quicker.

:t354:TG

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • When I'm making a competitive team, I am EXTREMELY careful to get a good nature for my Pokemon. However, in-game, I don't care too much unless the nature is downright awful for the Pokemon that has it (E.G. Calm Krookodile). I usually pay attention to abilities in-game.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I used to care about natures a ton, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get a good nature anymore. That competitiveness ruins so many games for me.

Abilities are a different story, if only because it affects in-game to a larger degree.

Years
  • Actually for a player like me who didn't have experience in Wifi Battle or even trade
    i still care for their Abilities And Nature
    Besides I love raising Psuedo Legendary Pokemon
    with better Nature that fit their moveset

and Abilities that give you an advantage in some specific Battle ( like Battle Frontier )

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Competitively, yes. OTherwise, I usually just catch wild pokemon until one with the ability I want shows up (i.e. the electric spider thing with compoundeyes).

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Not at all. Even if I'm a little irritated when my Pokémon have nature that seems "negatives", I mean for example "Lax" or "Sassy".

Years
  • I don't give a rat's behind about natures and abilities. I'm confident enough to know that raising a Pokemon is what eventually makes it powerful. Bonuses are nice, but I'm somewhat old-fashioned. Just train them and win.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Before, I never cared about abilites or natures as I never really knew much about them, and just battled and trained with what I got. But as I got older and began to understand the 'tricks of the trade' I sorta began to care. When I start a new game however, I don't care, but once I beat it, that's when I began to hunt down Pokemon with certain abilites/natures. In my second run through of White, I didn't even try to get Pokemon with beneficial natures, just caught what showed up first, but about 4 out of 6 of my whole team ended up with beneficial natures. I was pretty happy!

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    It depends.
    I generally don't mind natures, just as long as they're not neutral natures.
    As for abilities, I prefer abilities which are more useful than others (Rock Head Aron over Sturdy Aron, for example).

Back