• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care about your Pokemon's genders?

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
    Years
    To me it doesn't really matter unless I'm breeding them later in the game. Sometimes I get bored and think if the pokemon more resembles a Female or a Male and look for that gender.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't really care about the gender of a Pokemon. The only time I even think about it is when I'm breeding Pokemon or I'm giving it a name.

Influential_Mew

EeVee Trainer
    Years
    I always aim for males unless a specific pokemon looks like a female. Example: I'd rather have a male Mr.Mime than a female one and a female Rosalia than a male. There are other factors besides the one mentioned. For instance, a female combee would render useful, while a male combee useless. You get the point. Gender differences is another plus. A male Unfezant is more pleasant to the eye than a female one, at least in my opinion it is. Don't forget Wobbuffet. A female one is totally unattractive.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Sometimes, I do since I enjoy breeding them. But in the start of my journey, I don't as long as it's the Pokemon that I want. ^^

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    Depends. Since I use my pokémon and like to re-use them in different games. ie: I first got to use/know a Gyarados in one of my FireRed runs and called him Gankem, like it was the case for me. If he's male, he'll always be male, and if I see first a female magikarp in another run, I won't catch it, and I'll keep looking for a male one. The same for my female Tyranitar, Lanitia.
    Actually, I'm also picky on a lot more stuff and it's the reason I won't catch any Poochyenas or Mightyenas in RSE, because the first one I used/befriended/whatever, was shiny (my shiny Razum, male too) and if by accident I find a shiny one that is female, I'll catch it but I won't use it on my team, unlike what I did with Razum x)

I normally have "trademark" pokémon in my teams, like a male Lapras or a female Skarmory, and those can't differ from their "set" gender,(the gender of the first one I caught) but it doesn't matter to me if it's the first time I'm using the poké, or when I used two of the same race but different gender (like my two pidgeys)

Procrastinatron

Annihilator of Youngster Joey
    Years
    Depends on my character's gender. They'll all either be male or female, unless the gender ratio is imbalanced. So on a female character, I'd have an all female team, with the exception of Pokemon such as Eeevee or Zorua.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
    I usually go for male pokemon because I just can't imagine some pokemon being female. If I can imagine them being female it's no problem. I don't know exactly why.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Sometimes, I just randomly catch those that I want that I didn't even notice it's gender. u__u;

Years
    I don't really look for a speific gender when I'm catching something.. there are a few exceptions.

Female Machop family, Makuhita Family, Hitmonchan/Lee.. (totally cool with Hitmontop, oddly) and to a lesser extent Wobbuffet .. just give me the creeps.

Theres also a few that I just can't have as male, Glaceon, Mismagius, Honchcrow, and to a lesser extent, Simipour.

The rest I can kinda roll with

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2012
    I only care if I'm going to breed them, because a female parent will have pokemon of the same species, and a male will pass on moves. Mostly I don't bother; I'm not a big breeder.

One exception: attract. I always go female with attract pokemon. It just seems right.

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    Male Gardevoirs give me the creeps...
    There are just some Pmon that need to be female, and not male, IMO. Can you imagine a boy having a flowery pattern all over himself? (I'm pointing at you Munna...) Or wearing a skirt?
    I need to catch them according to the gender they look like.

Years
    Wow there's a lot of misogyny in this thread.

I pay attention to the gender of my pokemon when I'm breeding, but besides that I never care either way.
    Interestingly, by no effort made by me, I usually tend to end up with a proportionally large amount of females. In all of the games I've started I have an even ratio of having either a female or male starter, even though females have a lower percentage in starters.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    If I'm going to name my Pokemon after a certain character or something or I'm using them for breeding purposes, then I care. I wouldn't want my Pokemon named Mithos (although often mistaken as a female) to be a female Pokemon.

However, if I'm just catching them for pokedex purposes for them to just be put in the box forever, then i couldn't care less of what gender they are.

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
    More of my Pokemon have been male, overall. But..

If it's a feminine Pokemon or masculine Pokemon, I like to get their respective gender.

Barring Pokemon like Lilligant and Tauros, which are gender-specific,
    I find the following Pokemon to be:

Feminine:
    Gardevoir, Lopunny, Milotic, Bellossom, Roserade, Mismagius, Banette, Ninetales, Espeon, Glaceon, Delcatty, Altaria, Gothitelle, Liepard, Purugly, Gorebyss, Wigglytuff, and Clefable.

Masculine: Arcanine, Bisharp, Honchkrow, Machamp, Conkeldurr, Lucario, Hydreigon, Scizor, Jolteon, Alakazam, and most of the starters/humanshape Pokemon.

Though I've definitely trained Pokemon against this; for example, a female Arcanine.

Last edited:
    Years
    I always have. Male pokemon that look feminine, like a male Gardevoir or Clefairy irk me, haha. Same as a female Machamp would. 9/10 I use male pokemon anyways, unless it's like a Clefairy, Eevee, Gardevoir, etc.

Back