• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care when celebrities die?

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    In the wake of Whitney Houston's passing, I suppose this question was going to come up eventually, so: do you care when celebrities die?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I care in that I think "oh, that's really sad", but I've never cried for a celebrity's death. I reserve that for people I knew and talked to and such.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    If it was a celebrity that I cared for, I care very dearly. I'll pay my respect regardless with a tweet about their passing if I know of them. If I don't know them, I'll think it but won't tweet it. With all the passings that I can remember from recent years, the only ones I really cared for was Whitney Houston, Steve Jobs (if you count him as that), and Michael Jackson. I cried for Steve and Whitney.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It totally depends who it is, which idk I think is obvious lol. So far I have only reacted to the death of Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse and Whitney. MJ and Whitney I was upset but not really affected, I just really appreciated them and they were a part of my childhood. Amy Winehouse I was upset for quite a long time because I really adored her and her music was a part of my recent life.

Really dreading the death of David Bowie, Tom Waits and Phil Collins NOT GONNA LIE.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I agree with Toujours. I feel sad whenever I hear about anyone dying, celebrity or not. Although, if I didn't know them personally it doesn't really effect me.

Ayselipera

I haven't been upset by a celebrity death yet. I'll think "Oh that's really sad." for certain past celeb deaths, but I've never been actually affected. I think I could be for some celebrities I really like now, but I think it would only be if they had an untimely death. For example AS SOME MAY KNOW I love Kanye West, but unless he died suddenly I wouldn't be that upset. If he dies in old age then to me it would just be like a normal death and something just to look back and appreciate what I loved about him.

Years
    It depends on who it is. If its just a celebrity I knew of, or even a celebrity I didnt know, I'd feel sad, but not really be affected by it or anything.

If its a celebrity I absolutely loved, I would be really upset, and it would affect me. As Nick said, Steve Jobs (if you consider him a "celebrity") was someone I admired, so his death really affected me.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    As for me, if I really looked up to that celebrity, I'd be very upset if they died. Take for example, Michael Jackson. Despite all the creepy things he did in his lifetime, I looked up to him and his music and I was deeply saddened when he passed. Hell, I bawled my eyes out when I heard he had died. The same goes for Whitney; regardless of her drug habits and the other numerous problems in her life, her music touched me and I think that's all that really matters.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    It really depends on who it is. I mean, I care if anyone dies, but when it's someone who's really been an influence on me in some way, it does hit close to home. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston because my parents liked them, and I really did enjoy their music. So I was especially shocked and saddened by their respective deaths, especially since they both died young.

Years
    I think the only time I react to a celebrity death is when they die young (i.e Amy Winehouse), their death was caused by drugs/alcohol (i.e Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger) or if it was someone iconic (too many to name but one example might be Steve Jobs).

I don't usually cry about it anyway.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I "care" or take particular notice if it's someone that I respect or admire their work or look up to them. Otherwise, it's just another person who happened to die that day.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I care. Oh boy do I care. I find it the most crushing thing when a celebrity I cared for dies. I'm sorry to say that Whitney Houston's death, while tragic, didn't affect me much on a personal level, simply because "I Will Always Love You" is the only thing of hers I knew of. But recent celebrity deaths such as Bea Arthur and Rue McClanahan (yeah, I'm a Golden Girls fan lol) did make me really really upset. I think the one that upset me most was in 2009 when Andy Hallett, an actor I knew from his work on Angel, died at age 33 from a heart condition. That was awful.

Also, going to move this over to Culture & Media :)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Well, it's as sad as anyone dying, and I'm sure a lot of people love them/look up to them, so I imagine it's hard for them. I don't personally care about celebrities themselves though.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    if i somehow knew (like, through a song) the celebrity, i would care, of course. however, there are few celebrities i've grown attached to and none of them are dead, so i haven't experienced crying over a celebrity's death yet.

Years
    My reaction is rarely actually sadness, but usually indifference. I will only care about the death of people I cared for when they were alive, and this is usually not the case with celebrities.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    For me, to be honest, its not about celebrity, I just get sad whenever I get the news of someone's death, regardless whether I know him/her or not, all I can say is that I think this way i because I like looking at the fact that we are all basically human...I don't like prioritizing someone's death.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
    Last two times I remember missing Steve Irwin and Billy Mays. They were awesome.I wasn't really crying, though.

Also dreading the day Chuck Norris dies.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I've never cried over any celebrities, though I almost cried about Whitney Houston last night. I do care though, especially if it's someone I've heard of. It's...just crazy to think an icon passes and it's like "wow they're no longer here" and...idk. It's sad.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    The only celebrity death I really cared about was when Elizabeth Sladen, which nearly brought me tears. The most I've ever really felt for any other celebrity has been a disengaged "Oh. Well that's a shame." I find it hard enough to care for most people dying, never mind people who are more abstract figures than real to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    After going through Facebook, I just wanna say something about the "1 dies, 1 million cries. 1 million die, no one cries" and related things people say after celebrities die. A celebrity touches many lives, just like soldiers and (I guess) starving children, and any other example I'm forgetting. People get SO mad when people grieve celebrity deaths, and it's really, really annoying me. Would you rather no one care? And even worse is that the people that post this kind of stuff normally don't give a crap about soldiers or kids or any of that and they're just being big fat hypocrites. And I bet if a celebrity they cared about died, then they'd have all the care in the world. Like I say, every life is important. So yeah, just wanted to get that out of my system. People wanna act like celebrity lives aren't worth jack and such and that's just not right imo.

Back