• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider Colosseum & XD gen 3?

Pinta77

So colosseum and Xd are in the spin off section. But I would consider them gen 3 games because they can communicate with R/S/E and FR/LG, you build your own party, level up, explore a new region & clear a story. I think they're more than just a way to get gen 2 pokemon, I think they're there own gen 3 games, and good ones at that.

I always thought of them as gen 3 games rather than spin offs. What about you?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
They ARE spin-offs because they don't follow the gameplay as the main games (you know, you start, collect 8 badges, beat league, the routine) ;)
Everything that does not follow this is considered spin-off =)
But yeah, they do belong to 3rd generation gaming.
But they are still spin-offs =D

bobandbill

one more time
Years
They are gen 3 games (becausr they were made in that period of time and communicate with RSE/FRLG to boot), but not main gen 3 games.

I'd say the main gen 'number' games are the ones on a handheld, made by Game Freak. While Colosseum and XD do basically use the same game mechanics, they're made on the GCN by a separate company (Genius Sonority), and have their own significant differences (lack of wild Pokémon/no real routes, Shadow Pokémon/snagging, vast majority of battles being doubles). Hence I'd still think of them as spinoffs.

Sonata Of Chaos

Harnesser of Emeralds
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 15, 2014
My opinion is pretty much as they said before me: Both Colosseum and XD are spin-off games (really good ones though), yet both belong to the Generation 3 movesets and pokedex

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
Years
They technically are Gen 3 games. I never really think of them to be related to RSE/FRLG, but that was because I never traded to those games (well only RSE, I don't own Firered or Leafgreen cartridges).

Back