• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider video game music to be real music?

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    As far back as going to 8-bit systems with their pulse square sounds to nowadays with a full orchestra. Since I love video game music, obviously my answer is yes. Music does not have to have lyrics to convey a feeling, and if you look back, many of the old 8-bit and 16-bit systems have had their soundtracks remastered (professionally, not just by random youtubers like yours truly). What are your thoughts? Do you enjoy listening to certain scores of video game music, or not?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I'll move this to the Video Games section as it probably suits that better.

Personally - yes. It is music after all - a series of sounds arranged to make up a tune, so whether it's done by beeps or an orchestra doesn't change what it is (and when you can see some sheet music for some of the 8 bit games then whoever composed sure knew how to create a tune, especially so given the technical limitations on it as well). And you don't need lyrics for it to be a song (and some video game music have lyrics too, so).

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Yeah, it takes the same amount of skill (well, varying amounts in comparison) to make a video game song and many times it is created for the exact same purpose as non-video game music. Similarly, it can touch the player on the same level and inspire them on the same level as non-video game music, even if it doesn't have lyrics. Heck, I've had many a song reach me on a level that no non-videogame song could simply for its unique melody (or, in some cases, lack thereof). Then there are songs like Gentle Hands, which use their melody as well as their lyrics to make the player reflect on what they have done and on the subject matter.

Then there's ZUN's music, which, if you can't call that "real music", I don't know what is.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Sure. Why not? They're composers. Artists. Just different instruments (excluding orchestral sound tracks).

Video game music makes up a lot of my iPod

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Video game music is real music; enough so that the artist has to be extremely talented in order to capture the mood of the environment and its settings / events.

If you listen to Donkey Kong and Zelda, you'll hear a lot of moods within the songs that correspond with the area you're in. That's talent. That's art. That's music.

Here's a good example of how talented video game musicians use instruments, beat, tempo, etc. to capture the heart of the environment and its ambiance:

So skilful. Does this not simply sound like a volcano? Really, now.

+ as someone said before me, video game music is better than most music nowadays... My phone is purely VG music.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    If we allow so many artists that are considered bad to be musical artists, then video game music sure as hell counts for it. They have composers and scores like any other musical piece. I don't know what would make video game music lesser than the more typical thing you think of as music, like Bohemian Rhapsody or something.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Of course it's real music. Some of their scores are simply gorgeous. Seriously, most of my songs are VG music.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I think the improvements of musics in gaming these days brought it to the same level with real musics. I enjoyed some musics of quite recent video games like Super Mario Galaxy series.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
    Yes, I do consider them as real music as for almost all the new games today include musics from real artists.

And some still use Midi music which feels like heaven when they are just too awesome.

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
    Years
    I've always considered video games to be a type of art, and music is indeed art in it's own form. So, when we're talking about video game music, then yes, I'd say it's real music, because it was created by real composers, and music designers. Thus, that's all part of it's art.

Years
    I've heard such a wide range of melodies even from 8-bit music, that I'd have to agree that yes, it most definitely is "real" music. Of course, I'm also the one who's managed to find an online playlist of such tunes and listens to them at times, so. Maybe somewhat biased? :P But yeah, just because a song was made for a video game doesn't mean it doesn't qualify. It's composed of everything else that makes up actual music!

(I've actually stopped what I'm doing in games before just because I finally took notice of the soundtrack playing, and just wanted to stand there and listen. Some of the stuff I've heard in games...man. Awesome. Definitely sets the mood for whatever's going on.)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's the only kind of music I even tolerate listening to these days for the most part. I'm going with yes. Why shouldn't it be? I haven't seen a single valid argument against that statement.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Spinosaurus said:
    It's the only kind of music I even tolerate listening to these days for the most part. I'm going with yes. Why shouldn't it be? I haven't seen a single valid argument against that statement.
    Pretty much this. I'd prefer listening to Megaman tracks over and over instead of the music we get these days. Not to say music as of late has been bad but...there hasn't been much that has appealed to me, to be honest.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Wow.

I don't understand how anyone could seriously ask this question. But I suppose it's all relative to one's tastes.

Personally, I have a LARGE amount of video game music in my collection. Mostly remixes, but this music is much better than many of the mainstream artists productions.

I mean COME ON! Listen to that song and try to tell me that's not quality music, I dare you. I daresay that anyone who seriously could do that is certainly not someone who has any tastes that I would find acceptable.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Uh, yes it still counts as music if it comes from a video game, as it's part of a soundtrack. If we use logic that music from video games doesn't count as real music, then some of the best, most recognisable tracks in today's society aren't even music.

Video games have come far from the beeps and blips in a arcade cabinet, and have featured cd-quality soundtracks for over 20 years.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    Yes I consider video game music to be 'real' (what is fake then?) video game music plays a curial role in the games themselves and bring out the emotions that are portrayed on screen. Could you even imagine battling the final boss of the game with no dramatic heart pumping music to intensify the action? It wouldn't feel right.

Some video game soundtracks have even gone as far to win awards. (Journey has won a Grammy for its soundtrack)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Is anyone in this thread not going to say that it's music? I mean, it is music. Just as much as me whistling a tune that I make up as it goes along is music. Just as a Mozart or a Bach or a Chopin piece is music. Just as something as detestable as 'Harlem Shake' is music. It's not not music, it's not 'music', it's just music.

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
    Years
    I prefere video game music over most music that many people listen to today! I think it should deserve to be known as real music! Besides the only music that could compare is from youtube artists, (not that theres is anything that is good in the charts(on tv, radio and such.).

Last edited:

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
    Of course it is music! ^^ Video game composers are tasked with conveying a certain atmosphere as well as elicit a desired set of emotions, whereas many mainstream musicians simply focus on creating something catchy and easily recognizable for profits sake. Also, the most popular artists often resemble commercial products themselves rather than actual music auteurs. If you consider music to be an artform, most video game music would certainly have the upper hand over mainstream music in that regard.

There is of course great differences between video game music as well, I'm not necessarily saying the soundtrack of the latest Bomberman is a work of art. (Not that I've heard it.)

Back