• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Consider Video Games to be... Art?

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • I'd like to think that they can be for a number of reasons:
    1) The art style of the game itself, and how it may influence gameplay (cell shaded, sandbox builders, etc.)
    2) The storyline of the game. This is probably my main point, as I play a number of games that have an in-depth story sequence. I like to compare those games to reading a book where, yes the paths are set, but you choose the direction you follow.
    3) The community for the game. Basically the fan-made creations which, although not directly by the game itself, inspired creativity in people who are much more creative than I am. I believe there is a saying that goes "Art influence art". So if the creations can be called such, why can't the source material?

I also think that it's important to remember that even under the best circumstances, not everything fits in one catagory. There are some games that could be considered art and some that probably wouldnt be. It depends on the presentation.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I've always found it kind of silly that people argue against this. People complain about new media. It's been that way since novels mostly replaced plays and it'll be that way when video games start to become viewed as obsolete compared to... Holograms, maybe? To say a game can't be art is to miss the point of art entirely. Art has been described by many as being anything created by man that can cause emotions to be experienced by others. In this way, I find video games to be one of the single most respectable forms of art. A painting may be beautiful, but it can't get you as invested as a well crafted experience in an interactive media such as video games can. To his day one of the few fictional experiences that has elicited a real emotional reaction from me is, of all things, the end of the Borderlands 2 Dragon Keep DLC.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • It depends on how it's created. If it's an overproduced sequel using some formula to profit then no I'd argue that isn't art. That's economics, that's almost a pseudoscience. But something created to tell a story, or to evoke emotions within people that are deeper than simply "cool!" would be art.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I consider all games "art" in the vague sense. Saying that certain games are art while some aren't is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and annoying.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I've always found it kind of silly that people argue against this. People complain about new media. It's been that way since novels mostly replaced plays and it'll be that way when video games start to become viewed as obsolete compared to... Holograms, maybe? To say a game can't be art is to miss the point of art entirely. Art has been described by many as being anything created by man that can cause emotions to be experienced by others. In this way, I find video games to be one of the single most respectable forms of art. A painting may be beautiful, but it can't get you as invested as a well crafted experience in an interactive media such as video games can. To his day one of the few fictional experiences that has elicited a real emotional reaction from me is, of all things, the end of the Borderlands 2 Dragon Keep DLC.
    Video games are nowhere near better than novels from your decription.

Novels are more "art" than video games! See how stupid that sounds?

There's nothing that could come out of this debate. What art is, it's subjective. To me video games are nothing but means to pass time and have fun, like an actual toy. Why don't I ever see arguments about how toys are art?

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I thought I made it pretty clear that Video games being more respectable as art was nothing more than my opinion.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • Art is not a description of the quality of something, it's an actual word that has a definition. Video games can be just as much art as any other form of media or actual "art work". Even things that cannot be seen can be considered art like the mechanics of a game or even the music, which is usually custom made for games.

Back