• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Do Gyms in Improper Order?

Gimmepienow

Man-Eating Diglett!
Years
  • Some gyms you can actually skip and come back to later on in the game like for example in Diamond and Pearl, you can skip Maylene and head right to Pastoria to beat Crasher Wake.

Have you ever done this before?

Gimmepienow

Man-Eating Diglett!
    Years
  • I actually did it by accident on my first playthough of Pearl, I somehow managed to make it to Pastoria before Veilstone despite people blocking your path in Hearthome

DeeJayFusion

My ROFLcopter goes Soi
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2010
    I have done that. It's kinda hard considering you need to be good to do it xD

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Only once. I think this thread should be covering All games, not just the pokemon series, cause there are very few possibilities to do this in the games except for the mentioned place.
    For example: In the legend of zelda: Ocarina of time, I did the "desert" temple before I did the "dark" temple, because it was too scary. XD

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I've done this in every generationespically in the RBY FR LG onesin FR and LG you can skip around like crazy, if you trade over a pokemon that knows cut before you hit up the SS anne you can skip the ship and come back to it later. lets see, you can skip erikas gym and head down to fushia.i just do this alot to get some extra training. and its alot of fun to spike the gym leaders too xDDD

Years
  • In the first 2 generation games, it depends on my mood and my team's strengths and weaknesses which gym i fight first, for example i often fight Pryce before heading to Olivine and Cyanwood. But in the later generations, there isn't much to skip (it would be so awesome to skip Wattson), so i don't.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I recall having done so in one of the old games but I don't remember any details.

Years
  • I only ever do it in R/B/Y/FR/LG. In fact, I don't think I know what IS the proper order for those... once you get to Celadon, everything just kind of mushes together until you learn Surf.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I only really would have in Yellow and Silver, but more by accident. In Platinum I did travel right around that lower-right circle of cities before battling the Gyms, because I wanted to train a Raichu (cliche I know, but its better than Shinx :X and I think I forgot about Rotom, since it was the only one I didn't see by the time I beat the Pokemon League). But then I went back around and battled the Gyms in order.

Last edited:

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • No because I would rather do them in order. I dont think I ever did the gyms in an improper order before though.

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2010

For example: In the legend of zelda: Ocarina of time, I did the "desert" temple before I did the "dark" temple, because it was too scary. XD
    Do you possibly mean shadow temple, and spirit temple? If your confused about which one is normally first, so am I...

I did not know you had to battle Maylene first, I thought you had to battle Wake... So I guess that would be a yes for me...

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • Yeah I always seem to skip some gym leaders, then when I want to go challenge the elite four the dudes guarding teh e4's palace/colosseum thing say I need to get all the gym leaders so I usually get lost and eventually find the gym leader I need to beat.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • Never really even thought of skipping a gym.. But perhaps I did it by accident in some game, don't remember where it was though. Probably Crystal. It's easy to get lost in Kanto there.

Vespinus

as Shocking as Thunder!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    I've never skipped a gym, also though the only reason I didn't is because I was in the Pastoria gym and I hadn't yet done the Veilstone gym. Anyway, I hadn't healed at the Pokemon center in Pastoria and I got beaten By Crasher Wake. I was sent back to Veilstone. I was very very annoyed. :/

BlueShuckle

School Boy
    Years
  • Only once. I think this thread should be covering All games, not just the pokemon series, cause there are very few possibilities to do this in the games except for the mentioned place.
    Same, spirit before Shadow Temple.
    In Pokemon I've always beaten the gyms in order.

Back