• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Do Gyms in Improper Order?

Years
    No To be Honest I Like To Play Fair And Not Cheat.
    I Also Didn't Know You Could Do It Lolz >D

Cheating = Nooby

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I once went to Wake first, thinking that when i defeated him, pokemon below lv.60 would obey me, i didn't realise you had to beat 4 gyms to do that. So, to use my lv.35 Electabuzz,i just wasted all pp on every move cept Thunderpunch. Healed it with potions, then went to Pastoria. That way all it could do was disobey or use Thunderpunch.And, true to Electabuzz nature, being violent, it attacked. I beat 2 gyms without healing. Other than that, i do proper order.

Well, except for on LeafGreen, i always leave Sabrina til 2nd last.

In Hoenn i do them normal order, and when i get Hg/Ss, i'm doing them normal order, coz i've never played Johto before

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I've never done them out of order, I didn't realize it was possible.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    Some gyms you can actually skip and come back to later on in the game like for example in Diamond and Pearl, you can skip Maylene and head right to Pastoria to beat Crasher Wake.

Have you ever done this before?

No, but in a way you could consider I do the same same thing, as I usually battle with Pokemon at least 10 levels below each Gym Leader's Pokemon, so it's about the same handicap.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    No To be Honest I Like To Play Fair And Not Cheat.
    I Also Didn't Know You Could Do It Lolz >D

Cheating = Nooby

It isn't cheating, you might want to reread the first post. You still have to do the ones you skip, just not in the normal order. And only certain Gyms have optional orders.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I've done this in every generationespically in the RBY FR LG onesin FR and LG you can skip around like crazy, if you trade over a pokemon that knows cut before you hit up the SS anne you can skip the ship and come back to it later. lets see, you can skip erikas gym and head down to fushia.i just do this alot to get some extra training. and its alot of fun to spike the gym leaders too xDDD

lol, i did that with my original red version. to this day, S.S. Anne is still there!

Years
    Nope, I never did skip the gym order in my only playthrough of Diamond. The only time I skipped the order was in the original games where I usually did the Silph Co. quest right after Lavender Town. Once I defeated Giovanni, I went straight for the gym before heading south. The gym has the Soul Badge before the Marsh Badge so I was technically skipping the order.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I usually beat Cinnabar Gym before Saffron Gym because i usually have more offensive attacks against Fire pokemon, weak fire pokemon. Saffron is just harder to me, so i like to make it a little easier on myself and go to Cinnabar.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    No, I never really did go the "improper" way. I never thought of doing it that way though...I think I may just have to try it that way...

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Well since it never occurred to me that I could skip, I never did. Plus, with the whole level scheme and all, it seems a little wiser in the long run.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    I did that in Red a bit; skipped past half the gyms so I could get to Fuschia and go to the Safari Zone. I don't think I did that in D/P though.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    In all the previous generations, never had it occured to me that you could've skipped one or two Gym Leaders and go on to the next. I've always leveled up my pokémon ahead of the next Gym Leader's pokémon's levels so I would beat them easily, but thinking of how you could skip one would be pretty cool to accomplish or experience.

Nevertheless, I would probably just stick to how the game was meant to be played. However, I would at least try once to see how hard or even fun it could be to do so.

Back