• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you do this while playing pokemon?

Years
    Whenever I'm trying to catch a pokemon, I hold down the down arrow and B button. For some reason I feel like it gives me a better chance in catching them haha

Or like when I'm battling and my pokemon gets hit with an attack, I hold right arrow hoping it will stop my pokemon from taking so much damage and vice versa xD
    Stupid, and totally untrue, I know. But do you do anything like that? :]

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Good god, yes. When I was younger, there were 9001 rumors about different button combinations that would increase your chance of catching a pokemon. The one that sticks out most in my mind is holding B+down to turn a Great Ball into a Master Ball.

To this very day, I will still press B+down whenever I chuck any balls. Not because I think it will help anything, but because I've been conditioned to doing it for so long that it's just a natural reflex. :[

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I do a "button combination" while catching Pokemon, unfortunately. This is the one I use most (after hearing it from someone else): I hold down the A and B buttons as the ball is thrown, then let go of the A button as the ball opens. As the ball falls down, I press the down button on the D-pad, then move my thumb around the D-pad clockwise nonstop. It doesn't work, but I still do it sometimes.

Years
    That is too funny, I thought I might be the only one :P

In Pearl I always try to press down and B at the same time right when the ball closes and flashes hahaha

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Yep, heard a lot of rumors about that when I was younger, and can't seem to break the habit. Even when I use a masterball I'm sort of tempted to hold the button down :P

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    heh, when I'm trying to catch big 'mons, I tend to use some random combo of buttons that won't work for the lols. It makes me feel better, so it does something, I guess. :D

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
    Yes, of course.
    Although mine's a tad different. Instead of holding down the "B" button and the "down" button, I hold "A" the moment the Pokeball closes. idk why, though. I think I've read that it works from some "tips" site or whatever.

Nathaniel.

is here
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2012
    When I throw the Pokéball, I press all the buttons at the same time in the NDS and release when I catch it.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Funnily enough when I chuck a Poké Ball is the only time I don't do anything (except maybe grip the console very hard and throw it across the room when "Shoot! It was so close too!" pops up). I probably picked that up from watching the animé, where they just stare at the thing until it goes 'ping'.

I do however pummel the Right D-Pad and A buttons when my Pokémon has been hit by something Super Effective or Critical Hit (or both), because at one point I used to think it would push up the HP bar. Now of course I know it doesn't, but I still do it out of habit.

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    Whenever I try to catch a Pokémon I tend to spam the A-button continuously, I've been doing it in Pokémon games for years. I'm not sure if I was told that'd help me catch Pokémon easier or if I started doing it because I was impatient.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Yes, yes, yes! I heard all the rumors in my early years. I know it does absolutely nothing, but I still do it out of habit, especially against legendaries when I get frustrated that they just won't capture!

BartCiao

It has always been Pokemon :)
    Years
    When I'm catching Pokemon I'm always tapping the Pokeball on the lower screen:P I know it's stupid but I still do it:D
    BTW I know it's off-topic but lastly I spent 10 dusk balls 23 Ultra Balls and a lot of other balls to catch Articuno with a great ball XD

Years
    Haha, this is too funny.
    I love how everyone has like certain times that they do it. Like when they throw the pokeball or when it falls haha

When I'm catching Pokemon I'm always tapping the Pokeball on the lower screen:P I know it's stupid but I still do it:D
    BTW I know it's off-topic but lastly I spent 10 dusk balls 23 Ultra Balls and a lot of other balls to catch Articuno with a great ball XD
    Haha! That happened to me when I played Ruby trying to catch Groudon! I went through twenty something Ultra balls and then got him with a great ball!

Last edited:

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
    well i didnt pressed any buttons unless a cheat was into it[AR] but yeah when i played emerald and leafgreen i hold ab button at once and it did gave me a feeling that i am going to catch and it worked 7/10 XD

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    well i do something like that. when i choose the use optuion on a pokeball in battle i don't release the a button but i press theb button and hold both down untill the end of the balls job. and when my pokemon takes damage i press the right arrow. lol. it just became a habit.

Back