• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever keep your Pokemon from evolving till the end?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • I used to do this back in 1st gen (I seem to recall Lv100 Voltorb and Goldeen) but since then I've learned more about the game and I wouldn't dream of keeping a Pokemon from its final form except to pick up certain attacks. And they'd most certainly be evolved by level 100.

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • I only delay evolution if there's a move I really really want to learn sooner, or if it's not learnable by the evo. I don't use pokemon that evolve into something I don't like, because for me, the growing from a smaller cute badass into a bigger scary badass is one of the best parts.

Hehe, it's also the reason I almost never use non-evolving pokemon. I think the only exceptions are Snorlax and Sableye.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • No, I don't. :( Most of my favourites that aren't final evolutions are baby Pokémon so there is literally no benefit to not evolving them. ><;

I remember in Diamond I tried not to evolve Piplup for a long time because I disliked both its evolutions but around level 30 I gave in and evolved it to Prinplup. :/ I did the same with Houndour until level 40 or so, but it didn't really matter because I was training it up to the same level as me level 50 team anyway so all those levels since 24 seemed the same anyway. T_T;

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • I have a Stage 1 addiction with starter pokemon. I beat the Pokemon League with a Quilava in Soul Silver recently and multiple times with Marshtomp in Emerald and Ruby.

Sometimes there are exceptions though, like when I'm trying to get through the game fast, so as to get certain Pokemon to migrate over (gotta have them dark types~!) or any other reason involving speed or strength. Lately though, I'm starting to get over this, but only for the Pokemon I've had multiple times in the past. ;p;

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I don't let some of my Pokemon evolve, due to the fact that I think it's cooler than it's next evolution. :3

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I tend to evolve them before the Elite 4, basically because they are at their strongest point. However, if I do not like the next evolution eg. LickyLicky, then I will not evolve them.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Now, the only pokemon I don't evolve is Pikachu. Why mess with the Pokemon mascot?

Before I got my second DS, the only pokemon I didn't evolve were the ones I had to trade. But now I have 2 DS's and the trading ability.

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • If its a Pokemon I'm actually using for battling purposes it always ends up in its final form. Most ofcourse whenever they try, but for pokemon with more special requirements, I gauge it off what the form they're in knows and can learn VS its evo'd counter part.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I only post-pone evolutions, when getting a move earlier, like Aqua Tail for Dratini at Lvl 31 and Discharge for Flaaffy (Lvl?) I never keep them at there NFE forms, even if I love there Pre-evo more (see Ivysaur, Nidorina,Gabite,Stunky,murkrow,Misdreavus,ect.)

Years
  • Kadabra is the main one for me :D

Also Haunter, Machoke, Staryu, Dragonair and Poliwhirl.

In terms of first stage - Azurill.

I'm also keener on Makuhita than Hariyama, but that's enough for now lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    I remember when Yellow first came out, I played the entire game of unevolved pokemon. The team was Pikachu (couldn't evolve him even if I wanted to), Charmander, Squirtle, and Growlithe. It wasn't fun but it made for a great experience.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • No, No, No! One of my rules: If it's a Pokemon that can evolve, evolve it.

Unless ofcourse I need them to learn a certain move, then I let them evolve. Other than that, no. No matter how cute it is (like Skitty) it's always better as a Delcatty.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • I don't care about competitive battling, so I never evolve pokemon that I like better unevolved. My team has a Pikachu, a Meowth, a Skitty and a Koffing, all level 100 and unevolved.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • The only Pokemon I've never evolved to it's final form is Vigoroth in RSE, but now that I'm using a Ninetails instead, I'll probably just use my Rare Candy and evolve it for completion's sake.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    Oh yeah! ever since diamond/pearl I have a list growing!
    I NEVER (except once) evolve my bulbasaur.
    hmmm.... here:

Bulbasaur
    Murkrow
    Sneasel
    Buizel
    Wingull
    togepi
    porygon
    lickitung
    tangela
    Misdreavis
    Buneary
    Goldeen

Yeah people, i'm picky.
    Though, in my defense, I only have 7 of those 12 pokemon, so...

Voul

S u p p o r t i n g [M e]
    Years
  • Anyone here NEVER evolve certain Pokemon even though it would be stronger? For me I do with Haunter. I just think Haunter looks cooler than Gengar.

I also prefer Magmar over Magmorter.

I usually do this with my Sandshrew, Scyther, and Rhydon. I don't like Scyther's and Rhydon's Evolutions and Sandshrew is just too adorable.

Back