• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever nickname your Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I did once, I called Chimchar (my very first Pokémon) Chimpy because idk. I took him across my whole journey through Snnoh and he never left my party (this was when I knew nothing of competitive etc.).

I also want to come up with nicknames for the following Pokémon, but I'm not creative enough. I listed some of their moves I thought might give some inspiration.

Charizard (Mega X) [M | Dragon Claw, Flare Blitz
    Clefable [F | Moonblast, Calm Mind, Flamethrower, Moonlight
    Greninja [M | Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory
    Wash Rotom [Genderless | Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-o-wisp
    Talonflame [F | Brave Bird, Flare Blitz
    Excadrill [M | Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Metal Claw, Rock Slide

I would have called my Excadrill "Digger" or "Tunneler" but it doesn't even know dig or anything.

Anyway, what are your experiences with nicknaming Pokémon? Do you do it often because it creates a more personal bond with them, or keep them with their species name? Also please give meh free nicknames please I mean you're only here to do that no don't leave...

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I always give nicknames to my Pokemon teams. Course I always make sure the nicknames follow a theme. I also have my own rules when it comes to the themes and the nicknames. The first rule I have is that I never repeat a theme I have used before. The second rule is I never reuse a nickname that I have used before.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I did once, I called Chimchar (my very first Pokémon) Chimpy because idk. I took him across my whole journey through Snnoh and he never left my party (this was when I knew nothing of competitive etc.).

I also want to come up with nicknames for the following Pokémon, but I'm not creative enough. I listed some of their moves I thought might give some inspiration.

Charlie Charizard (Mega X) [M | Dragon Claw, Flare Blitz
    Cynthia Clefable [F | Moonblast, Calm Mind, Flamethrower, Moonlight
    Leonardo Greninja [M | Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory
    Potscubber 980 Wash Rotom [Genderless | Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-o-wisp
    Jean Grey Talonflame [F | Brave Bird, Flare Blitz
    Steel Mole Excadrill [M | Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Metal Claw, Rock Slide

I would have called my Excadrill "Digger" or "Tunneler" but it doesn't even know dig or anything.

Anyway, what are your experiences with nicknaming Pokémon? Do you do it often because it creates a more personal bond with them, or keep them with their species name? Also please give meh free nicknames please I mean you're only here to do that no don't leave...
    My ideas for names for your pokemon in Bold.
    I think it'll be obivious how I came up with "Charlie" for Charizard.

I actually looked up the meaning of the name "Cynthia", & I found that's the name
    of a Roman moon goddess, so it'd be a good name for a female Clefable.

Greninja is a ninja, is blue &....
    NOT a teenage mutant turtle...
    But I think "Leonardo" is a good name nontheless!
    Or it could be named "Ryu" in the honor of Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden...

For the wash Rotom's nickname, I've looked at the dishwasher we have at my house &
    found "Potscubber 980" on the front... A silly idea, but it works, no?

I came up with the name "Jean Grey" for your female Talonflame, since
    in the X-men comics, Jean Grey becomes Phoenix.
    & it's just a good name for girls.

For your Excadrill, I decided to do a Mega Man X style name, so I came up with Steel Mole.

& I nickname most of my pokemons & here are some of my favorites:
    Luana (female Lucario)
    Po (male Pangoro)
    Almark (male Sylveon)
    Zero (male Blaziken)
    Bowser (male Tyrantrum)
    Selina Kyle (female Liepard)

EDITED IN:
    Speaking of Chimchar...
    I had one I've named Stoney Kong...
    It's now a Infernape & belongs to my mother now & is one of her
    favorite pokemon to use.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not always, only those which I really love like to use. Most of my shinies aren't even nicknamed, even though they're not for trade.

Team I recently used to beat Pokemon X:

Turbo - Charizard (Mega Y)
    Michelle - Linoone
    HowItWorks - Magneton
    Bloodshot - Sandslash (Shiny)
    Ella - Espeon
    Mark - Vaporeon

Years
  • I usually name mine puns.
    Flygon- With the Wind
    Scizor- Don't run with
    Gogoat- Power Rangers
    Cacturne- Back the Clock
    Exeggutor- Judge, Jury
    Kecleon- Kings of

You get it...

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I was just thinking and I imagine "Silver" being a good name for a Pokémon that is colored as such.

TGM

Lunar Silhouette
    Years
  • I only nickname the poke'mon I breed and EV usually.

Among my favorites:

Katz - Meowstic

Evilpede - Scolipede

Coatlicue - Milotic

Artemis - Shiny Milotic

Solaris - Shiny Volcarona

Iridesence - Espeon

Incandesence - Espeon

He comes... - Mega Pinsir

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I always nickname every Pokemon I catch, majority I give similar themed nicknames -

most mustelid-based Pokemon (those that like otters, ferrets, weasels) I nickname them after tv show "Meerkat Manor" - cat-based Pokemon I nickname after cats I like from certain tv shows/movies featuring cats (examples include: Tom, Sylvester, Kiara) - my main exception is if I'm playing a team in another language - I'll try to stick with nicknames from that region (such as my Cat Team I'm playing in French so I gave them French-themed nicknames - my Dark Team I'm playing in German so I gave them German-themed nicknames)

now the long list of all my current nicknames:
    Spoiler:

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • I always nickname mine. Leaving them with their species name is like calling my dog 'Dog'.

Years
  • Since White 2, I have always nicknamed the Pokémon I use in-game. The only times since that I can recall which I haven't are my first Black 2 playthrough and my recent Y Normal Monotype, both because I was trying to zip through them as quickly as possible.

Before then I would sometimes nickname stuff I could use that was IV bred and the like, or shiny Pokémon for that matter.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I love nicknaming my Pokemon in whatever I play, whether it be Pokemon White, or even nicknaming the Pokemon on my teams on Pokemon Showdown! It adds a sense of personality to my Pokemon, and gives me a chance to be imaginative. :p

My personal favourite nickname has to be Mr. Sparkle, a nickname for a Rotom-Wash I had on a PS team of mine. Of course, it was named after the detergent product featured in an episode of The Simpsons, and it related really well with Rotom-W being, well...a washing machine. I've named my Pokemon after many things - anime characters, Touhou characters, gods/goddesses, even my significant others. I almost never nickname my legendary Pokemon though - except for that one time a friend of mine suggested nicknaming my Ho-Oh "Tsubasa", a Japanese word I forgot the meaning to. It was a beautiful name, so I took it.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I used to never nickname my Pokémon because I had a hard time thinking of names, but now I always nickname my Pokémon. I usually do themes like food or types of flowers.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    My ideas for names for your pokemon in Bold.
    I think it'll be obivious how I came up with "Charlie" for Charizard.

I actually looked up the meaning of the name "Cynthia", & I found that's the name
    of a Roman moon goddess, so it'd be a good name for a female Clefable.

Greninja is a ninja, is blue &....
    NOT a teenage mutant turtle...
    But I think "Leonardo" is a good name nontheless!
    Or it could be named "Ryu" in the honor of Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden...

For the wash Rotom's nickname, I've looked at the dishwasher we have at my house &
    found "Potscubber 980" on the front... A silly idea, but it works, no?

I came up with the name "Jean Grey" for your female Talonflame, since
    in the X-men comics, Jean Grey becomes Phoenix.
    & it's just a good name for girls.

For your Excadrill, I decided to do a Mega Man X style name, so I came up with Steel Mole.
    While these are great suggestions, I was thinking of going with some that aren't really 'persony human names', like "Steel Mole", "Potscubber 980" or something like "Turbo" as was mentioned by Recluse, and not really "Charlie". The exception sort of applies to things like Leonardo, but I think I'd rather go with something else.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I always nickname mine. Leaving them with their species name is like calling my dog 'Dog'.

I've never thought of it that way, unfortunately. If I had, I'm sure I would have nicked anything I'd get my hands on, haha.

As for me, I rarely nickname any of my Pokémon, sadly. It's a nice feature, but since it's optional, I would always select "no," so that I could quickly move on and whatnot. If it were mandatory, however, then that would've been a completely different story. If I remember correctly, last time I've ever nicknamed anything was about four to six months ago.

First ever nick I had given to any Pokémon was, if I remember correctly, was Squirtle. I've named it Water Turtle, or something along the lines. Sadly, I wasn't get too creative, as I was rushing through so that I could proceed and continue playing. Second would be Firizard, which is a play on the words fire and lizard; it was given to Charmander.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • I've never thought of it that way, unfortunately. If I had, I'm sure I would have nicked anything I'd get my hands on, haha.

As for me, I rarely nickname any of my Pokémon, sadly. It's a nice feature, but since it's optional, I would always select "no," so that I could quickly move on and whatnot. If it were mandatory, however, then that would've been a completely different story. If I remember correctly, last time I've ever nicknamed anything was about four to six months ago.

First ever nick I had given to any Pokémon was, if I remember correctly, was Squirtle. I've named it Water Turtle, or something along the lines. Sadly, I wasn't get too creative, as I was rushing through so that I could proceed and continue playing. Second would be Firizard, which is a play on the words fire and lizard; it was given to Charmander.
    Yeah, the only things I never nickname are legendaries 'cause it doesn't seem right. They're meant to be these all-powerful rulers of nature etc. and someone could end up calling one 'Mr. Sparkles'.

Years
  • I always nickname my pokemon, and those I trade unless the other person specifically doesn't want me to. Leaving them without feels like naming my dog 'Dog'. Some of my favorites are Sarabi the Shiny Pyroar (Lion King, Simba's mom), King and Royal the normal and shiny Tyrantrums, Legacy the Charizard, Nightingale the Noivern, and Azrael the Ariados.
    I almost never nickname legendaries though, with them being one-of-a-kind I feel like their species name is their name. Occasionally though I do. Like Baal'zash, my first Zekrom (Means Shock and Awe. It was a story thing) Or Victor the Victini (Hurrhurr originality). Oh, and also Mr. Wobbles the Mewtwo once. Because why not.

Years
  • Only those who I IV bred and EV trained received nicknames and they are as followed:

Nova (Male Charizard)
    Smoke (Male Skarmory)
    Quan Chi (Male Aegislash)
    Maia (Female Charizard)
    Ermac (Male Talonflame)
    Sindel (Mandibuzz)
    Jade (Female Whimsicott)
    Mileena (Female Espeon)
    Kitana (Female Espeon w/ perfect IVs)
    Jax (Male Excadrill)
    Ashrah (Chansey)
    Ruby (Female Garchomp)
    Sonya (Female Scolipede)
    Selina (Female Goodra)
    Priscilla (Female Dragonite)
    Champ (Male Garchomp)
    Sensei (Male Blaziken)
    Prince (Male Sylveon)
    Zafina (Female Aegislash)
    Hanzo (Male Greninja)
    Scarlet (Female Blaziken)
    Lily (Female Glaceon)
    Orchid (Female Sylveon)
    Tanya (Female Tyranitar)

EV training and dedication pays off..

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    I sometimes nickname my pokemon. Mostly it's just favorites that get the cool nicknames. I'll list a couple.

Harbinger - Absol
    Anarchy - Gengar
    Witchery - Delphox, shiny, female
    Stormguard - Aegislash
    Yuka - Herdier, named after my Yorkie who looks like a Herdier
    Tulum - Sigilyph, shiny
    v1rUS.eX3E - Porygon-Z
    Neptune - Swampert

Dr. Wiggles

Free Thinker
    Years
  • I view the act as a waste of time. It would only be plausible to do such a thing if the game play is visible to others.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    I always nickname my Pokemon for that imaginary more "personal" connection, you know? The nicknames are usually from mythology, different languages (Latin or Spanish mainly), or are directly taken from already existing like Kaiju.

Some examples:

Garchomp= Gigan
    Ferrothorn= Biollante
    Nidoking= Baragon
    Hydreigon= Ghidorah
    Staraptor= Scream
    Kingdra= Amphritite
    Cofagrigus= Imhotep

There are a lot more, but I don't feel like typing it all out :p.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back