• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever not use your starter?

Black-Tigress

Exclusive Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    About a good 90% of the time - I don't use my starters. They eventually become HM slaves..The only starter I ever use and keep on the team until I defeat elite 4 is Venusaur..he rules.. <3

Now, even though he may not exactly be a Starter, my Charizard is the only other exception - for the next game that may come out..

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I didn't use mine once in a FireRed playthrough. There was a "Scramble Challenge" on Serebii where you used a team picked by other members with certain restrictions and I got picked a teak without a starter. I can't remember exactly what the team was, but it was pretty fun.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    The only generation where I didn't use a starter at all, was 4th gen. I wasn't really a fan of any of the starters in that generation. When I started Platinum, I chose Piplup, and immediately boxed it once I caught a Buizel and a Shinx for my two party members.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Not always. There are some games like Gen I - III where I have a hard time ditching my starter because those are some of my favorites, but then in Gen IV - V, I almost always ditch them. I'm okay with the Gen VI starters and haven't really played enough to have much opinion on them, but so far I really like two of the three so I don't think XY will become another "ditch your starter" game, haha.

Usually when I replay games though, I am doing a challenge and unless my starter fits into what I need somehow, I end up ditching it regardless of if I like it or not.

Also in Pokemon Colosseum where you get two starters, I feel kind of limited in that I only have four more slots to fill up, so I usually keep Umbreon and ditch Espeon. I think everyone picks their favorite of the two and ditches the other in that game though. :P

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    Also in Pokemon Colosseum where you get two starters, I feel kind of limited in that I only have four more slots to fill up, so I usually keep Umbreon and ditch Espeon. I think everyone picks their favorite of the two and ditches the other in that game though. :P

But, but you can't just ditch Espeon, they belong together! D:

I don't think I've had a first time play-through where I've ditched the starter. Afterwards though, depends on what I'm doing. Usually, like Syd said, I'll be doing a challenge and so the starter usually gets put aside whether I want it or not. In Colosseum though, Contrary to what I said, I usually drop Umbreon. Mostly because in Colosseum it learns next to no moves that actually make it useful in-game, and I always disliked how it started at lvl26 and Espeon only at 25.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    But, but you can't just ditch Espeon, they belong together! D:

I don't think I've had a first time play-through where I've ditched the starter. Afterwards though, depends on what I'm doing. Usually, like Syd said, I'll be doing a challenge and so the starter usually gets put aside whether I want it or not. In Colosseum though, Contrary to what I said, I usually drop Umbreon. Mostly because in Colosseum it learns next to no moves that actually make it useful in-game, and I always disliked how it started at lvl26 and Espeon only at 25.

You are guilty of it too, you admitted it! ;) I should say though, I like both Pokemon, but sometimes it's annoying being shoved into having one starter, let alone two. I wanted more non-Eevees and Umbreon is my all-time favorite so naturally, it usually gets to stay. Although its move aren't that great, I find it useful in Colosseum (and the sequel for that matter) since it's a tank and you sometimes need that when catching the Shadow Pokemon. I have kept Espeon over Umbreon on occasion though and very rarely, I've dropped them both.

Besides, Umbreon x Shadow Quilava OTP. ;>

Years
    Hm, I think I try to keep my starter if possible? I can't list any specific examples of keeping it or not.

But if I end up finding a "better" pokemon of the same type, sorry, that starter's getting boxed. :( Although usually "better" for me means "I like the look of this pokemon more". Like, the current games I have I still have my starter, but I feel like when I played Gold and Sapphire I eventually ended up boxing it.

(I mean, I could be wrong, I can't check right now though!)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    You are guilty of it too, you admitted it! ;) I should say though, I like both Pokemon, but sometimes it's annoying being shoved into having one starter, let alone two. I wanted more non-Eevees and Umbreon is my all-time favorite so naturally, it usually gets to stay. Although its move aren't that great, I find it useful in Colosseum (and the sequel for that matter) since it's a tank and you sometimes need that when catching the Shadow Pokemon. I have kept Espeon over Umbreon on occasion though and very rarely, I've dropped them both.

Besides, Umbreon x Shadow Quilava OTP. ;>

What can I say - super hypocrite here! I agree, I always wanted to be able to purify as many Pokémon as possible, while still keeping one of his starters (Cause Seth worked hard with them, can't shove em both away). That OTP though...

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I always throw my starter away in a box. I like to see how the game plays out when you're stuck with the common Pokémon, like pretty much every NPC in the game except for your rival(s). Also I like to troll the rivals. They think they're hot stuff just because they have a starter that's strong against mine... keep dreamin', pal(s).

The only exception to my "no starter" rule would be in Gen II. I've spent so much time with Feraligatr on Gold, it's legitimately one of my favorite Pokémon and I really enjoy using it. So there's no point in dumping it in the PC.
    In Gen I, I usually have Persian as my lead. In Gen III, it's Mightyena (how surprising). In Gen IV, it's Luxray. In B/W, I use Minccino/Watchog until I can get me a nice Yamask, while in B2/W2 - much to Hugh's annoyance - I stick with Purrloin for much of the game.
    As for Gen VI, I haven't played it yet but I am very much interested in Aegislash. So, dear Kalos starters... as a certain British wrestler would say, I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
    Years
    I usually always use my starter. The only game I really went a few times without using the starter(s) in was Colosseum. For me it was easy to ditch Espeon and Umbreon, probably because I've played the game over ten times...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I normally use my starter unless I'm playing through a challenge and can't fit my starter in or I just really really want a team without a starter though the latter rarely happens since these days my extra playthroughs are challenges (because ever non-challenge run I've tried I got bored of because challenges make them far more interesting imo!) That said I've used almost every starter at least one with maybe the exception of the evolution of Oshawott since the only time I used it was when I was duplicating Ash's team (and as we all know his doesn't evolve). :b

Years
    Every time the thought of boxingy starter crosses my mind, I instantly feel bad and don't do it. I've always had my starters in my team, but honestly towards the end game I seriously think about swapping it out because after awhile I get sick of always having one of those three pokemon in every.single.playthrough.

Back