• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever play as the opposite gender PC?

How often do you play as the character who's the opposite gender as you?

• Often

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Depends on game and/or type of playthrough

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • On occasion if i'm bored

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • (Almost) never

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters

Mesmerella

Preschooler
    Years
    I'm a girl, so most of the time, I play as a girl. I occasionally pick the male character when I play R/S/E, mainly because I think May was much nicer as a rival than Brendan... I also occasionally pick Ethan when I play HG/SS, because he has a better design than Lyra. XD But those occasions are few and far between. Most of the time, I play as a girl.

My boyfriend also likes playing as a girl sometimes, as well... That's because he thinks they have better designs. XD I can't say I disagree.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    It really depends on the game for me. I have no choice in Gen 1, Gold and Silver, but I always play as a girl in Crystal. In Gen 3, I mix things up a bit and play as a boy and a girl in both Hoenn and Kanto. In fourth Gen, I'm almost always a girl in Sinnoh and a boy in Johto because I don't like the design of the male player character in Sinnoh and the female player character in Johto. It's equal again in fifth gen and I usually play with both genders in sixth gen.

Pikelodeon

Woo, pokemans!
    Years
    I play as the opposite gender because its a new experience, kinda. Whenever I play games or really do anything, I get into it, and try to put myself into the character's shoes.

RSC Cooper Inc

Disciple of Jesus Christ
    Years
    I've played through Hoenn a handful of times as May(mostly because I didn't like Brandon's look). That was back when I was 9 or 10 though.
    G/S were the next games I got after that, then when I got Crystal I was like "go against the flow!" and played as Kris.
    I've gone through Ranger once as each gender.
    I played a little bit of Diamond as Dawn, but I never got far in that playthrough.
    When I bought SSilver, I also bought HGold, so I played the latter as Lyra.
    Never played as any of the other girls(never played a female-only Pokemon[like Eevee] in PMD either)

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
    I usually choose male first, then female in the second game, then whichever I like design-wise better in the third...

Years
    I tend to play as the female often, I just find they look better. The guys tend to look similar, the only exception being Brandom who I always play as when I do a run through of R/S/E. I just find compared to the guys, the girls in each instance are very unique and individual in design which makes for a more enjoyable avatar.

Sonata Of Chaos

Harnesser of Emeralds
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2014
    The only game I played as Opposite Gender was Black 2, mainly because I wanted to try it since I played Black as male. After all, that is still an avatar of me into the game

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't really play a game as if I am the player character, rather I sort of imagine a personality for silent protagonists and steer them. So I play the male character just about as often as the female one, I honestly don't prefer either and don't keep count. Except for in Sinnoh, possibly, since I don't like the design of the male character as much as the female there, haha.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Depends on the game and if I have a nickname in mind. I primarily played as a female in Crystal, RSE, and FRLG. The first main game I considered being a boy was in Diamond because a) Pearl started as female and b) it was my brother's game so I wanted to keep it as a male playing it. I named this file Blade and it was the first OT I used to RNG abuse Pokemon.

Next game I played as a male would be HeartGold. I wanted to play as male because I did in the originals. I also recycled the name I had used, Brian.

Next game would be... ! I didn't ever play 5th/6th gen as a male. I didn't like the male designs.

Years
    Only once have I ever played as the opposite gender, and that was only in a replay of Sapphire, since I liked the novelty of having a rival named Brendan. I don't plan on ever playing through a main story as anything but the male character, unless we get those Ruby/Sapphire remakes, and it'd be for the same reason as stated above.

Years
    When the option of being a girl was added in Crystal, I tried it I believe once or twice, before playing as the boy. In Sapphire version, I played as May a few times, because her design was decent.

From Platinum on, though, I have always picked the boy (the opposite gender for me), for a few reasons: first, as a huge tomboy, the boy was just more appealing; second, I have never really liked the girls' designs; last, Stephanie (my real name) couldn't fit as a name, and I didn't want to use Steph. I instead went for a boy and named him Stephan from then on, lol.

Though, I plan on trying to use the girl in my Y version, because the character limit is higher, and you can customise your clothing.

Years
    I always used to play as the Guy but for X and White 2 I play the girl. The girl characters are cuter and look cooler where as some of the guy characters just look weird (like Brendon with his stupid hat and whats with lucas flat cap).

Back