• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever play without your starter?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
  • I very very rarely ditch my starter. I deposited Tepig in White. I've used every starter in a basic playthrough but I just couldn't use Tepig, haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    My friend got me thinking when he said that whenever he plays Yellow he always deposits his Pikachu. So have you ever played through a game without your starter?

I never have, but I would like to try sometime.

I usually play Virtual boy advance(GBA emulator) and i have Emerald and i always drop out if i accidently choose Treeko but Torchic or Mudkip THEY I WILL NEVER DROP OUT OF MY TEAM WHETHER IT IS MEANING LIFE OR DEATH!!!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I use my starter for a while, just until I find a Meowth, then my starter tends to get less attention as I favor Meowth/Persian (in my games they are always 10-15 levels higher than all other Pokemon). After a while of playing and caught more than 6, I tend to leave the starter in the PC, and switch with a different. Many times the starter remains in PC without ever coming out again.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2012
    I usually hold my starter in my in-game team, just a tradition since the first games :)
    Otherwise in my competitive teams i rarely put a starter on it.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    I don't always have starters in my team.

But if there is, it would be Charizard or Typhlosion.

But, if it's Pokemon Battle Revolution, I don't always use them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I always keep my starter on all playthroughs. Whatever on earth it is, it's still my first Pokemon. I just can't complete a playthrough without keeping my starter, because it always ends up being the powerhouse of my team.

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • After playing through several of the games several times with different teams, I have. I'd only keep my starter until I have access to the Union Room and trade over a Pokemon I want as a starter. Usually it is an Eevee because Eevee is awesome.

So yes, I have, many times actually.

Perico

Ripper
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    In first generations, I always trained my starter till it evolved and then I stop keeping it on my team. Now, I keep it more time (usually I use my starter to defeat the Elite 4) and then I deposit it.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • The majority of the time.

I tend to make teams with at least one Fire type, one Water type, one Grass type and one Electric type. Because the starters always fit the Fire/Water/Grass archetype, I tend to keep it around.

Occasionally I trade over another Pokemon to use as a replacement starter. This tends to be a Pokemon that you can't usually find in the region, like a Spheal in Sinnoh. Generally though I stick to the typical starters. It just feels more appropriate to stick with the regular starter Pokemon.

Years
  • I have never once deposited a starter. They are my Main pokemon and tend to be twice the levels of my other pokemon until after I beat the E4 then I start leveling up the rest. I am partial to fire pokemon so that is always my starter and I adore them. The only time a starter for me wasn't the main pokemon I used was in Yellow. I still had Pikachu on the team and used it against water/flying types but usually it sat in it's space and was rarely in battle.

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
    Years
  • It's usually 50/50 with me. Unless I'm playing HG/SS. I ALWAYS have Chikorita. Not sure what draws me in, but it's by far my favorite starter. If I could have one in real life, I'd do anything.

Years
  • I've always kept my starter in my party. Since I have it through the whole game I guess I just get attached :D

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
    Years
  • I could never ditch my favorite Venasaur that i've had ever since my first pokemon game I played, Leafgreen. I've transferred him all the way to White and he's hardly ever in my PC. But all the other starters I pick, (all of which are the grass starters) Venasaur is the only one I really use besides Torterra. I DO plan on one day training a team of grass starters using fresh pre-evolved forms. Grass starters rule!

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    Uh, mostly! I make it a point to kind of ditch my starter after I beat the elite four, just for more greener pastures so I can train more Pokemon to battle more tougher people and stuff, y'know? :x I fear that's stuff my starter probably can't handle!! /shot

But yeah, usually after I beat the game, I don't use my starter anymore.

TeeheeLP

Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2013
    Usually I always play with my starter, but recently I'm playing HG and using my Croconaw as HM slave while my Scizor and Gengar do all the fighting.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I usually don't, unless I buy two versions and like only one starter, which was the case in Sinnoh. I will usually deposit it and choose a wild Pokemon to take it's place.

Back