• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever see yourself buying useless crap?

Years
  • Well, do you? I certainly do.

I have a problem with controlling myself when it comes to buying things. Like, I'll go into Target to get some toilet paper, and I'll walk out with toilet paper, socks, body wash, shampoo, hair gel, a new toothbrush, a clock, a desk lamp, that CD, a mop, and some Starbucks on the way out.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't tend to do that, actually. I think really hard about what I want before I spend even 2 dollars on something, and decide if it's worth spending money on it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm usually really bad about this but I've been making a conscious effort to stop myself in the last ~8 months and it's been working, so hopefully I can keep it up.

I think hitting a pretty low point with my bank account was a pretty good incentive/reminder that I don't have disposable income and can't throw money around as much as I'd like to. :x So now I don't let myself talk myself into buying useless things anymore, though I still eat out/order in a lot more than I need to.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't. I kind of wish I did, but I don't. Sometimes I come across obscure things (figurines for example). I've never bought one because they serve no purpose. I wouldn't use it for anything.

Not to say I don't buy fun stuff. But I try to save up for something that's both fun and functional.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nah. I tend to think about what I buy, and more often than not, I save my money up for something I really want. The only thing I really splurge on is plushies. I can't pass up a Pokemon plushie I don't have. v_v But I collect them and use them to decorate where I keep my gaming systems and such, so they're not really a waste of money in Syd world.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I never buy useless crap, mostly because I can never find any useless crap I want haha - every time a book, game or DVD that I want comes out, I'll buy it - but I don't really consider that useless crap.

Usually the one time I do buy what I consider useless crap is when I go to the local comic book store with my friend. She's a fan of comics so I take her there once every few weeks to pick up her latest editions and it's a fledgling business and I usually feel bad for it because they're trying really hard to survive. So I find some Pokemon figurines and I buy them lmao. Now he calls me "Pokemon guy".

Vandesdelca

The one who would seize glory
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 6, 2015
    I do see myself doing it all the time. Mainly with trading cards, or buying drinks when I can bring something from home.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Oh God I'm horrible at this. They have this giant beauty store so close to where I work and I buy crap from there all the time now. I used to go to this little hippy shop and buy crap. I would go to Target and find useless crap. i'm horrible. ;;
    BUT, if I tend to not use it, I'll give it to friends or my little cousin.
    But yeah, when I'm married I'm forcing my husband to have a separate bank account so we aren't completely broke due to my impulse buying. ;;

Years
  • I've got some things that I didn't think were useless when I bought them that I think are useless now, but that's more of a case of my growing out of them. I usually don't buy things when I first think I want them. I force myself not to buy stuff until after I've had a little time to think about whether I'd really use it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Other than games, I only buy necessities... and games are pretty necessary to me. lol (Although, I haven't the money to buy one since november. D:)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Apparently I'm guilty of this; I buy trading cards sometimes, if that counts as useless, but it's either for the sake of collection or for fine-tuning my decks.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I do buy a lot of stuff I don't really need (as a necessity), not at stores I do it all the time online. Even if I only had $10 (US Dollars) I'll spend them right away.

Ayselipera

Never happens anymore. Most times I'll walk into the store and pick up something I want and as I'm walking to the register I decide I can't spend my money and I put it in a random aisle and walk out. ayayaya

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh I do all the time. I went into Target a month or so ago for a computer mouse because mine broke due to sibling action. I came out with an umbrella, a packet of drinking straws, a miniature badminton set, a small blended vanilla bean creme drink, two bags of chocolate chips, a can of frosting and a mouse. No exaggeration; that's all listed straight from the receipt.

I am absolutely useless at money management. :x

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Useless is in the eye of the beholder. With that said, I'm pretty sure my parents would consider the various anime pencil boards, figurines, old car and hotel literature, and such that I've bought off eBay to be "useless" in their eyes.

However, in brick and mortar stores, I'm much less likely to make impulse buys of stuff I don't need, for the simple reason that I need to save my money to buy the "useless" stuff off eBay that I do want :P And the stores in town don't carry any anime stuff.

Years
  • Not so much lately. I don't feel like I have the money to blow on frivolous things.

When it comes to physical items, anyway. I am bad about budgeting money for food. I need to learn to make more meals so I can make a list and stick to it. I'll go to the grocery store several times a week for little things, which adds up over time. D:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I am an impulse food buyer, but that's about it. If I walk past a shop and there's something smelling really delicious, I'll probably end up purchasing it if I can't have a free sample! Even if I'm not hungry... I just really like buying food, for some reason! As far as 'useless crap' goes, I'm the last person that would buy stuff like that. I don't have a lot of 'stuff' in any event, and most of my money that's not going on bills/rent is going on food or DVDs in one way or another, so there's no real incentive for me to buy any useless crap. to be honest.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Yup, alllllllllllllllllllllll the time. The last one I bought was one of those pin art things where you have the two sheets of plastic and tonnes of pins between them then you put your hand or stuff into it and it keeps the shape. But yeah, I buy absolutely tonnes of useless rubbish haha.

Back