• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever start with a different pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    I dont know about you guys, but after playing every generation of pokemon, i got disappointed in the starters in D P and Platnium.

Ive been a fire guy throughout my pokemon life. The first time i played any game, i chose the fire type. But in the newest generation of games, i just couldnt do it! Im sorry, but IMHO, Chimchar looks, well, stupid. I even think his evolved forms look stupid.

The first time i went through Platnium i had my friend trade me a level one charmander.

And when i get a DS again, im planning on doing the same, except picking a different pokemon.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Chimchar looks, well, stupid. I even think his evolved forms look stupid.
    I agree.

When I was younger, I was all about Charmander, but now I change it up a bit.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I feel ya, dude. I've been fire all my life (but I do switch it up for sake of diversity) but my first time through is always fire. I was really disappointed in the Chimchar line. I actually prefer Piplup, but even still, I don't like all three of them that much. When I restart my DPPt games, I usually trade over different Pokemon at the beginning of the game or start with Piplup.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    IMO the starters are starting to lose quality in Gen III and IV (Torchic and Turtwig are great though).

In Platinum I chose Piplup (since I went with Turtwig in Diamond) and now I know I really don't like its evos. I did stick with it though, through the Pokemon League, but now it's pretty much abandoned to my PC.

DarkPikaMan

Dah Koolest Guy Evah! LOLZEEZ!
    Years
    I like Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treecko and Piplup I always choose these but I like Torchic's, Charmander's, Totodile's and Squirtle's evolutions

IMO the starters are starting to lose quality in Gen III and IV (Torchic and Turtwig are great though).

In Platinum I chose Piplup (since I went with Turtwig in Diamond) and now I know I really don't like its evos. I did stick with it though, through the Pokemon League, but now it's pretty much abandoned to my PC.
    You gotta be kidding me Gen III's starters are the best ones! Their final evolutions are the best ones (apart from Swampert he sucks Nurse Joy's fanny rash)

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I usually pick the Fire starters too, but actually loved Gen IV's starters. Chimchar himself looks kinda stupid, but Infernape in an absolute beast. On the other hand, I absolutely hated the Torchic line, Swampert is light years better.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Yup I go with these Fierys ! Torchic was my 1st ever Pokemon , and Blaziken was my only worth Pokemon since then . Then I kept at Fires , and when I restart my games , I sometimes choose another type for the sake of diversity . Sure , i once started with Bulbasaur in FR cuz I got bored of Charmander...

nd the only time I did this was on a Sapphire Run (MonoSpecies) . Traded over a Larvitar . And that's it .

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I think Infernape looks cool, I don't see whats wrong with that final evoution.

Blue: Charmander
    Red: Bulbasaur
    Yellow: Pikachu (Obviously)

Gold: Chikorita
    Silver: Cyndaquil
    Crystal: Chikorita

Sapphire: Torchic

Diamond: Chimchar
    Pearl: Piplup
    Platinum: Turtwig

I already have a good idea what I will do for HG/SS but I will reveal that once it is released in North America.

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
    I totally agree with you...

Chimhar and its evolutions look from cuty-bear for a 4 year old to a plain ugly weird ape.

I hated it so I started again... It really felt weird because I'm used to starting with fire pokemons. It really turned me off the first time i played pearl

So I chose pinlup, also a cuty 4 year old pokemon, but it looked a bit better. When it evolved I got dissapointed, and when it changed in empoleon, I just lmao... It was soooo bad seriously, look at empoleon. It makes me laugh, but I find it also weak, I mean what where they thinking?....

So I started again, hoping that grass would be better.

And it was a bit better, I think turtwig looks pretty weird, but I understand people disagreeing with me. Then it evolved and I got excited, but then it evolved again and I was said again... It was not even that bad, but it just felt like the illustrators had lost their fantasy.

I can imagine them saying:
    ''what will the last evolution look like?''
    ''I dunno, just draw a green-shelled dinosaur with an isle on his back''
    ''yeah great idea *sigh*''

and for the people who think its not that bad:

Compare it to:

And now compare everything in between, see how we slowely got worse?

btw: look at empoleon standing:')

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I remember in Emerald i restarted using Wailmer and in Platinum i used Sneasel (for a nice challenge)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Just for fun, when I played through Platinum I traded over a Meowth egg to start the show with.

Typically, I choose either the water or fire starters. Grass as an overall type never appealed to me.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    TheNameLess said:
    and for the people who think its not that bad:

Compare it to:

And now compare everything in between, see how we slowely got worse?

No, I don't. I know this is going to surprise everybody, and get everyone to think I have bad taste, but I like the newer pokemon, and I started out with Blue version. I mean, sure, Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur are great pokemon, and ones that we all remember from the first games. (Unless you started later) But, I like the newer pokemon more. But, I do understand where you guys are coming from, I think. I always use one of the starters from said game, though... no matter how bad it is.

Last edited:

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    Sick of the gen IV Hate i think they have some great pokemon and i have to say that on Charizard will always be my favorite starter but Torterra comes in a close second so i think u are all just looking for faults way to hard be happy with it or STOP PLAYING

Years
    No, I don't. I know this is going to surprise everybody, and get everyone to think I have bad taste, but I like the newer pokemon, and I started out with Blue version. I mean, sure, Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur are great pokemon, and ones that we all remember from the first games. (Unless you started later) But, I like the newer pokemon more. But, I do understand where you guys are coming from, I think.
    Seconding this. I think that Empoleon is much cooler than Blastoise, and Torterra is better than Venusaur. Charizard is inherently superior to Infernape, though.

Staying on topic, I've run with Bagon as my starter, plus all of my Monotype challenges have been outside of the starter types, so I think that counts, considering I've effectively replaced the starters with Caterpie, Mareep and Zigzagoon in RBY, GSC and RSE respectively.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years

OMG it's the penguin from Billy Madison!

Haha. The new starters are OK at best imo. To be completly honest I think that gen 3 has the wost starters (except for Treecko:) I mean Swampert and Blaziken... *Shutters*

Gen 1: I always stuck with Charmander or Bulbasaur.
    Gen 2: Cyndaquil all the way:p
    Gen 3: TREECKO!
    Gen 4: Turtwig

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Sick of the gen IV Hate i think they have some great pokemon and i have to say that on Charizard will always be my favorite starter but Torterra comes in a close second so i think u are all just looking for faults way to hard be happy with it or STOP PLAYING

People should stop playing because they don't like a couple of the Pokemon?

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    I like Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treecko and Piplup I always choose these but I like Torchic's, Charmander's, Totodile's and Squirtle's evolutions

You gotta be kidding me Gen III's starters are the best ones! Their final evolutions are the best ones (apart from Swampert he sucks Nurse Joy's fanny rash)

You think Swampert sucks? Weird, I think he's one of the best starters. He is the only starter with only one weakness. Also, he can have a varied moveset. I'd say Swampert is pretty good. I have a Lv.100 Swampert in my Emerald.

Favorite starters:
    Kanto:
    1. Charmander
    2. Squirtle
    3. Bulbasaur (Venusaurs look in DPPt.. just.. BAD imo)

Johto:
    1. Cyndaquil (Wooo!)
    2. Totodile (a bit less Wooo! I have a Lv.100 Feraligatr though :3)
    3. Chikorita (I don't think it's as bad as Bulbasaur though)

Hoenn:
    1. Treecko. Just. Win.
    2. Mudkip. Also. Win.
    3. Torchic. I was never really a fan of Blaziken.

Sinnoh:
    1. Piplup. It's so cute. :3 AND its evolutions are great.
    2. Chimchar. Too bad its evolutions are the grande uglynesses.
    3. Turtwig. I was wondering if I should put it as number two, but still, Turtwig doesen't have the same awesomeness level as Piplup or Chimchar imo. I am thinking about starting with Turtwig in my (hopefully) coming Platinum though. But I might go with Piplup.

My Platinum is hopefully coming this week. :3
    All of this is my own opinion, please don't flame me for my personal preferences. :D

Back