• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever use walkthroughs?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 12, 2013
    I don't find the pokemon games particularly challenging in linear times, most of the time it is more than clear which way you should go. However I always like to have a walkthrough open just in case I get stuck and to let me know what wild pokemon are about.

So, do any of you ever use walkthroughs? If so do you follow it religiously or simply use it as a reference?

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    I always use a walkthrough for the game... They're not hard, but having the walkthrough open really helps me get more immersed in the game. They are also probably the reason why my playthroughs take so slow :P

Idk. I buy them just because they're fun to play with. Anyone else like me?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I've never used a walkthrough for Pokémon. The game's way too straightforward and self-explanatory for me, I never needed an actual walkthrough to get me places. The closest thing I use is Serebii or Bulbapedia to find out where to find certain Pokémon or what Pokémon learn a certain move at what level. I refer to that from time to time, but not to any walkthroughs or anything like that. I like exploring and finding out, for example, what Pokémon a Gym Leader or Elite Four member has on my own so I can develop my own strategies.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I never used a walkthrough but I watch those types of videos and let's plays to get ideas for my team.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
    I've got the Pokemon HG/SS Kanto Walkthrough & Pokedex book - I find it really interesting & helpful, as it helps you get the most out of the game.
    (All item locations, tips, etc)

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    for pokemon, only once or twice, but for other games, all the time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    I had one when I was 10 for pokémon red, which I still have somewhere at home. It has an index of all the pokemon at the back, and it has Mew mispelled as Myu. Haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I only use a walkthrough after I finish the game once, then I can hit all the places I missed/didn't know about. :) Or if I'm in a place and I'm just really lost and absolutely cannot figure it out, then I'll use something. XD; I usually just look up a video instead of use a book now.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    No, I don't like to use them for the story. I like to figure things out for myself. I do use things like Bulbapedia to know certain things like what level a Pokemon learns a move and what not. I do use them if I'm stuck in a Pokemon hack though.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    I've only used guides for the E4 [but only after several attempts and I realise my movesets just aren't working or I dont have the vaguest idea what they're going to hit me with] and for Mt. Coronet on my first playthrough of Diamond [I got lost six times and used the wrong entrance the first time :P I know, I fail n.n']

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    These days, I usually only use it for Gen I and Remakes, because Koga and Sabrina and I think some other gym leader could go in like, any order. I like to follow the order that the game gives me.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I used to when I was younger and had no idea what I was doing in the game xD Now I don't use them unless I am desperately lost.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No. Pokemon is simple unless one really wants to get into statistics, but that's not for me.
    I tend to look things up on wiki sites out of curiosity, though.

Back