• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you follow EV Training Guides or use your own method for EV Training?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    There are lots of EV Training Guides out there, telling you how every individual Pokemon should be EV Trained & stuff, but are they always right?

I know, how you EV Train a Pokemon depends on the species, what moves you're planning to give it, its IV Stats etc. But still, there is no hard & fast rule for that.

I for instance always make sure I give at least 200 (many times the full 252) EV points in Speed, to (almost) every Pokemon I use in my team, regardless of how fast a Pokemon is, coz after all, attacking first is always an advantage. Its then that I look into where I want to distribute the remaining EV Points.

What EV Training methods do you guys follow?

Pika Pika :chu:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I usually use Smogon's competitive battling guide as a starting point for planning how I'm going to EV train my Pokemon, and then tweak it a bit based on what my particular Pokemon's strong points are and how I plan to use it. The guides are nice because I often tend to overlook certain things when I'm planning my training regimen, but like you said, the guides can't account for everything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2017
    In X/Y ev training is a lot easier but there are ways to make it even more easier, like via horde battling pokemon that give out a particular ev. there are many such guides, oh and use an oddish with sweet scent, that makes horde battles happen more often. Smogon has many guides but there are also many other guides that are one google search away.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Making a sweeper is usually very easy and doesn't require a guide. 4 HP or Def/ 252 Attack or Spec. Attack/ 252 Speed EVs.

For tanks and other roles, I usually go on Smogon to get an idea of what works and then alter it to see what fits best for my team.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Honestly, I don't really care but if I do any super training or something I'll just go on my own intuition, I don't go and look up how to do EVs at all.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
    Well, yes and no. I make up spreads for most Pokemon I use but sometimes, if I'm using a Pokemon for the first time (testing it out and such), I rely on Smogon's builds since they're usually reliable (I also look at the Smogon forums for them).

I used Nugget Bridge's guides to find out the fastest methods to EV trains when I got to the OR/AS post-game and it helps a lot ^.^

Years
    I use Smogon to for movesets and EVs. Of course, there is no right or wrong way to set up a Pokemon in terms of those, because it all depends on what roles they will play on a competitive team. I almost always have max Speed EVs for sweepers; for tanks, I like to invest towards HP in addition to what defensive stat is specializes in. Recovery moves are a big bonus for them too because it increases their longevity and in some cases, make room for more error. (not that you'd want to make errors in the first place) For training, I infect the Pokemon with Pokerus first, then use Sweet Scent to farm horde encounters.

A lot of my teams end up using the move Earthquake for some reason, in addition to a Steel-type move. Even with fairies around, I find that Dragons are still quite strong offensively and can still own if you set up properly prior to sending them in. For bulk focused teams, my favorites include protect, Leech Seed, and Toxic. U-turn and Volt Switch add more "freedom" in switching regardless of what team it's used on.

Years
    Before, I would use what I felt like for EV training, because sometimes I wouldn't mind wasting time EV training things in different ways. But with Generation VI, ever since I saw shofu's method of being able to battle five Pokémon at once in Horde battles, I stuck with that.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    I don't really pay any attention to EVs when casually playing through a game. But when I do, I make up my own spreads, just cramming all EVs in the two stats that looks like it fits best with the Pokémon and moveset, (special) attack and speed for a sweeper or (special) defense and HP for a tank.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
    When I EV trained my last team, I just looked up good spreads for their natures on Smogon and used those. I wouldn't really be able to tell which stats work best for which Pokemon with which natures and abilities yet, so I just copy from something that's usually tried and true.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    I agree that Smogon's EV Training guides are actually quite good, but I think that EV Training should be a mixture of both, I mean what guides say & experimenting on your own (the latter is what I mostly do), coz its what makes the playing the games more interesting.

Pika Pika :chu:

Back