• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you give 'em nicknames?

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
  • I looked through Pokemon General and Pokemon Gaming Central, didn't see this thread.

Anyways, do you give nicknames to your Pokemon? If you do, what kind of names and why?

As for me, I won't use a Pokemon in battle if it doesn't have a nickname. I know it's weird but that's just how a I roll xD I put way too much effort into naming my Pokemon and will even go to sites to look up the meanings and origins of names. For example, I had female Snivy and I wanted to give it a fancy name. I looked up names that pertained to 'snake' and I found Etheline. Other times I'll spend up to an hour or two trying to put together words or come up with a good name. Yeah. Uber-dedicated.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Haha yeah I am like the same way. I love giving my pokemon Greek mythology names it's really cool especially cause I'm really interested in Greek mythology[/SIZE]

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I'm the opposite. I very, very rarely give my Pokemon nicknames (usually only if I'm participating in the Nuzlocke Challenge). For me the Pokemon I decide to take on as team members are serious business and don't need any cheesy/silly nicknames. That's just me though :).

Last edited:

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
  • I always give my Pokemon nicknames, they make them feel special <3
    I sometimes refer to them as their real Pokemon names when I'm shouting out orders in my mind, though.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I always use nicknames, but mostly random or bad ones (bad as in Dood the Doduo). Of course, I only use nicknames for the ones in my team. I never name the others I caught just for the Pokedex since those will end up traded away, and I don't want to torture someone with my bad nicknames.

Years
  • I give the ones in my party a nickname, it probably sounds weird but it helps me bond with them better xD The nicknames aren't exactly good lol but I'm always happy with them :)

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • I sometimes do it depending on my mood, if im extremely happy then will give them random nicknames. Or if I'm in that extremely obsessed stage of things (Like When Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword came out) I name my pokemon after the characters.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I nickname my pokemon all the time so they can stand out from each other.

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
    Years
  • I love nicknaming Pokemon. Makes you feel kinda attached to it. It's even more entertaining if the Pokemon you're attached with dies in a Nuzlocke. Five points from Gryffindor if it's a Death Fodder, since they're pretty much useless 'cept the fact that they give us a turn to heal and stuff.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    I usually give most of my party pokemon nicknames, and most of the time it's a reference to something.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I very rarely give any of my Pokemon nicknames. I only give a nickname only when I catch two of the same kind, only one I will give a nickname, usually the female. So far I have only done that twice with cat-pokemon.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I alternate between giving them and ignoring the idea.

If it's the first time I'm playing a game of a Generation then I don't nickname my Pokemon. This playthrough is mostly spent getting used to new gameplay mechanics, moves, abilities and (of course) Pokemon. If I've nicknamed my Pokemon then it's unlikely that I'll actually be able to remember their species names by the end of the game.

Of course, past that I typically use nicknames. As I've said though, it alternates. I try to avoid stereotypical nicknames whenever possible, and often look to other languages and related topics for inspiration... but most of the time I give them something that sounds interesting but has nothing to do with them.

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
    Years
  • i usually don't nickname my pokemon but there are some exemptions for example:
    1. my kingdra is female so just had to name her queendra
    2. i called magnezone magnificent because it sounds similar and he is magnificent
    3. i called my metagross metaX because the "gross" part sounds gross XD and the X is short for cross because its similar to cross and he has an X in his face
    those are all but I'm proud of those nicknames :)

i like cinnamon :)

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I tend to name most of the pokemon a latin word, Foreign, scientific, astronomic, or a word related to the type or appearance and origin of a certain pokemon. (ex. my Mightyena "Karimlan" after the tagalog word of "darkness", Archen/Archeops "Pteryx" due to it being based on "Archeoptery(x)giformes" a real world ancestor of birds and link between Dinosaur-Bird evolution.)

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    It varies, usually I don't give them nicknames but in a new Ruby file I nicknamed a Zigzagoon: Rigby (referencing Regular Show) and a Skitty: Mr. Kitty. That same file I 'nicknamed' all of my Pokémon, but the rest of the team were just decapitalized names.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I rarely nickname my Pokémon. I know it raises the happiness of a Pokémon if you nickname it, but I would end up spending too much time trying to think of a good name, only to end up giving it something I'll end up regretting later on. Though for my next play through of Platinum, I might decide to nickname them. :3

Perico

Ripper
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    Before BW I hated nicknaming my Pokémon, but don't know why I changed my mind and I nicknamed them in Black and White. I only nickname the ones which will be in my team and I usually choose a funny nickname (some Pokémon remind me of some people, so I name them after those people, always making the nickname to sound funny).

F1refly

Stuff and things
    Years
  • Occasionaly. My Sceptile in Pokemon Emerald is named Twitchy, after our adorbable bearded dragon, my Yanmega is names Helios, for some unknown reason and I named my Azumarril.................Jeffery. I don't generally like giving Nicknames but I do feel more attached to those that I've given names to.

Back