• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you give 'em nicknames?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I don't give them nicknames. I think they sound weird if I'd give them some. I always name everything by default. I'd rather go the simple way.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I just give them generic boy/girl nicknames. I'm really not all that creative with naming things. But I do like giving them some sort of nickname just so I'm not referring to them by their generic species name.

Years
  • Ever since Sapphire, I've always given my Pokemon nicknames (left them with their defaults in the first 2 gens). I always figured that having an un-nicknamed Pokemon would be like having a real world equivalent of a pet named Dog, Cat, Fish, Hamster, etc.

The only ones that I tend not to nickname, though, are legendaries. Considering many are supposed to be one of a kind, I don't see any point in naming a Mewtwo "Jimmy" or something like that.

Years
  • Even though I'm doing it on my current run of Platinum, I don't tend to nickname my Pokemon.

It's just that nicknames don't suit me.

Pothus

The Necromancer
    Years
  • I usually don't nickname my Pokemon.

But recently I tend to nickname them their Japanese counterpart names.

Because Lizardon sounds cool :)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I do, all the time. I figured at one point that nicknaming them would make things more interesting, so I started. Usually the name would somehow be related to the Pokemon in some way. But every now and then, I'd name one something completely random.

I did name my Rayquazza Slytherin once. That was... stupid.

Midnyte

Pokerus Failure, Newish PCer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I only give my Pokemon nicknames if they're in my party. Sometimes they're easily understood (e.g. my Typhlosion, Sparky, in my SS game), other times their meanings are misunderstood (my Lillipup in Black I nicknamed Anika, after my avatar's puppy on an online game someplace), and others still are just plain confusing (my Pansage, also in Black, was nicknamed Bagel....erm...yeah).

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    I give some of my team nicknames. I used to give them Latin nicknames, but I stopped because my friends could never figure out what Pokemon it was. Now I give them nicknames that have to do with their actual name (I have a Magnezone nicknamed Magnano)

Years
  • Unlike the majority here (it seems) I don't nickname mine. I really don't have a good explanation either. Maybe I just don't want to name it something and then later on in the game regret I named it that. o.o

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I don't usually nickname my pokémon, but since I did it in my first (rom)playthrough of Black, I've been doing it in the actual (legal)playthrough as well. I only name the pokémon I plan on using at some point, though. The rest will remain original-nameless forever. |D;
    I really get attached to Pokémon if I nickname them. I only chose names that I feel are right, though.

Years
  • I used to be incredibly anti-nicknames, thinking they were tacky and silly, but once I started a nuzlocke, I really enjoyed them! I now nickname every pokemon I get (usually after a character from a book or game or show or movie) but some times I go for random fun ones like Oh Snap! the wigglytuff. :D

I don't like to nickname them with people names, as I find that weird.

Years
  • I have ALWAYS for no apparent reason nicknamed my starter. Without fail.
    It was Bernie the Charizard
    Snap! the Feraligatr
    Gex the Sceptile (anyone else remember the Playstation game?)
    Raff the Empoleon
    And Slappa the Serperior

Otherwise I wait until my team has all it's EV's done and reaches level 50 before nicknaming it something great. It's kind of like initiation into my team I suppose, they aren't full members until they're fully trained and reach level 50?
    So far I've got Chalybeate(latin for steel or something), Interdum(latin for a Chromium alloy), Clupeus(Bronze when referring to large plates such as a shield), Wheatley(Portal 2), Aurum(Latin for Gold), and Stella(from Stellar as in stars and ****).
    In order, Aggron, Aggron, Bronzong, Magnezone, Lucario(SHINY) and Starmie.

I dedicate a good chunk of time to find the right name.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    I used to never do it lmfao.

Nowadays that has kinda changed. I'm pretty picky on what nicknames I give my Pokemon(if I give them nicknames), and even if I do, they will be badass sounding/deep sounding nicknames that will sound awesomely cool 8D

Shame that hasn't happened in a while though, can't be bothered to think of cool nicknames lmao ;O;

TeeheeLP

Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2013
    At the time I don't give my Pokémon nicknames, but in Emerald I 'normalized' the names of my Pokémon cause I didn't want them to be called like 'THIS' but like 'This'.

Years
  • As a child I only had two Pokemon with nicknames: my Pikachu in yellow ("Pika") and some Dewgong I traded with an NPC.

Now I always nickname my Team-Pokemon. The boxed ones only get nicknames in nuzlocke runs. I like to give them fitting names, though, often using google or translating related words. I usually call them something no one else would understand without an explanation, though.
    Like calling my Shedinja "Chrome" after the internet-nickname of an anime character, who is a troll, just because I get the feeling I'm trolling my enemies when I use it and they don't have any attacks that can hurt it... o_O

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I always nickname my Pokemon. I do it because it helps me like my party better. Plus, I really like the nicknames themselves sometimes, such as my Starmie, Giygas, and my Gliscor, Batman.

Back