• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you hate maths?

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    Math may not be my favorite subject but I am good at it. I just hate geometry. Algebra was pretty easy and I actually kinda liked it. Like Kairi said, it's not a lot of memorizing facts (I'm terrible at memorizing stuff like that) and once you learn when equations to use then it seems pretty easy... at least to me. Math and languages are the only two subjects I'm really good at...

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm a lot like Kairi on this subject. Math is my strongest subject (Heck, I'm counting on my AP Calculus credit from next year to bump my GPA into the top 10% range).

I get all excited when I have math problems in fron of me, I guess I like to excercise the logical half of my brain. I just love the sense of satisfaction I get once I take a long, complex equation and "magically" turning it into a single answer, thus justifying my total nerdliness XD

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Oh gawd.. I hate math and I suck hard at it too XP Thank God school's out XP

*dies*

Chiyo

heh.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2008
    CaRtOON said:
    Oh gawd.. I hate math and I suck hard at it too XP Thank God school's out XP

*dies*

Math isn't that bad! It seems easy...

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Meh..I dont hate, but i dont like it either. I'm going to be in Calculas 2 this coming school year...Man i thought that was colleage stuff in america?!?! Then again coming from japan they must think i'm uber smart or something ( i wish).

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Japan rocks!!

I'm going there as a foreign exchange student...sometime.....

Maybe you are uber smart though....

Goten Shy

K a w a i i
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 24, 2004
    I like it, not lover, not a hater. I just ofund out i got a 7 (thats good) for my SATS in year 9 (UK) and will be put in the second top set next year so im happy :D But sometimes its a pain XD

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    *hugs tmbjr and snowangel3181988* Smart people, always knew it? though I?m terrible at understanding the backwards and hypocritical English language. -.-;

Goten Shy

K a w a i i
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 24, 2004
    I love english! Tis so fun sometimes XD I love to write XD Yey! Go Me XD

Kairi, why does it have what you are doing under your name?

Next maths leson: wednesday. Inthe horrible room... XD

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Goten: That?s not really what I?m doing. I just set it to that as a kind of joke?I?m obsessed with her and often look at her profile to see what she?s doing. I stalk her! ^_^

AngelWolfie

Tiger Power!
    Years
    Can't stand it...I'm so incredibly bad at it that I have to go to a different class for math... My strong points are definately in Language Arts (English) and Art...No one in my class was able to top my grades in those classes last year! (7th grade) I'm pretty good in science, too, but my best grade in that was a B+.

Last edited:

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    Kairi said:
    *hugs tmbjr and snowangel3181988* Smart people, always knew it? though I?m terrible at understanding the backwards and hypocritical English language. -.-;
    Smart? I'm not really all that smart. I'm just good at math and languages. (2 complete opposites!) I'm not really good at English though. I am okay with it but nothing extraordinary. The only thing I always did really well on this year in English this past year was vocab quizzes. I'm pretty good at last minute memorizing for stuff like that... plus it was multiple choice. I used to be kinda smart in elementary and middle school but not really anymore. Now I'm a little above average but not by a whole lot. The weird thing is I'm good at math and I got B's all year in honors geometry but on my final and midterm exam I got C's which was my 2nd lowest grade out of all my classes. Most likely cuz I can't study for math... even though I hardly "studied" for my other classes...

And the English language is hypocritical and confusing. My teacher told us this... the word fish could be spelled Ghoti and still be pronounced the same way... that theory was from G.B Shaw. The GH makes an F sound like in the word though, the o makes an i sound like in the word button, and the ti makes an sh sound like in the word attention. So technically in the English language fish could be spelled ghoti...

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I don't see anything wrong with english o_O The thing is, we're sort of the culmination of all the linguistics advances from all of history. The mixing of the languages of the angles and germanics created a very rich language, which only became richer as we incorporated roots from greek, latin, and other languages. What we have today is the most descriptive language on earth. Our superior descriptive ability is a great gift for the english-speaking person if you ask me...for example:

Let's take the color red, and compare all our synonyms for it to those in some other languages.

Spanish: rojo

French: rouge

English: Red, Crimson, Vermillion, Ruby, Scarlet, Blood, Carmine, Cherry

For anyone who's read 1984, they would understand this. In order to gain total control over the minds of the english-speaking party members, Big Brother's followers invented newspeak, which would eventually end english. It would eliminate all synonyms, turning such things as good and bad into good and ungood. With the language taken to its simplest base, the citizens would not be able to think in the terms they were once able to, thus keeping thougts of individuality out of their minds. Although it's far from this extreme in many languages not as descriptive as english, it must be admitted that english allows us to have a broader spectrum of thoughts than other languages.

And, of course, with many words from many languages comes many different words. But I can say with mch certainty that fish could never be spelled Ghoti, and here's why:

"-gh" on its one could never make an f sound, there's no word in our language that does that. It is the second half of "-ough", which makes an "uff" sound in rough and tough. It can also be made "O" as in dough, "ow" as in plough, or "oo" as in through, but "-ough" or the "-gh" taken from that.

The o in button could make the i in button, but it depends on how you pronounce the word. I prounounce button "buttun", and I know other people who make the O a U and people who make the O an I.

As with my first example, ti can make an sh sound when paired with "-on", but not on its own. There isn't a word in the english language where ti makes an sh sound without it being in "-tion".

I'm not trying to argue or anything, just saying things the way I see it o_o;;

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
    I like Math when I understand it. I really didn't like it this year, and I had the most trouble with it. That might have something to do with how noisy my class was. I like easy math like, two digit multiplication, and adding, LOL.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    NIck! did you finally figure out what 2 + 2=?

That stumped you for a few days XP

J/K!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Kairi said:
    ehh...thankies for teh hugg...

I'm not as smart as you think, I'm extremely logical, but when it comes to being articulate and communicative, wherein lies my academic weakness. I absolutely hate English class now. All we do in High School English is read literature (that bores the **** out of me) and then write essays (which I can never make flow correctly or use references just right). I feel Essay writing is a form of art, (one that I just can't pick up) and expecting everyone in the schooling system to master that art is pretty, well, dictatorial. Why not force everyone to master paying a musical instrument or master the visual arts...it really doesn't make sense to me...

ehh...please excuse my rabidly political rant...

Soph

Chasing Arcanine with a spoon XD
    Years
    I HATE MATH! I HATE IT WITH A PASSION! I hate it so much that come grade 11, I dropped it and now im halfway through Grade 12 and I still dont do Maths...and im TERRIBLE at it O_o. I actually found out I have a literal Phobia of Maths...i mean I look at a page of sums and figures and stuff and draw a blank, I cant do the simplist mathematical equasion without desperate thought and panic, and under pressure I freak out so bad I start crying O_o. Hence trouble if math comes up in a science exam...I always fail the section -_-.

Back