• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters

FilbertTheFox

.:Welcome to Reality:. (>o.O)>
    Years
    I chose chikorita and unfortunately it somehow gained a new move 'Cut' *Looks at sister* -- so i ditched it for a magneton ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2014
    Sure I do Typhlosion is my starter and it's one of my team for any battle

72pokemonmaniac27

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    It depends, recently i havent been using my starter and only my shiny rayquaza and shiny charizard:) They're a pretty powerfull team.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    Always. I have never abandoned my starter. I think the only time I took it out of my party was considering replacing Cyndaquil with Charmander, but they're basically alike.

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    I only keep feraligatr and blastoise in my games

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011
    In every game exept for Platinum, because I don't like so much the starters from Sinnoh.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I've kept the starter in HG, yes, but in other games, not so often. I dunno, I just really liked that Typhlosion (and I named it Forever!), so I decided to keep it. XD;

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    I tend to keep my starter a while and then it gets undertrained because there's basically no challenge in training them anyway and then they become hm slaves xD

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
    Years
    I usually always have Feral with me. Once I get attached to any one pokemon it's hard not to want to keep it on my team c: Except Onix since he thinks it's cute to try and jump on my back like he's a Pikachu.....

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Not really.

Nidoking
    Nidoqueen
    Gliscor
    Seviper
    Venusaur
    Tentacruel
    Gengar
    Weezing

Gliscor's not a Poison-type, but I take your point. Stick Crobat in there instead and you're laughing.

To answer the post, yeah I keep my starter. I always play both games in each set of games, and on one I trade all three starters, and on the other I have a "proper" team which I catch along the way, boxing my starter as soon as possible. Example:

SOULSILVER TEAM

Nidoking
    Magmortar
    Ampharos
    Lugia (Noctowl until I caught him)
    Slowbro
    *CAN'T REMEMBER :(*

HEARTGOLD TEAM
    Meganium
    Typhlosion
    Feraligatr
    Mew (recent Event)
    Flygon (traded after E4)
    HM Slave Raticate

Strout

is a battle mage
    Years
    I always keep my starter. They tend to actually be useful later in the game, and early on too. Why give up a power house when it could help you out?

L5Animations

Gamer & Shiny Hunter
    Years
    I always keep my starter for my in game team. But for SS, I couldn't decide which I wanted. So I just picked Cyndaquil and when I got to Cherrygrove's PokeCenter I traded over the other 2 starters in egg form from my Platinum.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I normally keep my starters since other Grass Types are hard to come by most of the time, especially in FireRed and LeafGreen.

But If I could get Tangela earlier in the game, I probably would drop my Bulbasaur.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It's sort of yes and no for me....I keep the starter until after I defeat the elite four...

Then pokemon get switched in and out of my team like there's no tomorrow and sometimes (as is the case with my Meganium) the starter get's left behind level wise.

I'll still hopefully migrate it to Pokemon White when the time comes though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2011
    My Feraligatr had been IVs, wrong EVs and a bad nature. So no, I don't use it, it's just in my box. But I can't get my self to release it though >.>

Jerpy

Give me your cookies...!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    Of course, I mean, it carries all my memories... ;_;
    Also, starter Pokemon are easy to train so it's good for those who get annoyed training other Pokemon (such as myself...).

Back