• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    Your starter is your first Pokemon you get, so you make a certain bond with it. I think its weird if you replace it, unless it's for a challenge, or it's after the game and you're training other pokemon. I feel bad, because I traded my Infernape from Platinum so I could do something on HG, and keep forgetting to trade it back. Plus, they normally have great stats, and are normally stronger than most Pokemon you find for a while

Oh, and I chose Chikorita. I think it's awesome. I love light screen, or reflect, and although meganium is kinda weird looking, chikoreta and bayleef are cute! It has lower attack, but prioritizes better in defense, and is what I want if I'm going to have a Dragonite (Working on it)
    I normally don't have favorites though, and have been known to use Feraligator and Typhlosion, and have a hard time choosing my starter on other games.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Heck Yeah.
    I always keep all of my starter Pokemon in my pack.
    Plus it would be pretty sad if I left behind Feraligatr after all we have been through.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • I always keep my starter (now a Meganium), although after story mode my current team is all over the place and may or may not include him. I don't think I could ever trade him away...I'm also trying to get him a shiny leaf crown and as many ribbons as possible.

Anyone else feel weirdly "obligated" to really take care of their starter?

weavile77

maste of darkness...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    I always keep my starter (now a Meganium), although after story mode my current team is all over the place and may or may not include him. I don't think I could ever trade him away...I'm also trying to get him a shiny leaf crown and as many ribbons as possible.

Anyone else feel weirdly "obligated" to really take care of their starter?
    YES! Like it should always be a few levels higher than the rest of your team, and should know hm's for offensive reasons only (like Feraligatr and waterfall).

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    No because I like all my pokemon to have similar levels hence why my Quilava's only level 28 because most of my pokemon are level 20-30. I like having a balanced team.

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
  • YES! Like it should always be a few levels higher than the rest of your team, and should know hm's for offensive reasons only (like Feraligatr and waterfall).

At the starting of the game, I made sure my Totodile/Croconaw was exactly 2 levels higher than all my other pokemon xD And for some reason i never ever wanna teach my starter HM moves, unless their not entirely pathetic. My Feraligatr has surf ^^ but it would be sad if your starter had like Cut or Flash or something O.o

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2010
    I always keep my starter in my party, especially if its diverse like Charizard,Swampert and the 3 starters from sinnoh. When playing heartgold i usually pick cyndaqual as its a good 3 gyms until you even come into contact with a fire pokemon and pre evovled magmar isnt much to be desired in my eyes. Don't get me wrong,Magmortar is a fantastic pokemon,but you can't access him in game until you beaten red.

ßrooke

A Kiss With A Fist
    Years
  • I usually never do.. The only time I will is if I get the Kanto starters or if I can have a mudkip. xD
    In my SoulSilver I chose totodile, but I just keep it in my PC to look cute, lol.

Unknown Trainer

The one and only! =)
    Years
  • I usually keep my starter on my team but these days now i pretty much replace it with other Pokemon.

I'm always curious and like to try other Pokemon out.

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    With the exception of Diamond I always keep my starter in my team. It's usually one of the higher levelled Pokémon in my team so it's just an inconvenience to change.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • I always do because they're usually one of the best Pokemon you can get for a long time, and by the point you could easily form another party, it's usually well-trained. Such a hassle to replace it... Plus I get a bit attached. ^^;;

LegendaryJirachi

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • Meganium Lv. 100 (New Bark Town)

Of course. It's still on my team as a major wall. It has perfect IVs along with calculated EVs; therefore its stats are 275 HP, 155 Attack, 320 Defense, 155 Sp. Attack, 320 Sp. Defense, 150 Speed. Its moves are Light Screen, PoisonPowder, Reflect, and Synthesis.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Usually the starters are some of the best pokemon you'll ever find. Example: Feraligatr with Ice fang is usually all you need to beat Lance, that and an electric pokemon.

Back