• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2011
    I've always stuck with my starting pokemon in my part, till the very end! I saw a few people mention it before, and for me its the same reason- the bond that you develop with it. Bulbasaur will always have a very speciael place in my heart as my first ever pokemon... in Silver Cindiquil was with me to the end and latter Chikorita as well. I chose Torchic in Ruby and though I never finished the game I kept him in my party. As for Daimond (which honestly I wasnt that crazy about, but I did beat it) Piplup stuck with me through thick and thin!

I can't really part with my starting pokemon for too long...a few of them get rotated out to level other pokemon, but they always come back- and some of them never leave at all (Venasaur.)

1Roxas

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    I always keep my starter throughout the storyline, but after that I put it in the pc to train some other poke for a while.

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
    If my starter has a good nature and has what it takes to be a good battler, I'll hold on to it as long as possible. If not than I'll just dump it in the PC and use it every once in a while while I'm training other Pokemon.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I usually always do, but this time I'm thinking of swapping out the Totodile family for Gyarados unless someone can convince me otherwise. I would use Meganium but I'm planning on using my Celebi (Epic IVs and Nature) from the event on my team once I get to the Elite 4! Using it before that would be cheap to me. I already used Typhlosion in SoulSilver.

Last edited:

SonicTH

Crazy Sonic and Poke-fan
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    Sure I keep him...Usually starter has the highest level in my team.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I always do! I don't know, I feel like my team is always incomplete without my starter, haha. And every time I start a new game, I always think to myself "why don't I try a team without my starter this time?" But it never happens. XD I just find them so useful, I never feel a need to switch them out with another Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    I find it really difficult not to keep the starter... I used to feel genuinely bad back in yellow putting pikachu in the PC... and I suppose it just stuck! They never leave me!

Years
    I always play through the entire game and post story with my starter, though it usually doesn't make it to the competitive team due to random IV's.

Victor the Typhlosion has kicked more than his fair share of butt during my Johto adventure :P

My Quilava used to be named Victor, but now his name's Vector.

Anyways, yes, I always keep my starters, and I breed them with Dittos.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    heck yea!!! i always keep it with me because its like ash and pikachu, always there for you and their since the beginning ^^

D0N3GAN

Working on Pokemon White...
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    I always keep my starter Pokemon in my team, I build my whole team around him/her.
    Feraligatr is still and will remain in my party because she is just awesome.

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    I always keep my starter Pokemon. Not only because it's the first one I get but also because it's usually one of the strongest of its type

Back