• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters

Phototoxin

Lord of Darkness
    Years
    It depends... red yes, gold no, (went for a charizard instead!) platinum yes but then I made my 'actual team' (no HMs etc) and so far in black I have... but we'll see. I like to do themed teams but they are hard to do in the 'real game'
    I'm thinking of trying dragons again... predictable but nice. Alternatively ghost/dark..

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    i rarely keep my starter pokemon. first gen i always kept them but by second gen i started trying other pokemon. its not that i don't like them but i'm always underwhelmed by them

vagrantwanderer

Saturated Sarcasm
    Years
    I usually keep my starter, but I don't really care for any of the 2nd generation starters. My favorite of all time is still bulbasaur! I always keep a ninetales in my team too, because it is my favorite pokemon.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Of course I am. I never ditch away my starter Pokemon, unless doing a challenge.

Gary_MotherTucking_Oak

My Girth Alone>>>You
    Years
    Heh, I always keep my starter till the very end. Even in competitive battles I sometimes use my starters, they're awesome.

But, I'm Gary Oak, I just want to be the best. Those starters will help me reach it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    SS was the first game I played and actually ditched my starter. It actually felt kinda strange.

^ This, except with HG for me. I never really put too much thought into the teams I'd use in the previous pokemon games, but with all the changes and what not as this was the first gen 4 game I'd played - I felt like I had to do more planning than usual with the team of pokemon I'd end up with.

Umbreon Bob

Da Trainer
    Years
    ^ This, except with HG for me. I never really put too much thought into the teams I'd use in the previous pokemon games, but with all the changes and what not as this was the first gen 4 game I'd played - I felt like I had to do more planning than usual with the team of pokemon I'd end up with.

I too felt like I've been planning more, I also wanted to move away from some of the clichéd pokemon like Gyarados.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    For HG/SS it was a must for me since I just really loved the originals so much and wanted to nostalgia out. As for Pokemon Black and White or Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, not really. With the exception of Torterra and 'Smugleaf' none of the starters really POP for me, you know? I use Archen as my 'Replacement Starter'.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    Always Always Always. I have great memories of my starters. And they typically are really strong.

Altaïr

... Has one gear: Go
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I don't really keep my starter on my team anymore, except the 1st time I play a game. I replaced my Heartgold's Typhlosion with Houndoom and my Feraligatr with Electivire. And in Pearl, my starter's only a level 18 Prinplup, whereas my main team's in the 80s.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I always keep my starter. However, I was thinking about it while using Serperior on Black. Man, that thing's movepool...

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Generally, yes. In the newer games, I've began to ditch them sometimes though.

Red: Charmander Yes
    Blue: Venusaur Yes
    Yellow: Pikachu Yes
    Silver/SoulSilver: Meganium Yes
    Emerald: Torchic No
    Pearl: Torterra Yes
    Black: Dewott No

EDIT: Just realised this is for HG/SS. In SoulSilver, I did in fact keep my starter.

Years
    After so many play-throughs having one of the 3 starters on your team is repetitive and a little boring. I often ditch the starter for something better or worse; just as long as it's different.

Back