• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Do you like Pokemon Contests?

Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Did you like them? Do you think there should be a meta for them? Is there even a meta for contests?

Discuss!

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • Gen III contests were awesome. They were reminiscent of the battles in their simplicity, and yet had their own set of rigid rules. One could really get used to them. I wish they kept this basic structure intact and expanded it more, instead of turning it into dress-up minigames like in generation IV.

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
  • I was only able to play out the pokemon contests in Gen III, I haven't played the Gen IV pokemon contests. But I LOVED it. I don't recall their ever being a meta, but i desperately wished they brought it back into the new games.​

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I remember enjoying them quite a bit before, but they did frustrate me often, haha. Never got into the practice of raising Pokemon with movesets specifically for contests.

Years
  • I always liked the contests in Gen III. They were a cool alternative to regular battles that used your moves in a much different way. It was fun to train pokemon specifically for contests instead of battling.

Personally I lost all interest after that when it became about dress-up and dancing. Just doesn't fit with how I experience the pokemon universe.

Years
  • I loved the Hoenn Pokemon Contests, they were a fun thing to do post-game, or as you're going along. I used to love how the crowd would gather round to watch, it seems such a simple thing in modern Pokemon games but back then it felt like you were a star ;)

Sirfetch’d

I love them! I spent way too much time in my Emerald version growing berries and making them into PokeBlocks for my Pokemon to eat and excel in contests. I probably had over 100 hours on contests alone in my game :o

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
  • I've only done one contest (In gen 3) but it was funny, especially getting a ribbon for my Swellow.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2016
    I thought it was an interesting aspect that could've used more fleshing out. Like I love the idea of you as a trainer interacting with your pokemon not just as a trainer but as your pet and really making you feel connected to your pokemon but it was a bit too shallow for me. The contests are fun every once in a while but it didn't have enough depth to hold my attention for more than a half hour to an hour every once in a while. I'll give it this though, it did have it's use as a change of pace every once in awhile and it did have it's charm unlike making poffins.

Rabid Poochyena

[size=1][u][b][color=purple]You read my usertitle.
    Years
  • I use to like them more when I was a kid. I was 10 when the game came out so you can see why. I'm now 22 and the contests just aren't as fun as they use to be for me. But emerald will remain my favorite generation.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Honestly, I wished I was into them in Gen 4 but I was busy doing the competitive battling thing. In gen three they were quite fun. I really enjoyed winning the ribbon. Though at first I wasn't collecting berry's and making poffins to max out their cool/beauty stats whatever and I was wondering why I was losing so much xD

Years
  • I liked that they were trying something different by adding the contests, even though it wasn't really for me. I managed to take my Castform all the way through to win the Master Rank Beauty Contest with it, but I could never be bothered to beat the other 4.

The Berry Blender is still one of my favorite minigames from the Pokemon series though, so I guess we have the contest halls to thank for that, haha.

Back