• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like the plot of the mystery dungeon games?

Years
  • What is your opinion on the plot of the mystery dungeon games?
    Personally, I find it deeper than that of the original games, although the recurring themes of betrayal, friendship, and underdog stories do get annoying after a while.
    I'm also curious as to how you all think it relates to the main pokemon games, as well as other spinoffs like XD, and is this plot style the right direction for Pokemon games?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like MD's plot because you're a human who became a Pokemon, eventually has to leave when the main story is done, but eventually comes back.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I liked it the first time around. Anything after PMD Red and Blue just seems meh. They're all a bit like cheese balls with the corny little lessons about friendship and stuff, and I'm not one for mushy stuff (but I'm still a big soft teddy bear and it brings a tear to my eye I guess) so idk. I don't think it's the right direction for all games though. The sop stories have that "PMD vibe" that I hope none of the other Pokemon games have to touch any time soon.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
  • I surely enjoyed it, not as an original new storyline, but rather as something 'out of the box' for Pokémon games. Generally, the concept is really good. But the 'plot'...it's okay, I guess.

Also, don't compare this to XD. Don't. ;(

Years
  • I don't like the Mystery Dungeon games... I love them.

To me, those have been the best spinoff Pokémon games so far and I badly want a sequel.

When I first heard the announcement of the 2nd Mystery Dungeon, I was convinced that those games couldn't live up to their expectations as Red/Blue were like perfect games story wise in my opinion. I mean, there had never been a game before that had actually made me cry :D

Well, I was wrong since I enjoyed "Explorers of Time" much more than Team Blue.

The guild was the best addition if you ask me :3 It's nice to see how all the guild member become your friends after a while, even Chatot sacrifices itself for you at some point.

Then going to this miserable future was quite fun as well and the battle against Dialga was a blast! I remember staying up all night just to finally beat it at 8 am xD

What was also nice was that you are first tricked by Dusknoir into thinking Grovyle is the bad guy when it's actually Dusknoir :D

Yea, overall I like "Explorers of Time" a lot better than "Team Blue" although it wasn't a bad game either.

And I believe I beat PMD2 4 times already :3

SpiralHorn

Feels like an old fart D:
    Years
  • My god, do I love the PMD games. They're better than the main Pokemon series in a lot of ways, imo. Explorers of Time is right up there with Final Fantasty Tactics A2 in sheer epic DS gaming. I love the story, the art style, the detailed animations, the dialogue, so much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2011
    yeah are very nice games, i only played the first but i want the second :$

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • I love the PMD2 storyline, and I love how it was enhanced (Shaymin, w00t!) for Sky. I can't make it through the game without crying. Ah, my poor, annoying electric furball of a partner... why did I have to leave you? XD

Blazesaga

Even heroes can lie in shadows
    Years
  • I love the MD style games, I wish they'd make more. Anyways, It's hard not to cry through it (Even MD haters have to admit it, you know you did!). The concept of a human turning into a pokemon not only was unique but inspired many famous rom hacks such as jagold's Ruby Destiny Rescue Rangers. This is a good Pokemon game, and aparrently popular, however in relation to other games such as XD and main games, it really has no relation to them other than the pokemon being in it.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • It was really sad ]; I found it to be a little moving which is unusual for a pokemon game but it was just really sad... I liked PMD Time's story line a little better than Red/Blue, but bother were excellent.

Years
  • I liked the plot when it was first introduced, (like with the first two games), but then the with the other games it just got kind of boring to me, since it was basically the same thing.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • The plots where good. I liked how it starts out and how it ends. All of the plots makes me cry when I watch the ending. I haven't played "Red rescue" for a while so I don't remember the plot quiet well yet and has never finished that game so I can't really put a opinion on that plot but the Explores of Sky plot was the one I enjoyed. I wonder what the next game plot would be.

New2

<--- Your squishy doom.
    Years
  • I loved PMD Red and Blue, but PMD2 wasn't as fun for me as Red and Blue Rescue Team(s). However, I did like the plot twist in PMD2 when Dusknoir became an antagonist. Don't get me wrong, I still love the PMD series, and I cried on every single one.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I didn't play the second and third game but I did play the GBA Red version, it was pretty sad, I liked the end when you have to say goodbye, but then your allowed to stay. xD

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I loved Sky, and it is my absolute most favorite game ever! The storyline was great, I appreciated the break from the main games where all you do is catch Pokemon, kick some random Team Whatever butt, beat Gym Leaders and the Elite Four. But I'd have to admit the thing I liked most about them was the music. It was just amazing. Sky is an awesome game, although the dialogue can be a bit long and mushy.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I thought that the plot was a bit repetitive, and MD2 seemed a little little bit childish. I mean, "I am scared, but I'm going to be brave and stand up to you bullies!" No offense, but that sounds like one of those recent "stomp out bullying" commercials that are all over kids channels.

Back