• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you look down on people who are doing low skill jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    eh i don't think i do. people are lucky to have any kind of job if they have one. im lucky to have a little job as a cashier.

Years
    Not to sound disparaging myself, OP, but how old are you? What kind of job do you have yourself? Do you know how difficult it is to get a job? Do you actually know the background of those people that you judge for being "lazy"?

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    Damn . i know this will coming up. you cant judge person unless you know them. BUT in the real world , it does not work that way. For example., If u see a fat person, u gona assume
    that no exercise. the same go for people who do low skill job. The problem is you dont have time to get to know everyone. Everyone judge. Would u be friend with someone who has tattoo all over their face???? he might be a good person.. BUt DOnt judge get to know him.!!! i dont understand this mind set
    holy sweet christ are you always this ignorant or is it like a seasonal thing?

it's kind of appalling to me that there are still people in the world that hold beliefs like this; people that think everyone who sees an overweight person is 'gona assume that no exercise.' no, I don't make that assumption, and it's incredibly offensive that you think everyone automatically makes that assumption, actually. who the ♥♥♥♥ cares if someone has a bunch of tattoos? that in no way reflects who they actually are, and is an awful way to determine who you want to be friends with.

also I audibly laughed at you saying "i dont understand this mind set" at the end of this post after saying that everyone judges and making the ridiculous assumptions you made earlier in the post. goodness gracious

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
    Damn . i know this will coming up. you cant judge person unless you know them. BUT in the real world , it does not work that way. For example., If u see a fat person, u gona assume
    that no exercise. the same go for people who do low skill job. The problem is you dont have time to get to know everyone. Everyone judge. Would u be friend with someone who has tattoo all over their face???? he might be a good person.. BUt DOnt judge get to know him.!!! i dont understand this mind set

Do you think people start at the top of each career they choose? Because that's not how the world works. You have to start somewhere.

And as stated many times in this thread, sometimes you won't have a choice. Sometimes, you have to work at low-paying jobs, possibly giving up on your dreams just to survive. Also, without all the people doing 'low-skill' jobs, what do you think will happen? Garbage won't magically disappear, Macdonalds and other fast food restaurants wouldn't make any food, etc.

Also, all of your talk about judging people before you get to know them is a horrible mindset. Sure, a guy with lot's of tattoo's all over his face might be a thug, but they could also be the kindest, most generous person you'll ever meet!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    This day in age, people are lucky to have any sort of job. So many people are out of work right now, and circumstances don't always work in someone's favor. Someone who once made millions a year, and worked a high end job could just find themselves flipping hamburgers one day. Does that mean they're any less of a person? No. It means that hit some hard times, and the last thing that people need are to be looked down upon just because they're trying to get by.

Not everyone, college education or not, are able to land what are considered as "good jobs". ♥♥♥♥ happens. Someone has to prep your food, or take your trash, or help you at a gas station, and a lot of times they're nice about it and happy to do it, because people need those types of services. What if no one worked those jobs? lmfao. Think about it.

No, I don't think any one person is lower or higher than anyone else just because of the work that they do.

I've known high-paid doctors who were scum of the earth, and court judges who hated their job. I've also known cashiers who loved their job. Just because you work a job that's higher up on the scale doesn't mean you're gonna be any happier than someone who picks up people's trash in the morning. We're all really just people, and on the same level as everyone else around us.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    Let me put in this way. If you born in america, and you are in your 30s and still doing low- skill job, you deserve to be look down upon.

If you are immigrant and don't speak English well, it is understandable that you do low skill job in america so you don't deserve to be look down upon.

are we agree on that?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    No one is agreed on that in the slightest. Everyone is saying that that is wrong.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Let me put in this way. If you born in america, and you are in your 30s and still doing low- skill job, you deserve to be look down upon.

If you are immigrant and don't speak English well, it is understandable that you do low skill job in america so you don't deserve to be look down upon.

are we agree on that?

No, no not really. There are so many different things to consider.

No one in a low-skill low-paying job wants to be there. Not one, I guarantee it. They all want more and try to achieve more. Then there are the people that get the job for bad reasons..like unemployment fraud. Those people do deserve to be looked down upon but they aren't really relevant to what we're talking about.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019

No, no not really. There are so many different things to consider.

No one in a low-skill low-paying job wants to be there. Not one, I guarantee it. They all want more and try to achieve more. Then there are the people that get the job for bad reasons..like unemployment fraud. Those people do deserve to be looked down upon but they aren't really relevant to what we're talking about.

I know no want to be there. there are many kind of low skill but high paid job such as police officer, fire
    fighter. Let be real, Life in america is not that bad, opportunity is everywhere!!.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    As I said earlier, they are probably stuck in this kind of position with no way out. I would not look down on someone because they are doing what they need to do to get by.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019

are we agree on that?

No. You still don't deserve the right to be looked down upon. My neighbor lost their job and is working at Kohls. I look up to her for her hard work.

No once again, my parents were immigrants and my dad became an executive in his profession.

I know no want to be there. there are many kind of low skill but high paid job such as police officer, fire
    fighter. Let be real, Life in america is not that bad, opportunity is everywhere!!.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find you to be not very knowledgeable of the 'real world'.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

No, not really.

One day that could be you, and if someone thought that way about you, wouldn't you feel bad?

Don't say that it won't ever happen, because things change. Take nothing for granted.

If everyone who did low level jobs one day just.. stopped, and weren't around to help anymore, where would anyone be? People who worked in fancy offices wouldn't know how to control a cash register, or deliver their own mail, or order food to their local grocery stores. Someone has to know how to do it. We should respect people who do those types of jobs for us.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    Nope not at all. I have respect for people with low skill jobs. But that's mostly because I'm in those type of fields myself. Hell, I'm just a soldier and a mechanic, it ain't rocket science to figure out what I'm supposed to do. A lot of people just haven't had, or missed out on an opportunity to move on up in the world.

Years
    I don't look down at them. I am one of them, and will be for the foreseeable future. Most of my immediately family is the same way. Gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Aw man, let's talk in 5 years when I will still be working foodservice, because I can't afford to go back to school. I know I have the smarts to get a degree, but it costs money. Loans are near impossible to get rid of if things go south, too. I barely scrape by as it is. School is not an option for me. It's not that easy, even in the US.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    People are different so you have to treat people base on what they deserve.
    let say the earth is about is to get hit by asteroid, who would you pick to be on your spaceship? retailer or engineer?

most of people would pick engineer. .... so most of people look down on retailer. it just human nature.... deal with it

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    No, not really.

One day that could be you, and if someone thought that way about you, wouldn't you feel bad?

Don't say that it won't ever happen, because things change. Take nothing for granted.

If everyone who did low level jobs one day just.. stopped, and weren't around to help anymore, where would anyone be? People who worked in fancy offices wouldn't know how to control a cash register, or deliver their own mail, or order food to their local grocery stores. Someone has to know how to do it. We should respect people who do those types of jobs for us.
    Exactly. I don't understand why people have a hard time understanding that.

Plus, there are always opportunities to grow in low-skill jobs. When this new store finishes being built I will be making almost $40,000. I'm 21, no degree and it will only go up. Why would I spend $50,000 on college in my desired field to graduate and get a job where I only make $30,000 the first couple years?
    let say the earth is about is to get hit by asteroid, who would you pick to be on your spaceship? retailer or engineer?

most of people would pick engineer. .... so most of people look down on retailer. it just human nature.... deal with it

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

It's not "human nature" to look down on people in retail jobs. Retail jobs do not exist within our "nature" - they are entirely constructed things that only exist within society. Therefore, all our attitudes towards them are informed by our socialization as we grew up. You are begging the question in this post; you are once again assuming that "what they deserve" is less than another person because of the job they take.

As much as you want to argue that everyone looks down on these people, you are just not right, and the people who don't look down on them are far more compassionate, thoughtful, and sympathetic. It is simply a bad position to take to decide one group of people are "less than" without any idea of the circumstances of their lives. You keep claiming that so many people think as you do, but not a single person has yet agreed with you, so where is your proof that everyone things this way? It seems more like you think this way and have to believe other people think that way to be able to feel good about the judgment - even to the point of disbelieving every single person that tells you otherwise.

If an asteroid was heading towards Earth, I would not be in charge of the spaceship. And if I was, I would take my friends. I would take my unemployed best friend, I would take my lawyer boyfriend, I would take my friend working in retail and my friend working in engineering. And if I had leftover spaces after taking everyone I cared about, I would take families. I would not consider someone's job on Earth when I'm deciding who to save from death and bring to outer space, because that's dumb.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years

Oh my gosh, that's the most biased example I have ever heard. XD

Let's take your example and put a twist on it. I'm opening up a store, would I rather hire a person with retail experience, or an engineer? I would rather pick the retailer, so the engineer must suck at life and deserve all of our crap.

No, each job has its time and place. Retailers can't fix spaceships, just like how engineers might not make the best salespeople. The beauty is that just about anyone can learn how to do these things. It's all a matter of background and interest.

Let's say the engineer comes from a rich family. He went to college, graduated, and landed a job on your spaceship. That's great, but what if he's unhappy. What if he'd much rather be a writer, but he didn't have enough of a backbone to stand up to his parents? What if he stays awake in bed every night wondering what could have been? Yeah, that doesn't sound so great.

Now let's take a look at the retailer. I don't know about you, but he's looking pretty darn happy. What if he's the happiest guy on Earth? What if his family didn't have any money to send him to college? Who are you to judge?

To me, you can have any job you want, as long as you're happy. That's the biggest thing in life, really. As long as you're happy, nothing else really matters. Of course, bills have to be paid, but assuming those are taken care of, what really matters to me is if you're happy.

Besides, if we're willing to judge people, I have a few paragraphs I could fill out judging you for your closed off mindset and grammar, but that wouldn't be fair, now would it? I don't know your story, so I shouldn't judge you based on that. I can have my thoughts, sure, but I wouldn't take it any farther than that.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    In third world countries, it would be understandable since there are not much opportunities.

In first world countries such as U.S., there is no excuse. I don't have much respect for people who
    born in america, speak English, in his/her 30 and still doing menial jobs. Seriously, these menial jobs
    are for immigrants who English skill are not good. They have much opportunites in america and all
    they know is cleaning, retailing etc... they are lazy.

what your opinion?
    my opinion is... you're a ♥♥♥♥ing idiot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back