• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you miss the older generation Pokémon?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Honestly, in my first playthrough, I didn't miss them at all. I was having so much fun discovering new Pokémon and training them that I barely even thought about adding anything to my team from previous generations.

Of course, in my playthrough of White, I traded in a Cherubi to use because that's just the way I am but otherwise, my team was fully 5th gen again. And I think next time I play, it's gonna be fully 5th gen once more. (And a game's Pokémon selection has to be REALLY awesome for me to not use a Cherrim in it. :P)

Anyway, I love that they didn't put any earlier gen Pokémon in the main plot of the game. Seriously, it meant they didn't have to get lazy with the variety. We didn't just see Geodude and Zubat in every cave again. When you surf, you don't run into Tentacool, Tentacool, Tentacool, and more Tentacool. And overall it's just... a lot more fun because you aren't so tempted to grab something you're familiar with just for the sake of familiarity. It's like playing first gen all over again--you don't really know what something is when you catch it. And gym battles aren't all old Pokémon + one newcomer. It really made it more interesting for me.

Nameless.

Generation 5's Pokemon are something else entirely. This is the very first time I haven't wanted to use past generation Pokemon in any game at all. I typically use at least one past generation Pokemon in one of the games unless it's Generation 1 of course. xD This time I love so many of the Generation 5 Pokemon that I don't want to use any older Pokemon. The lack of them only makes it even more fun and adventurous. Gives a great feeling of a new generation and a grand distance between the Unova region and the rest. The fact they kept older gen pests out only improves the quality of training and encountering Pokemon as well in the game. You don't expect the same old same old over and over again. XD

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    No, not really. We've had them for 4 other generations. Plus the east side of Unova has older Gen. Pokemon anyway.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    No, not at all tbh. I would have died if I found another damned Zubat in a cave DX Or another Rattata, or Zigzagoon. I loved how it was all completely fresh and new, No annoying old pokemon popping up instead of the new pokemon. Surfing is like going ot be sooo peaceful without Wingull, Tentacool and pelliper. Can't wait XD

Years
    It's a fresh start. Some of these Pokemon I like already. I'm getting both games as my brother doesn't seem to like them. I already miss some of my top older Gen Pokemon but they're coming once the Elite Four are beaten. Unova is distant from other Regions and also they think that Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are suspicious. Weird....

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I like how every pokemon you fight before finishing the game is new. The other generations were getting very repetitive. Plus, you can get past generation pokemon after beating the game, which is also good. I believe they did the right thing.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
    Meh. After the national dex I brought over anyone I really wanted or just some poke on to fillnup my pokedex. Really the only ones that I might "use" that aren't Unovs are Rayquaza, Girantina, and Infernape. Other than that I love Gen V pokemon.

Years
    im in two minds about it.
    i love the fact tht i dont know wats goin to come at me when i reach the next area in the game but of course i do miss the old gens aswel cuz i grew up with them and they are familiar to me, but im glad i can have them again once i get the natioonal dex so i guess its fine :D

Pidgeotto

Fly Spammer Extraordinaire
    Years
    The original Gen I Pokemon will always be my favorite. I do like that we get new Pokemon though, but the original 151 are pretty much perfect.

|Torch|

Fire Trainer!
    Years
    Idk the older generations weren't the best at acknowledging the Fire-Type Pokemon..

Also the older generations 1-4 held a combined 18 fire-type pokemon (not counting there evolutions.)
    And now with this region has a total of 8 fire-type pokeon all on its own! (not counting their evolutions.)

Thats incredible! and opens alot of opportunity for Fire-Types Im Stoked!

:D

*So do i miss the older ones.. yes, but like many are saying i will be able to unite them after the elite four so its ok!*

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    Before I got Black I thought I was not going to like it because there were no Pokemon. But when I got it I thought it was so fun to discover new Pokemon and now I don't miss the oldies that much

Years
    I don't miss the older Pokemon. I love all the new Pokemon. You can always just get the older Pokemon after you beat the game so its no big deal.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Absolute not, I see plenty of previous generation pokemon post game. I'd much rather have the fresh sense of new pokemon then have to deal with the same ole pokemon that I have seen through the last 4 Generations over and over again.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    When I play Pokémon games, my team always has only Pokémons of the Region of the game. Why?? Because want to try different teams and it's kinda dull to use same teams every time. And if I miss older Pokémons I can just begin a new journey in older games. It's that simple...

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    At first I did, but once I actually started the game I was having a blast with these new Pokémon. So.. no. Because once I beat the game, I got to transfer over my Charizard and other powerhouses.

Back