• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you model your hack after anything?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
  • Does anyone else take inspiration from any other games when they're making their hack? It can be Pokémon or non-Pokémon.

For me I really enjoy the 4th generation games (D/P/Pt and HG/SS) so I try and stick to what was done so well in those games. I really like the Pokémon included, rivals, features and how the story is set-up.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Well I guess I do...

xD

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Quite a lot.. The story of my hack takes lots of elements of several rpg games (and especially Final Fantasies), and I have also "stolen" some features from them as well and implemented them with some purpose in the hack. I have used at least three neat things introduced FF7 and FF9 in DE; there is Battle Room that is similar to the Battle Arena of FF7, same goes for a mining sidequest that is similar to digging the Lunar Harp with some diggers that have to be paid to work for you, and there is a cold cavern called North Star that is similar to Ice Cavern of FF9 in a way that you can black out in the cavern due to the cold although FF9 implementation is quite different.

Not very original, but players who are not into Final Fantasy series will probably feel like it is.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • Yeah, I like the 4th generation of Pokémon a lot too. Not so much HGSS as DPPt; but yeah, my hacks tend to do some of the things seen in those games

Definitely. I'm blatantly stealing features, possible minigames, and dungeon/Gym puzzle concepts from other games all the time for my main project. Some of the games that I've lifted ideas from include Monster Rancher, Space Invaders, Star Fox 64, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Pokemon Colosseum, Minish Cap, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Final Fantasy 9, and of course other Pokemon games (Pikachu's Beach!).

Even some ideas for how areas look are inspired by real-life places that I think would be interesting to explore in-game. Parts of NYC (Times Square, Lower Manhattan, Spanish Harlem, Central Park, the Highline, and Battery Park are a few), Barcelona, the Nile River Delta, Ibiza, and Mount St. Helens pre-eruption are some of the areas I've taken some cues from when designing areas and mapping them out. I have a horrible, noxious swamp that no one would possibly want to go to that is directly inspired by New Jersey and its people (zing!). Some area inspiration also comes from other games. My desert "route" takes cues from Uldum in World of Warcraft, with oases scattered around to break up the monotony as well as ancient, ruined aqueducts to prevent the player from just walking straight across and force exploration. I have a mountain that's partly inspired by Cleyra's Trunk in FF9. I have an optional, large ocean area that takes inspiration from Wind Waker's Great Sea. Other areas are just a given, you know, the ones that every Pokemon game ends up having; but I always try to give them a twist to keep the player interested.

There's a Performer Trainer class that parodies actual artists that the player can run into occasionally.

The commercials on TV are sometimes parodies of real ad campaigns. One is Corphish Crackers, "The snack that smiles back, Corphish!"

So yeah, I'm a thief. I have a ton of original ideas too, and putting the Pokemon spin on the concepts and ideas lifted from elsewhere does take some finagling, so I think my ratio of original stuff to stolen stuff is probably still good.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Yes, when I ever get around to starting my unnamed hack, I will be modeling it after HG/SS and B/W, even similar cities will appear (though, there will be reasons for the similar cities). I will even model it off the Dragon Quest series.

Another hack I am planning on making, which will be Naljo Adventures, it will be based from Pokémon Prism and Pokémon Brown, with a much different story line and more Pokémon.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    I like to model my hacks after things that I've found that I like in other games, in particular other Pokemon games and even other hacks. I don't try and copy anything, but I like to use them as inspiration.

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
  • I actually don't model games, I like to model things that happen/could happen in real life or whatever. True things is that most of the time I'm doing graphical stuff so I can't take too many ideas when I don't script too much lol

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • I try to model towns and people after the ones that I've lived in or have been to.

There are certain things that I try to go off of from other hacks and games too, but I try to keep that as little as possible to keep my games unique and one of a kind.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Yes, and I feel that it makes my work more different/unique. I take a lot of inspiration from the tales of games, especially tales of symphony (In my opinion the best JRPG game).

Back